Venice Meeting - Thanks to the Organisers

lanetomlane

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On behalf of Eileen and myself I would like to say how much we enjoyed the Venice Meeting and would like to sincerely thank anyone who had anything to do with organising it.

It was a great pleasure to meet everyone and we certainly enjoyed the informal gatherings on both the Thursday and Friday evenings, as well as the 'official' dinner on Saturday.

As for the photography ............. well!

Thanks again and kind regards to all.

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks Tom. As always, it was a pleasure.

:)

We are looking for a volunteer to organise the dinner in Palermo next year - one year is as much as any person can do in a single lifetime and remain sane, or keep his friends.

Andy has explained how and why the decision was made, and I realise that however the next venue is chosen it will never be perfect.

I've checked the budget airlines and Easy Jet only fly to Palermo from Gatwick. Ryan Air don't fly there from the UK. Expedia seems to only have flights that involve two changes (Brussels and Rome for example).

Obviously this is only from the UK.

Palermo? Italy for two years running? Why the executive decision?

I think we should stick to the old format of attendees shortlisting a number of cities and having a vote, it's worked well enough up until now. If the chosen venue is difficult and/or expensive to get to for the majority of likely participants it's also likely to be less well attended.

Venice was out for me this year, mostly due lack of time and funds - if it had been somewhere I could have done in a day or an overnight it might have been possible.

I realise we can't please everyone of course, but part of the fun each year is in the voting process.

Part of the problem with the voting process is that people who have no intention whatsoever of ever taking part in the Challenge get to send those of us who do make the effort wherever they choose, rather than where the participants choose.

Lok at the number of votes that get cast, and compare with the number of people who attend.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Tom. As always, it was a pleasure.

:)

We are looking for a volunteer to organise the dinner in Palermo next year - one year is as much as any person can do in a single lifetime and remain sane, or keep his friends.

Well, it will be a pleasure to help you for the dinner. Count me in.

BTW, I'd like to post a picture here with part of the crew.

Thank you all guys once again.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I certainly agree with Andy about the dynamics. I am generally in favour of democracy, but it is also worth bearing in mind that as each challenge gets bigger there are more involved and committed people to vote on the night, anyway.

That said, I have also been doing some digging and delightful as Palermo sounds it would only really be viable for me and mine if we made a week of it and turned it into a full-blown holiday. Cost is a consideration, like it or not, as is convenience and ease of travel. One of my criteria was easy access via EasyJet (indeed, easy access by any means other than Ryanair!) Maybe Palermo needs a rethink...

Regards,

Bill

• Like 1

Part of the problem with the voting process is that people who have no intention whatsoever of ever taking part in the Challenge get to send those of us who do make the effort wherever they choose, rather than where the participants choose

I agree with all of that. That was the logic behind getting the participants to produce a short list of 3/4 places that were then voted on.

As I've mentioned earlier there isn't a perfect way of making the final selection.

Andy,

I agree with you that people who have no intention of ever attending, shouldn't really be deciding where those that do should go.

As Steve points out the shortlist is/was decided at the challenge - maybe the old system of including every city should be whittled down the just 2/3 and then open to a wider vote to give new participants and those of us who couldn't attend the chance to vote too.

Next years challenge is a long way off but I doubt I'd be able to make it unless it was somewhere I could fit within a weekend - I know some like to make it part of an extended break or holiday but it should be optional IMHO.

Anyway, I've never been to Palermo so I'll see how I'm fixed nearer the time, I don't want to miss another year if I can help it!

That said, I have also been doing some digging and delightful as Palermo sounds it would only really be viable for me and mine if we made a week of it and turned it into a full-blown holiday. Cost is a consideration, like it or not, as is convenience and ease of travel. One of my criteria was easy access via EasyJet (indeed, easy access by any means other than Ryanair!) Maybe Palermo needs a rethink...

Regards,

Bill

Just to add, I had a quick look on the net, Easyjet don't fly daily it seems so it would entail 4/5 day break at least, and Alitalia who do fly daily change flights 2 or 3 times meaning a 7-10hr flight from London plus the transfers and time at the airport each end......

"nice camera, sir. i'm sure a camera like that isn't cheap, am i right? too bad if something would happen to it. sir, what you need is protection. by the way, this is exactly what i can offer you... "

concerning flights: just the same from dresden. looks like dresden palermo means changing in munich and milano, at a cost of >700 euros.

You can't please all of ......etc etc

Here's another 'allegedly' democratic way as a suggestion.

Does anyone (or more than one) have a list of all attendees at all the Challenges so far?

If so - or maybe even on a trust basis - open the voting to all who have ever been on a Challenge?

Palermo may be an interesting/photogenic locale but if it is not possible to get to/from easily over say a 3 day weekend then you are potentially eliminating quite a few possible attendees, self included.

IMHO it is not possible to make a defnitive selection "on the hoof" during the Challenge as you don't have the information on flights/costs.

Time to think again???

Just my 2 cents.

Hello guys,

just to inform, you can find direct low cost flight from Turin to Palermo for as low as 11€ with "Wind Jet"

Wind Jet - Home page

Turin should be an easy access to all of the Ryan Air lovers. :)

ciao,

Maurizio

Except for the problem that quite a few of us will never fly Ryanair ! Certainly I would rather walk than fly with them.

• Like 1

Except for the problem that quite a few of us will never fly Ryanair ! Certainly I would rather walk than fly with them.

Brian, well then I guess that 200-300€ for a flight is not that much with a standard company, isn't it?

Anyway, here's another pair of solutions:

Blue Express

Flight to Palermo from Rome for example (and some other cities) for as low as 17€

Then, there's Easyjet

Prenota voli low cost e trova offerte per voli last-minute - easyJet.com

Direct flight to Palermo from Milan, Paris, and London Gatwick for as low as 50bucks

Then the problem would be of a different matter, I guess.

If Palermo is a problem, then I wonder why Malta wasn't like that. Just my 2cents.

Please, note that even if I'm Italian, and probably handy with transportations I didn't vote for Palermo at first, but then it's ok for me since the majority of us voted for that.

Ciao!