LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just picked this up at my local used camera store. It's a IIIf red dial from 1955, and came with the Leicavit already mounted. The dealer supplied a regular baseplate along with the camera. The Elmar 5cm/3.5 was obtained last week at the same store. The sn dates it to 1948. Cannot wait to get out and shoot it. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

My tribute to my Dad and David Douglas Duncan, who covered my Dad and his Marine Division in the fighting at the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War in 1950.   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  Best, -Tim

The III is back with new shutter cloths and fresh CLA by Will van Manen:       Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!   

Posted Images

...and here is my IID, just back from Luton.

It's wearing a new 50mm Skopar complete with yellow filter. This, or my 5cm Elmar will be it's usual "attire".

I am stunned by the clarity of the range- and viewfinders now that they have been given a good seeing-to. It is running sweetly too - I can't wait to run the first roll through it.

Those who read my other thread on this camera just after Christmas will also remember that this is actually a 1930 Model I that was upgraded in 1934. It seems Leica has a proven track record in this regard - something the M8 boys should remember...

Regards,

Bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is an impressive rig, John. How do you find it in use?

Regards,

Bill

it's not too bad. There is no rangefinder coupling, but that is the same as with the VC snapshot-skopar 25mm f4. There's plenty of depth of field. The Nikon lenses are pretty bulky, of course. But with the adapter I can use several Nikon lenses that I have -- a 20mm, the 24, a 28 (that I used when we met at the Blackfriar), and a 35. I think it should be OK if I avoid trying to shoot very close up wide open.

In screw mount lenses, I only have a leica 50mm (the 2.8 elmar) and a 90 f4. The others are a Russian 35 f2.8, a 50 f2, and a 135 f4; also a Canon 135 f3.5. Some more good screwmount lenses would be good, but I'm trying not to spend too much on this.

--- oh... and there is a visflex or two that open up several further options -- like the 280mm f4.8 telyt, and various close-up possibilities

Hi there

Well I've done it at long last!! I've bought me a Leica IIIg with a 50mm f/2.8 Elmar lens. I'm told that it is a late 1956 build camera (body s/no 846-614 & lens 1450933). I've had an interest in photography since I was 15 and now I'm 64. Always wanted a leica but could never afford it at the time.

Anyhow just thought I'd use this thread to say Hello

Best wishes

Mike

Try again, Mike... just some tricks for a new poster of pics:

- In the menu of the post, click this icon :

- read with attention the specs of the pic file you want to attach : pixel size is the most important : typically, You have to make a significant resize in the application you use for photo editing: if you keep the pixel size well within the max size (for instance, I usually use 900 instead of 960, be aware of horiz ANDvertical dimension, BOTH of them must be in the pixel limit) you can be rather sure that the Kbyte dimension stays in the declared limit.

- Anyway, after you've saved the file to post, check its Kbyte dimension on your PC, if it's above the limit, work again to reduce it (for instance, choosing a different compression of the jpeg format)

- then, in the attach menu, find the file ("browse") then click "upload" then, at the lower end of the window, click "Close this window"

- At this point the post looks as befor the attach: if you click again the above attach icon, and click the name of the file, You'll see the (ATTACH)NUMBER(ATTACH) phrase on your post: you can write something else after it, keeping attention not to overwrite or deleting part of the above phrase.

- You then can make a preview (see the post menu) of your post: if all has gone right, you'll see your post WITH the picture.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I think all the new Leica User Forum (LUF : Welcome to you !!!) members had experienced some problems in their first post....

Black/Nickel II

Chrome III

IIIc

IIIf RD ST

35/Summaron, 50 Xenon, 50 Summarit, 50 Summar, 50 Summitar, 50/3.5 Elmar, 50 Summicron coll., 90 Elmar, 135 Hektor

My favorite combos are the II with the 50 Elmar and the IIIC with the Summitar.

Len

Hi there

Thanks Luigi and everyone else, following your tips I think I've sorted uploads;) .

Here is a shot of my Leica IIIg, if you look closely you can see where someone has attacked the small knurled bezel nearest the rewind knob with probably a screwdriver. I awaiting replacement parts from the US so it should look in better condition.

Best wishes

Mike

Just got back from picking up my IIIa from the repair shop where it received a new cover and possibly its first CLA. I can see well enough through the rangefinder to actually focus it now.Here it is with one of its younger brothers that had its CLA last year.

I bought a Leica III off ebay. I was afraid it would be a fake, despite the presence of the slow speed dial. According to the s/n it is about 1936.

It probably needs attention. Will all LTM Leicas have the 28.8mm registration?

I also have a Soviet Fed 1 C1952 that is proudly still a Fed..

The Fed has a slightly later collapsible 50mm f3.5 FED lens. It works wonderfully, or did till I mis-laid the take-up spool. I had the Fed fully overhauled in Russia by Oleg Khalyavin & fitted with a flash contact.

The only extras i'd desire for the Leica would be a adapter for a cable release & the jig to cut the film leaders. With the Fed I lock the shutter open on 'B' to avoid damage to it's curtains while loading film.

I suppose that I am probably going to be flayed alive for using Soviet lenses but surely a 50mm Jupiter or that Industar 61 L/D is going to be better optically than a un-coated pre-war Elmar that would be appropriate?