LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

2 hours ago, pippy said:

I was wondering about the case and whether it was 'Made to Measure' (much like the suit, no doubt!). Is the ESMIT case the correct one for the model 1 cameras?

My 1a to 1c conversion needs a case (no strap lugs) and I've just bought an (incorrectly advertised) "Leica" case which, in fact, is a fudged-over FED 1 case but, oddly enough, is a better case for my purpose as there is no cutaway for a slow-speed dial and the shape of the leather fits the outline of the lens-mount more closely.

I now have three of these 'non-cut' FSU cases and my intention is that one will have its nose sacrificed in order to let me carry the camera with a longer-than-Elmar lens mounted.

Philip.

Philip, the ESMIT case is rarer than a hen's tooth. The only ones I have seen are my one (which came with a I Model C) and the one shown in Angela von Einem's book. The ESMIT has a high top to take a rangefinder. There is a 'one storey' version called the ESNEL 2 for the camera on its own which is also shown in the extract from von Einem's book below. It should be slightly less rare than the ESMIT, but finding original cases that are 90 to 95 years old is not easy.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, Ambro51 said:

The Suit is Charvet 28 Plas Vendome Paris France.  The House of Charvet goes back to 1838 when they became the first maker of “shirts” as we know them today.  Presently they make shirts, ties etc to the absolute highest standards.  On the top floor of their Paris store is their Suiting department.  Unlike most Bespoke tailors, Charvet does not have a particular ‘house style,’. They have the skill to make anything the patron desires, from any cloth made.  This particular suit is a Double Breasted 6 over 2 made from Wainroyal Pure Cashmere woven in Huddersfield UK.   It it Bespoke for Sir David Tatham, British Diplomat, author and Governor of the Falkland Islands.  Sir David and I are both 42 R.    What is truly amazing is that nearly everything on this suit is hand sewn with needle and thread.••••• Breathtakingly Warm, Soft, Comfortable and Lightweight, .....for $9,000 that’s what get.••••• The case, from a Leica Null Series, the Camera, UR Leica Replica #80 modified by Mr. Kim in Seoul.   The lens is exactly what Barnack used, the 42mm Mikro Summar.   The VIDOM sets to 42 mm and answers well as a finder.  Yes, it works 🙂

Charvet is a name that is very familiar (I should really say infamous) name to many of us here in Ireland. One of our former Prime Ministers was a great fan of Charvet shirts and visited their store in Paris every time he went to meetings there with his opposite numbers. Enquiries later revealed that the money he was using to patronise the Charvet brand was not his, but rather borrowed from banks and other sources. I'll say no more, but that much is all on the public record. 

I have the right lens then and I can start working on the rest of the camera. George Furst showed me his example when we were in Wetzlar a few years ago. I took a photograph of George with the camera hanging on Oskar Barnack's grave. I also have a photo of George explaining his Ur Leica project to Jim Lager, who was very impressed. 

William

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fascinating, William! Thanks for that post! I could even use some of my 'O'-level German for once!

I'll have a closer look at my FED cases tomorrow. One is certainly pre-WWII and I would be loath to butcher that one as it came with my 1935 / 36 "PEO 190" FED-1 with Grey-Green vulcanite covering. Not wishing to go too far off-topic (as I invariably seem to do) according to 'Production Numbers V's Survival Rates' for these cameras and from this period the chances are that there are possibly only around a dozen still around.

Philip.

EDIT : As I know many here are interested in the early days of the Barnack copies here is a snap of the camera in question;

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, pippy said:

Fascinating, William! Thanks for that post! I could even use some of my 'O'-level German for once!

It was just the version with the 'bra strap' that I wanted to show you as there was an example of the strap in Ambro's earlier post. I have a slightly later case (not sure of the name), similar to the ESMIT, which also takes a rangefinder in the top, but as it has a screw in the base, which later became the norm, the top strap was no longer necessary. The earliest Leica cases were the ETRIN Models, which were like purses, two examples of which are shown here. These also have space in the lid for a rangefinder and the larger one on the right can hold a cardboard tube containing two FILCAs. I have a lot of different Leica cases, but I have rarely come across two that are exactly the same.

William

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi,
I am very lucky because I have two ESMIT...and one ESNEL who came with 1A. It should be noted that these ERCs did not have screws to fix the camera to the base, but usually a strap on top blocked the camera for the Esmit. One has a strap, the other one doesn't!
The camera was held by the shape of the lens cut-out and was forced into the ERC. It's quite difficult to remove it which is reassuring!
Dennis Laney in his book Collector's guide does not mention this accessory unless he found it with another name?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, PG Black nickel said:

Hi,
I am very lucky because I have two ESMIT...and one ESNEL who came with 1A. It should be noted that these ERCs did not have screws to fix the camera to the base, but usually a strap on top blocked the camera for the Esmit. One has a strap, the other one doesn't!
The camera was held by the shape of the lens cut-out and was forced into the ERC. It's quite difficult to remove it which is reassuring!
Dennis Laney in his book Collector's guide does not mention this accessory unless he found it with another name?  

