Anyone wear glasses and use 0.72VF with 35mm?

PATB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the MP v. M7 decision is not bad enough for a prospective Leica film camera buyer, the viewfinder/lens combo selection is even worse. I am planning on getting an MP 0.72 (don't want to go a la carte) and can't decide between 50mm or 35mm as my first lens. I don't have strong preference for either but am leaning towards the 35mm because it may give me some room for depth of field. My only concern now is whether the 0.72 viewfinder won't allow me to see the 35mm framelines as I wear glasses.

I have searched the forum on this issue and the posts are conflicting. I have no way of handling one before purchase, so the 50mm/f2 seems to be the safer bet. Any advice you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

Pat:

I think it depends on how big your glasses are. People with smaller frames that fit under the eye brow have no problem. People with large frames like the old aviator sunglasses have a problem, just because the eyeglass lenses are that much further away from your eyes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the reply guys. Much appreciated.

Given that this seems to be hit or miss, unless I can find one to try out, is the 50mm "a safe bet", i.e., generally easy to see with a 0.72 even for eyeglass wearers?

(If so, this brings up an interesting "problem" for me as the 50mm/f2 comes with the M7 starter kit with a discount! I thought I already decided an all mechanical camera for rangefinder and digital for SLR :( )

I have an MP with 0.72VF, 35/2 and 50/2. I have no problem seeing the frame through my glasses when I use 35/2. When I use 50/2, I put on a Leica magnifier and I also have no problem. I would recommend a diopter if your eye are not too bad. Leica doesn't even make dioptors for my eyes! Wearing contact lens also helps especially if you are planning to shoot for many hours.

It depends on how deep set your eyes are. 35 is doable with a bit of looking with .72 and my glasses.

My solution at one time was to use a 35 Summicron bug eye on the .72. It will bring up the 50 lines which are easily seen, but more will be in the frame. Focus will be fine also.

I just ordered a Leica MP (Black), 0.72 and 50mm F/2 Cron from B&H Photo using a link through this wonderful site. :D This is my first Leica so I will have follow up questions. I hope you guys don't mind.

I will start with C-41 BW until I can learn to process my own film, hopefully before end of the year. I am taking a photography class at a local adult school once a week, but the darkroom portion is not until next quarter. I will post some of my crummy shots once I get them developed.

Thanks again for the replies above.

Happy shooting, you lucky man

Nice camera, I bought one yesterday and will use a 50 1,4 and 35 2,0

BTW, I do believe some can se the 35 framlines one others not. It really depends on your glasses and how short/longsighted you are. I find it difficult to see 35 framlines on my M7 0,72 without moving my eye.

I have Glasses and the black MP

I can see the 35 mm framelines with some problems. 50 mm with no problems. 28 mm would be awful, so I will not use a 28mm lens with my MP.

There is another problem for me with the 35 mm framelines. The framelines aren´t correct vertical/horizontal when looking through the viewfinder at different angles for better seeing all parts of the framelines. I mentioned this when allmost half of the photos of the first four films were inclined (appr 4 degree).

I was wearing glasses at birth. =)

Just kidding, but the avatar is obvious.

Same here, no problem with my 0.72VF M7 which has the same VF as the MP.

Good decision Patrick, the MP is a very good camera.

The 50mm is an artistically practical lens.

While the 35mm is an all around practical lens.

I use the 35mm the most.

-Ron

I have worn glasses for years, shooting with the .72 viewfinder in an M4, M6 and now M7. I found that using a diopter correction lens to be one way to provide full and undistorted use of the wiewfinder. Disclaimer: I have minimum astigmatism,

Go to: Leica FAQ - M eyepeice correction lenses - how to estimate?

I have an M2 (which is a 72, IIRC) and a 35 is a PITA.

Andy,

on older M-Leicas as your M2 the brightlines for 35mm (and, for that matter, all other brightlines as well) are actually located further out than in todays M7 and MP models. That is because in the old days the brightlines were sized to match with a minimum focusing distance of 1m, whereas the current brightlines need to cope with the 0.7m minimum focusing distance. Although the difference in minimum focusing distance may seem small at first, it makes a noticeable difference to the brightlines. With the current models, seeing the 35mm brightlines is no real problem, even if you wear specs.

Andy