M8 OR film m plus x1

bcwright03

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The JPeg converter is bad,... Sorry, but the JPegs out of my X1, and even the Dlux4 are worlds better. ISO - well - in my opinion the X! handles high ISOs better. However - DNG´s are nice, converting them with Lightroom is a pleasure, but Aperture3 will not display all EXIF data (like aperture), which is a pain in the backside ;) .

Santdtman, I think it's getting obvious that you and a Leica M are not made to like each other. A few remarks nonetheless.

JPGs from the Ms are not outstanding, they really are DNG only cameras. But as an ex X1 owner, its JPGs are not great either. They're just as disappointing in my view (dull, flat, oversharpenend etc). The X1 is indeed very good at high ISOs. Class leading even. At anything above ISO 640 the X1 wins hands down. But at the expense of fine details & contrast. At lower ISOs and with the correct exposure, an M is in a different league. I have more than 1000 X1 DNG images on my computer to compare and be very sure about that. A Dlux 4 that I've had too is beyond any comparison.

... thanks Richard, i will keep the cam anyhow.

i still have some questions:

- is the cam weather sealed? If yes to which extend?

- does the IR filter have a negative side effect to the IQ?

- which is the best RAW converter? I am using Lightroom3 at present, but some of you use C1?

edit: please guys don't be so overly sensitive with criticism.

Edited by santdtman

Ok - perhaps i should try the M8 some more days/ weeks... Which RAW converter/software are you using? Lightroom or C1... ?

I think you should remove 'perhaps'. Not that the M8 is for everyone but from my own experience I know it takes a while to get a feel and insight for what these cameras are about.

I came from a list of P&Ss (Ixus, Canon Gs, Leica Dlux, Panny LX3), Canon 40D SLR kit with some 'L' and manual Zeiss lenses to the X1 and now the M8 / Elmarit-M 28.

There obviously are different views on PP software/RAW converters. Having used ACR & PS CSx and Lightroom for years I completely switched to Lichtroom 3 alone. It can't do everything PS can but it covers 95% of my needs and does them very well and very easy. I think the RAW engine in LR3 is currenly state of the art, as is the noise reduction. It's fully non-destructive image editing is very important too. And it also allows me to manage all my images like no program I know. After years of PS, Bridge, plug-ins and switching back'n forth between programs I really love the 'one program for everything' capabilities from LR3. But all this is my personal view.

The are a lot of seasoned and enthusiastic C1 users here too. A with good reason. I tried it a few times during the years but I never seemed to get along with it.

I don't agree on 'greatly improved' for the M9. As the - very few - thorough in depth M9 reviews show and proof, the noise characteristics of both sensors are identical.

Strange.

The reviews, on this forum, with the M9 at high ISOs using LR3 have been extremely impressive. I haven't seen any similar M8 comparisons.

The M9 and the M8 are not the same.

Because you are looking for Kanon like technical features only, ignoring the rangefinder emotional bond which invariably leads to the finest pictures one can imagine..

What is a Kanon? If you mean a Canon, why not say so? It's not a forbidden word here. Nor is Nikon. Or Sony. Or Hasselblad.

• Like 1

Get the M8. Brilliant camera. I use my M6 about once a year.

interesting, super interesting to me. if been thinking of switching to a M6 from an M8.

i have the m8 and i cant tell you enough how much i enjoy everything about this camera, especially shooting with it. however, i did notice that it was not a replacement for a P&S, and i continued to carry my old panisonic. then i started to be really disappointed with the image quality and the lack of DOF with the point and shoot, so i got a LX-5. so here is the ending to a long tale.

i love the lx-5 dlux-5 for P&S think it would serve you well and save a ton of $ over x-1.

as much as i love my m8, i have been thinking of selling it and getting a M6. here is the crazy part. i got the M8 to learn how to use a RF camera, now that i have a pretty solid foundation, and about 80% of my photos are free of user errors (exposure settings,OOF etc) i think the film camera will give me the personal gratification the M8 has been doing for the past year. i used the m8 digital abilities to help ramp up my RF proficiency skills.

there is just something magical and soulful about shooting the RF system. the click of the manual shutter, dialing in settings, focusing. for me it makes me feel part of what i am capturing and i get pleasure out of using and trying to capture the best image i can. however, in the long run im not sure the m8's digital images will stand the test of time as well as a film M.

i think the X1 is an incredible camera, and if i had a better budget, i would have purchased one. but for me the lx-5 is the everyday P&S and action stuff, moving kids and dogs and field conditions where i dont want to carry the M. im saving the rest of the money for another piece of M glass!

so to answer your specific question m6 (as long as you know how to use a RF) + X1.