Glad to see you have the strap version and what I think is the earlier non strap version. You have just doubled the number of ESMITs which I have seen in one day! Thanks for that. I think that the other one I have is the third version with a screw in the bottom. I will dig it out tomorrow and post a photo beside the version with a strap. It came to me with a feet scale I Model A and a rangefinder. The ESNEL, which you have, also has no strap and must be a very early one. Somebody sent me a Facebook post today with a 1926 I Model A in an ESNEL with no strap. So the sequence appears to have been, no strap, strap and then screw in the bottom of the case which became the norm for many years. Many I Model As came with the purse/handbag-like ETRIN case and my early Elmar I Model A No 1661 from 1926 came in one as shown above.

This has been useful in terms of working out the sequence of case design, but my impression is that they were very much craft items. Likewise with outfit cases such as the ETGAM there appears to be a lot of variation as regards interior fittings.

William

Edited by willeica

Here are the two cases which I mentioned above. On the left there is the ESMIT with strap and on the right there is the later case with a screw holder in the bottom. This case is slightly taller  and I suspect that it is the ESMOS which was introduced in 1933 for the Standard with rangefinder. The cameras are on the left a I Model C SN 67245 with a rangefinder in the lid and a I Model A Close Focus, Feet Scale, SN 35962 with a feet scale rangefinder in the lid.

The ESNAR had been introduced in 1932 with similar features to the ESMOS for the II and the III to replace the ESNEL which had been case for Leica I models. According to Laney, the earliest ever ready case was the ETRIN which he says was introduced in 1927, but I have seen advertisements, showing the ETRIN, from 1925 and 1926. Laney does not mention the ESMIT and any details I have about it came from von Einem's book. Laney's coverage of cases is somewhat approximate at best. I am of the belief that they were craft products produced by craftsmen inside and, possibly, outside of the factory in Wetzlar and despite the use of specific names there appears to be quite a bit of variation in such cases. These cases along with the smaller ESNEL and ESNAR cases were the grandparents of Leica ERCs for decades to come.

William

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I just realised that it's been ten years since I bought my Leica II and posted about it in this thread so I thought it could be time for an update. Here's the photo I posted in 2011, followed by one taken in 2019. Btw, why isn't this thread a sticky? 🤷‍♂️

Flickr
FM3A 85/1.8 pre-AI 2x Strobes Portra 400 X1

• Like 11

7 hours ago, philipus said:

I just realised that it's been ten years since I bought my Leica II and posted about it in this thread so I thought it could be time for an update. Here's the photo I posted in 2011, followed by one taken in 2019. Btw, why isn't this thread a sticky? 🤷‍♂️

Flickr

Boing Boom Tschak

• Like 1

11 hours ago, philipus said:

Flickr

It’s lost some black paint over those ten years, or gained some brassing.

• Like 1

I set these two out and just sit back and look at them.     (my Wife thinks that’s weird 😄).    

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
On 1/12/2020 at 6:17 PM, spydrxx said:

A fairly new addition to my LTM bodies...a Tower (rebadged Nicca) from the mid 1950s. Nice features distinguishing it from its Leica cousins...a lever wind and a back opening on a horizontal hinge, much like my M2. Speeds seem on, but the shutter is a little louder than my iif, will probably get it relubed later this year and ensure it's good for another 50 years.

I just bought a 50mm f2.8 Tanar. Very similar body design to my f3.5 Nikkor.

• Like 2

And two pictures taken with the Tanar, copies of darkroom prints.

In use today. Converted Ia and converted early Summar with after market coated lens.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

This one sees nearly daily use. I had a hard time finding a correct case with 1/4" thread in the US so this one made its way from Australia. Not sure where the camera was originally sold, it seems like more here are 3/8". I still manage to focus more accurately with this camera than with the CL.

Edited by qqphot
more info
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

YO !!  I am very  happy !  a Kind Gent who loves my YouTube  Channel contacted me to see if I would like some 'Old cameras' he had collected --  I got a 1946-47 IIIc + 50mm f2 Summitar a Rolleicord III, A Zeiss Ikon Nettar folder, and Ensign Carbine Folder and Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model IV with Rosstar lens. The LEICA IIIc  he said he had NEVER USED ! 

I tested it with outdated KB40 slow film and have shown a couple on the Photo Forum for LTM Leicas . The SHUTTER slow speeds are erratic, the RANGEFINDER does not work , the FLASH SYNCH shorts out . I will get a service done.  Here is a photo - it has an Original Leica UV filter and metal lens cap. 

• Like 3