LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Leica serial nr.13301* fitted with two interesting lenses:-

Fitted with 2" f/ 2.0 National Optical Co. Anastigmat produced by T,T&H but a different design to the T,T&H lens fitted to the Reid camera (Photo 1)

and with the Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.4 Biotar (1931) (Photo 2)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

L39UK,

Difficult to be precise from your photo #1 but the TT&H f2 looks similar to what I recall my TT&H 2"/f2 did, which I had on my Reid II, when I was a teenager (looooong time ago). I am afraid I sold it in about 1962 to buy a Mamiya SLR, which seemed much sexier at the time than the Reid. The CZ Jena Biotar looks fantastic. With German Hyperinflation in 1931, it must have cost about a trillion Reichsmarks.

On another front, I have just added to my collection today a 1955 FOCA PF3, the "French Leica". Sadly this one comes with the 2.8 Oplar 50mm lens rather than the 50/1.9. I will look for a 1.9 but most them have deteriorated very badly, whereas the 2.8 for some reason, seem to have lasted better.

Wilson

L39UK,

Difficult to be precise from your photo #1 but the TT&H f2 looks similar to what I recall my TT&H 2"/f2 did, which I had on my Reid II, when I was a teenager (looooong time ago). I am afraid I sold it in about 1962 to buy a Mamiya SLR, which seemed much sexier at the time than the Reid. The CZ Jena Biotar looks fantastic. With German Hyperinflation in 1931, it must have cost about a trillion Reichsmarks.

Wilson

Hello Wilson,

The 2" f/2.0 National Optical Co.Anastigmat mount is very similar to the T,T&H 2" f/2.0 Anastigmat and both are mounted in focussing mounts and barrels produced by Cook and Perkins.I believe that the 2" F/2.0 National Optical Co. Anastigmat was based on the "Speed Panchro" (series two) design patented by Horace.W.Lee in early 1930's and this patent and others are engraved on the barrel of the 2" f/2.0 National Optical Anastigmat(see photo's below).This lens also has the last 3 digits of the lens serial number engraved on the barrel(see photo's below) and this may be due to the lens cells being matched to individual barrels.It seems that the 2" f2.0 National Optical Anastigmat was made in fewer numbers than the Reid T,T,&H lens and from current research the 2" f2.0 National Optical Anastigmat was thought to be only produced in 1 batch of 250 lenses (Serial No's 354xxx) the highest number so far recorded is no.354249.

The 2" f/2.0 [ T,T&H Anastigmat] and the "Amotal", as used on the ill-fated Bell & Howell "Foton" camera, were also based on the "Speed Panchro" design.The National Optical Co. was a subsiduary of Taylor,Taylor & Hobson and set up by the parent company to deal with the increased workload during the Second World War.

Regards,

William

• 1 month later...
no new Cameras for this thread?

cheers

NO

Sadly, not a new camera - this is my IID that has featured here before - but a "new" lens. This is a quite beautiful nickel Elmar that has found it's way from MW to me via the gentlemen of the GPO. Complete with front and end caps and the original leather case, this is in lovely condition. All I have had to do is to de-gunk the threads of the focussing helix - a surprisingly quick and simple job. At the weekend, all things being equal, I shall take it out for a "run". :D

2553526647_39b34943a4_o.jpg

Regards,

Bill

Well allow me to post a new picture of an old camera too (sorry Dr. NO, you've already seen it in the German Forum:rolleyes: ). I decided to remove the M-Bayonet from my Summaron... And then I had to find a SBLOO...

cheers Andrew

PS Bill, maybe a silly question: what's that in the accesory shoe of your IID?

Andrew

Hi Andrew, not a silly question at all.

Lo, these many years ago I had a Minox ML. It had this nifty hotshoe cover. I ordered a couple more from Minox at the time. Now, one lives on my M7 and the other on my IID. I think that they look good, giving a more "finished" appearance.

They also serve a useful purpose - or two. On the IID it just minimises the chance of catching the accessory shoe when taking the camera out of a pocket or pouch, on the M7 it does the same, but also provides some protection to the contacts.

Finally, in the case of the IID, It also gives me some mild amusement that it is the only bit of plastic on the whole camera :D

Regards,

Bill

My Leica III with a Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, newly adapted to LTM.

Sadly, not a new camera - this is my IID that has featured here before - but a "new" lens. This is a quite beautiful nickel Elmar that has found it's way from MW to me via the gentlemen of the GPO. Complete with front and end caps and the original leather case, this is in lovely condition. All I have had to do is to de-gunk the threads of the focussing helix - a surprisingly quick and simple job. At the weekend, all things being equal, I shall take it out for a "run". :D

2553526647_39b34943a4_o.jpg

Regards,

Bill

Mmhhh... the engravings of the old nickels have an unsorpassed beauty....

Apologies for this delayed response. My first real camera was a IIIc and recently nostaglia lead tme through a couple of IIIa's to the current IIIf R/D. Here is the hybrid working outfit with a 2.8 Elmar, SBOOI and ITOOY, an older 3.5 Summaron with SOOGZ, 12585 hood and VG metal finder and a VG 21mm f4 and plastic finder.

• Like 1

My IIf Red Dial V.3 SN799912 (1956). I use it with a Leitz 50mm f2.0 collapsible Summicron, a Leitz 135mm f4.5 Hektor, and a Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 Color Skopar in LTM. I also use a Visoflex I and Leitz bellows with the Hektor's lens head for macro.

_DSC5193s.jpg

_DSC5341c.jpg

skopar.jpg

_DSC5396.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here my new member, my first LTM, a IIf and 50/3,5 Elmar from 1954.

Soon to be joined by a Summaron 35/3,5 and a SBLOO.

Only been with me a couple of days, is currently being CLA'd, and miss it already:(

regards

andy

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

When i found a lovely II, 74 years old youngster looking and working as if it just came from the factory, i thought this was all i could wish for.

Though then i saw this other irresistable beast :eek:

Guest Ron (Netherlands)
Ron,

What will be your camera choice for the next Barnack Challenge ?

Hello JC,

I will choose the IIIf (the one without the selftimer), since I have never used this camera before.

greetings from Holland

Here are my little LTM family.

Three Germans and three Japanese, all but one with the accessory i just love on the bottom of those cameras.

Summaron 3.5cm, Summar 5cm (with a stop ring to avoid possible damages on the M8) and a Summarit 5cm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've got my IIIc (I think it was updated to an IIIf, please correct me ...) at the end fo July. I like it very much. I've posted some pics recently: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/sonstiges/69691-g-ttinger-sieben.html#post721040

Timo