info update request 65/3.5 black

ho_co

Thanks Jan. I get the impression that some of the information in the literature is not accurate and correct. And I always like to know which kind of lens I am using!

Lex

If your lens is black it is the new calculated version....it has new optical glass, so the new version has a little different spaces between the elements...I have pictures of the to versions but can not find them now....:(

regards,

Jan

Thanks Jan. I get the impression that some of the information in the literature is not accurate and correct. And I always like to know which kind of lens I am using!

Lex

:D a lot of the information is not accurate and correct ;) but mostly it is! That is the problem to get it right. Leitz (Leica) did a good job to inform the buyer about the news but sometimes they do not like to tell it!...a lot of "black holes" :D

Is your Lens "Canada" or "Wetzlar" ? .. Wetzlar should be the new form too....

regards,

Jan

Edited by telewatt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up on this thread rather belatedly so forgive me if all the questions have already been answered! I have both lenses and the silver one (11062) is Canada manufacture, the black one (11162) Wetzlar manufacture. All the catalogues that I have checked also show this on the illustrations. However it doesn't follow that the design of the lens was carried out where it was manufactured. Of course there are several Leica lenses that were made at both locations.

As has been said by others Leica's own literature as well as third party's is sometimes incorrect. One example is that some early Leica brochures (as well as the label on the box) wrongly showed the cross-section for the collapsible 50 mm Summicron in illustrations for the first version rigid 50 mm Summicron. Oddly the illustration on the box for the Dual Range Summicron was correct which may have given rise to the belief that this was a different optical design.

Anyway, after a major delve into my archives. I did eventually find one thing that was eluding me and that was a cross section of the second version of the 65 mm. This was in a special 50th anniversary Leica USA Product Directory which described it as a new computation with higher contrast than the earlier version.

Attached are the cross-sections for both versions. There are noticeable differences and presumably newer glass types were also used. Sorry that the pix have come out a bit oversized!

Hope this is of interest.

Brian Bower

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3