Young people and film

Nick De Marco

• 3 weeks later...

I'll never do color printing in the darkroom again, because I can make better, longer lasting prints, with more control, scanning in my slides or negatives and printing digitally. And if I relearned photography sufficiently, I would use one of my digital cameras and skip the negatives.

But for black and white, you just can't get as good a digital print as you can with silver, at least without spending an awful lot on a printer and using special inks that make it a bog chore to switch the printer over to color. And I find the darkroom process faster and cheaper as well as better and more fun for black and white.

Young people and film? How about near-middle-age persons?

Yesterday I talked to university photojournalism and documentary instructors who are in their fourties, and my heart just sank when I found that none of them have ever used a rangefinder. One had never used a hand-held light meter, and did not quite recognize a flash-bulb when he saw it (he asked, "it only flashes once right?"). Another has gone from Hasselblad photography to join the rest with a Nikon D3. And earlier a student saw my Zeiss Super Ikonta and asked if I could still get batteries for it.

This is not a criticism of them, but evidence that I'm just plain old. So I thought of what I knew of photography when I was their age. I had used about everything except wet-plate and flash-powder. For all practical purposes, digital did not exist then, and the most advanced rapid long-distance picture communication was a very slow, terrible quality drum-scanning FAX device.

Digital's constant rapid evolution seems to have compressed the photogdraphic technology knowledge-base so that the days of only film seem eons in the past. Young people in photography (university level) are challenged enough by studies and information overload that experience is of the moment, research is Google, authorship is cut-n-paste, and immersion is the new paradigm.

Immersion as in the later 360-degree digital video recording where the reporter is _there_ but does not have to frame a picture. The reader/watcher peruses the scene, choosing his own view.

And this old man is going into that 360-degree digital video field. I kid you not. I think something important is happening in that. For one thing, without having to frame, and by getting everything in view, images will also include the other media, the other photographers that are usually carefully left off-frame, for the sake of "realism". Now the final shocker - the fourty-something professors mentioned above considered the 360-now digital video as sacrilegious, anathema to journalism!

Rock and a Hard Place. :)

... and my heart just sank when I found that none of them have ever used a rangefinder.

The vast majority of people will have learned how take photographs with SLRs - I did, and I'm nearly 50.

Rangefinders have been an anachronism since the 60s.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... for black and white, you just can't get as good a digital print as you can with silver, at least without spending an awful lot on a printer and using special inks that make it a bog chore to switch the printer over to color. And I find the darkroom process faster and cheaper as well as better and more fun for black and white.

You can get real B&W prints on silver-halide B&W paper from digital files. Don't try it at home unless you have very deep pockets. Several on-line labs offer this service, a few even offer B&W fiber paper (not RC).

You can get real B&W prints on silver-halide B&W paper from digital files. Don't try it at home unless you have very deep pockets. Several on-line labs offer this service, a few even offer B&W fiber paper (not RC).

My favorite authority on making silver-based prints from digital media is Dan Burkholder.

[...] Rangefinders have been an anachronism since the 60s.

I presume the date coincides with the collapse of rangefinder camera competition from Nikon, Leica, and Canon.

Anachronism. I like that. You can be Anachronist #1. Can I be Anachronist #2?