X1 Panorama Experiment

wolffmeister

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was not sure wether to start this thread in the Post Proc section, but since this was shot exclusively on the Leica X1 I decided to start this here.

For an upcoming job I was testing a few lenses and Tripod callibrations on my Nikon D3x. Having shot panoramas before, I am well aware of the pitfalls of some of the newer lenses or the crazy sunex optics. Mostly I resort to shoot panoramas with very simple 35 mm primes, so as the X1 is a rather new adition to my kit, I thought : why not mount this little machine on the Manfrotto nodal head in an attempt to shoot a Panorama with this nifty little gadget.

The following Panorama Test : " Shadows of the Attic" was an experiment to see how stitchable the images would be the Leica X1 delivered as I carry this camera around as 35 mm backup as well. The Image was assembled from 14 angles shot horizontally in one row ( ISO 400, 8Sec, F16, Each one Bracketed +-3 EV ), captured at 15° intervals which would roughly give me a third horizontal overlap for the shots.

Apart from the very good image quality of the single shots, I was amazed how well the Images from the X1 were processed by various stitching softwares. I mainly use Autodesk Stitcher, but on this occasion also took a leap of faith and attempted an automatic photomerger in CS5. Initially the results seemed to be rather impressive, without much tweaking. However, on closer inspection I discovered a few problematic areas that arent visible on first sight.

Question now: Has anyone ever tried panoramas on the X1, and have u come across any significant problems ?

to see a higher resolution image of this experiment, please see this lightbox version on my flickr.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wolffmeister