Strange.

The reviews, on this forum, with the M9 at high ISOs using LR3 have been extremely impressive. I haven't seen any similar M8 comparisons.

The M9 and the M8 are not the same.

Andy, I can only (highly) recommend the tests & articles on this subject from both Sean Reid and Erwin Puts. There are quite a few eye-openers in there. The M9 and M8 are indeed different. But this comes from the in-camera processing of the files, not from the allegedly better sensor in the M9. It's not, it's only bigger.

Besides the in-camera processing there's one important difference. Exporting/compressing an 18MP DNG file to - say- a 1024 x 768 JPG will result in a perceived cleaner and sharper image than an identical 10MP DNG file would produce. The 'masking effect' from compression is stronger/better on a larger file. Hope I use the right words here.

• Like 2

Because you are looking for Kanon like technical features only, ignoring the rangefinder emotional bond which invariably leads to the finest pictures one can imagine..

Every camera out there can make fine pictures. The problem sits behind the sensor :)

I dont think its a sacrilege to talk about some points that are irritating with the holy grail of

all digicams ;)

So please take it easy,

edit: btw - i got some very pleasant results with the M8 yesterday and today with the nokton 1.1..

Edited by santdtman

• 3 weeks later...

Well if you do not mind to go all over again about the same, i share my doubt with you, maybe i can have some feed back

I have some money to spend,and i want to invest it in what gives me most creative peace and pleasure

So to join my compact olympus xa,which brought back my love for film, i was thinking if i should change my M8 for a M8,2 or keep the M8 and go for a M6..

I wonder if is worth it to upgrade to the M8.2 ?

or just keep the M8 and get a M6,because i never shot M with film,

Thanks you all

So here we all are again after RichardX1/M8(.2)'s massive do it or don't I M9 thread, read it all everything you want to know is there - I got sucked in, I have an M8 now and everything they say is true.

My way of finding out if rangefinder was for my was different - I got a MF Fuji GX67111, the Texas Leica, cheaper but mind blowing pictures, sold the Mamiya RB and never regreted it.

M8 + Pany LX3 (or better) - I kept my Olympus E-3 & 11-22 + 70-300 and I reckon, for me at least I've got everything covered. The Fuji is typically MF slow but at $650 ready to go, it thrashes all the other cameras for IQ, who's grumbling.

Take it from me you won't be happy 'til you get a proper M.

Just a couple of thoughts from me:

1). Before you buy a film Leica make sure that you are happy with the work flow

2). I have an EP-1, plus a bunch of other cams and lens - OK I have too many cameras etc, but I am sentimental and get attached to them

and I now have an M8

- I usually take the S95 or EP-1 with the PL 20mm f1.7, with me most (all) of the time.

The EP-1 is a really useful cam and with the PL 20mm is a great low light machine - plus, with an adapter, I can use my RF, (and SLR), glass as I desire with the EP-1

The EP 1 is really quick to use when maybe the M8 is not - AF and in cam OS really helps in some situations and it meters well

I find that it it complements the M8 perfectly

Just a thought - the EP-1 is great value for the money

Good Luck

Edited by paragon

Frank, I believe the differences between the M8 and M8.2 are very well documented and discussed?...

yes

but whats wrong in asking again?

there is always some new input to be learned from,in my not humble opinion,

If you wish not to give yours, thats ok,,,:D

Sandtman, you are an autofocus man with a high iso and weather seals.. The M8/M9 is definitely not the right camera for you because it requires an artistic, emotional bond. Try Nikon | Home or Canon Global.

au revoir.

+1

I enjoy using my M8 (and M7) to make candid, architecture and street photography. I use Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander glass ranging in focal length from 15 - 90mm

For work (editorial & sports photography), I use Canon 1D Mark IV bodies and 24-70, 70-200, 300 and 400 (all L series f/2.8). All weather sealed, fast autofocus and up to 10 frames per second.

The camera doesn't make the photograph, the image maker's imagination (and understanding of light, composition etc) does. But having the right equipment for the right task helps.

I would not use my Leica gear at a sports stadium and I wouldn't use my Canon equipment for street photography. I could but I don't.