walk around lens for M6

Ecaton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bought an M6 on ebay and would be gratefull for input from M6 users. Would you rather recommend the f2/50mm or f2/35mm Summicron as the "normal" walk around lens (consider buying a newer version, but a used one)? Is the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar an alternative to the Cron?

To complicate matters, mid-term, I plan to add the M8 and build up a set of about 3-4 lenses "ideal" for both cameras.

Your input is highly appreciated

I got the Lux35 with my M6 classical.

So I recommend: take the cron35. Then add the M8.

You'll get two advantages:

With the 35 and the M6, you'll know already, what a 28 will do on an M8 and

with the 35 and the M8, you'll know, what a 50 will do on a M6.

Both facts will help you to decide about future lens-add-ons (going more to wide-angle or not) ...

best regards

Torsten

Martin,

The 50 Elmar-M (current) is a good alternative to the 'cron. I really like this lens and find my self grabbing it rather than the 'cron a lot of the time. On my M6 it collapses into next to nothing and the pair makes for a very portable outfit. Additionally it is a lens with a fingerprint I like a lot and it coninues to amaze me how much Leica's designers have been able to get out of a four lens element design.

On the M8 the Elmar-M can't be (fully) collapsed as it would hit the shutter.

For a walkaround I vary my choice, allthough the 35'lux will more often than not be my choice.

Cheers,

- Carl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased my M6 with a Summicron IV 35.

I think that the 35 is more versatile. 50mm can be a touch bland. Kind of in the middle.

I also love the 35 frameline on my M6. Its huge, but I can still see all four framelines.

Considering your M8 purchase, I would reccomend the 28 summicron.

28 on the M6 and aprox 35 on the M8.

Frankly, you can't go wrong with any of the lenses you listed. If you don't need the extra stop on a 50mm the Elmar is an excellent choice both from performance and value perspective. Still, the choice has to be which fov, 35-vs50, best suits you.

Best Luck,

Bob

As others have mentioned depends on which FOV you prefer.Having owned all of them I always come back to the 50mm Elmar 2.8 and the 35 cron.

I think the Elmar is probably the most underrated lens in the line up..it has a special look that I find unique.

whichever you go with am sure you will be happy, good luck

andy

OR, you could split the difference, more or less, & get the CV Nokton 40/1.4. Nice, sharp, fast and oh so inexpensive at $349. It brings up the 50mm framelines in my MP but is a bit wider. Check out CameraQuest @ http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm.

For that matter, you can buy a box of CV lenses for what you'd pay for one 'cron, then experiment for awhile to see what your most-used focal lengths will be & get the Leica version(s) later.

Just a thought....

Hi Martin!

Although I shoot an MP, the two cameras are so similar that I don't feel uncomfortable making some suggestions to you.

We used to have a thread on the old Forum about the percentage of memorable Leica images made with each lens. If my memory serves, the 35 was far and away the most-represented length.

You have to start somewhere and the 35 would be my recommendation, either in the 'Cron ASPH iteration (for its remarkable excellence under any conditions) or the 'Lux (which also has its admirers here).

Having said that, it's interesting to note that photojournalism has moved over the years from the 50 to the 35 to the 28 and even wider as its most popular focal length. You won't be disappointed with the 28 'Cron ASPH if you choose it, and it could later serve as your 35 equivalent on an M8 (if and when).

Good luck in your choice. Post some pictures soon.

Thanks.

Allan

First choice should be the current 50 2.8 Elmar and the second lens should be the new 28 2.8 Elmarit ASPH lens if you can find one in stock that is. Both of these black chrome models weigh around 170 grams and that is a great bonus for carrying around. Then take a look at the 90 macro elmar too. Hope that helps and I guess your M6 has the .72 mag finder for the 28?

First choice should be the current 50 2.8 Elmar...

Hi Bill.

The only concern I'd have for him about that lens is if he did put it on the M8 he'd have to be very careful to avoid collapsing it fully as it will put a whale of a ding in the camera's innards. There was a photo on here a month ago showing what happens and it wasn't pretty....certainly an expensive repair would be necessary.

Here is the link to the previous thread where this was discussed:

50 Elmar on M8

Thanks.

Allan

I agree that this is very much a personal decision. However, I'm going to assume that because you asked you don't know enough about your own preferences to decide---so, because you plan to get an M8, go with the 35.

If you have other lenses by the time you get an M8, maybe it doesn't matter. In that case, get the one you can get the best deal on.

Clyde Rogers

I will chime in and agree with many who are recommending the 35 for a walk around lens. I have both and really like the 35, and it gives you the added advantage of working well with the crop factor of the M8 when you get it.

Focal length preference, though, is ultimately a matter of personal taste, shooting style, and what you like to shoot. If you shoot people a lot, the longer focal lengths can be helpful for getting some distance for street shooting, while the 35 requires getting in closer. Depending on your style, one of those will probably suit you better.

I happen to have both of those lenses and they're my only two for my M6 and I quite like having both, but tend to use the 35 most. You really can't go wrong with either of those classic focal lengths.

Good luck!

I meant to add... definitely heed the advice of those who warn about the collapsible lenses. If you have a chance, download the M8 instruction manual from leica and you'll see their list of incompatible lenses. The Elmar 50 is definitely usable but carries that possibility of damaging the shutter and sensor if collapsed in. If you can't collapse it, you're better off with a good used 50mm Summicron which doesn't cost much more than the Elmar.

Allan, thanks for the link. I did not know about about the 50 Elmar not being able to collapse into the M8.

On the other hand, if he's going to take any train pictures he definately needs some kind of 50.

A wise photographer told me that once!

;)

Thanks.

Allan

As others have said it depends how you see. One idea before you buy any lens is to walk around with the camera and use the frame lines selection lever to see which framing you're most drawn to when you see a photo you want to take.

Nik