Where are the new 35 luxs

r7photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My view is that the impression that we receive from the out of focus rendering is influenced by the subject content, focus decision, detail frequency. sharpening decisions and aperture in use too of course (not to mention personal preference and expectation). I have some with specular highlights, I'll see what is most suitable to share.

But here is a shot (just taken for an example) that I had posted earlier when I was demonstrating that my lens focused accurately under the most critical conditions. That particular discussion became rather acrimonious but I'll leave that behind.

This is 10% of the frame. It was shot at f/1.4 and minimum focus distance (640 ISO lower light)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hoppyman

My Dealer told me he had only one deliverd last week but was expecting more soon

Anyone have new lens and post samples. I believe some have new lens but are quiet about it. I am top of the wait list for my dealer

Thanks

Ronell

I pre-ordered mine, on the day it was first announced by Leica, online from Adorama.com in New York City, USA. Today (12 Oct. 2010) I received an email/tracking that my Leica 35mm summilux-m lens shipped today and as I purchased it with overnight delivery, I'll have the lens tomorrow (13 Oct 2010). With this lens, I now finally have all the Leica-m lenses I am interested in and wanted. ;)

Here's a 'crystal sun shower' which I think demonstrates extremely good flare resistance and includes some specular highlights. About f/2.8)

It seems as if the UV/IR filter does not cause cyan corner problems with this lens on the M9, which is the same observation I made with the 24 lux/M9 combo. As a M9/M8 user and also considering the fact that the new 35 lux requires slim ring filters (like the Leica UV/IR ones) I prefer to keep the UV IR filters on my lenses if possible.

Any thoughts on this from the experts on this forum?

It seems as if the UV/IR filter does not cause cyan corner problems with this lens on the M9, which is the same observation I made with the 24 lux/M9 combo. As a M9/M8 user and also considering the fact that the new 35 lux requires slim ring filters (like the Leica UV/IR ones) I prefer to keep the UV IR filters on my lenses if possible.

This will definitely cause internal reflections with Leica UV-IR filters against light sources inside the frame. i would recommend using regular Leica UVa filters instead.

Doug I make no claims to being an expert ! but I do have that lens and the Elmar 24 (not the Summilux 24)

I can confirm that the B+W 46 010 UV does fit inside the Elmar 24's hood and does not fit inside the 35 's hood, despite the two hoods being extremely similar. However the Leica UV does fit the 35 and the Leica UV/IR fits both. I got a single Leica UV for mine, purely for mechanical protection of the front element. The rest of my lenses have the B+Ws for the same reason.

I suspect that you may not notice an effect of leaving the UV/IR on the 35 for some shots but I would not recommend that. I would be very surprised if the UV/IR did not cause problems on any 24 on the M9. Still you can easily establish what suits you and works for you there, naturally.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This will definitely cause internal reflections with Leica UV-IR filters against light sources inside the frame. i would recommend using regular Leica UVa filters instead.

How so and if so what is the solution when using the new 35 lux with an M8? I'm not posting this to argue- I'd just like to know the reasoning. Thanks.

How so and if so what is the solution when using the new 35 lux with an M8? I'm not posting this to argue- I'd just like to know the reasoning. Thanks.

There is no solution, except for taking the filter off in those scenarios. Quite often i'd get by with my M8 without using the filter, especially when shooting outdoors, but this is one of the main reasons I switched to the M9, otherwise I'd still be loving and using my old m8

There is no solution, except for taking the filter off in those scenarios. Quite often i'd get by with my M8 without using the filter, especially when shooting outdoors, but this is one of the main reasons I switched to the M9, otherwise I'd still be loving and using my old m8

Thanks. I did not realize that the Leica UV/IR filter causes internal reflections not seen with a plain UV filter. Especially since the UV/IR filter is multi coated. Can you elaborate?

• 1 year later...
As a M9/M8 user and also considering the fact that the new 35 lux requires slim ring filters (like the Leica UV/IR ones) I prefer to keep the UV IR filters on my lenses if possible.

Will slim filters work with the latest versions of the 35 lux, 50 lux, 21 3.4 Super Elmar and the 90 APO? Is there sufficient clearance between the front element and the filter? If my understanding is correct, the difference between slim and non-slim is that the non-slim have filter threads that would allow the use of an additional filter.

Thank you.

Will slim filters work with the latest versions of the 35 lux, 50 lux, 21 3.4 Super Elmar and the 90 APO? Is there sufficient clearance between the front element and the filter? If my understanding is correct, the difference between slim and non-slim is that the non-slim have filter threads that would allow the use of an additional filter.

Thank you.

Always fun when old threads come up for air :)

I just put non-slim B+W UV filters on my 35 FLE and 50 Asph. The hoods attach/extend without problem. Unless the slim version of these filters has a thicker ring it ought to fit.

About "sufficient clearance", there certainly is enough room between the filter and the front elements of these lenses (and unless I am mistaken - I don't have that lens with me at the mo' - the front element on the 35 FLE is in any event concave).

I have had my lens for a long time now, because I ordered it from my dealer before it was officially announced! I probably got the first specimen in Sweden.

I too found that B+W filters would bind with this early hood. The hood is officially identical with that on the 21mm Super-Elmar (same number) but this won't bind. So I conclude that Leica have fixed the problem in current hoods. By the way, I do not use UVa or even plain protection filters on either of these lenses, as I feel that the new style hood and its front cover gives adequate protection.

The picture below was shot after I had fallen down a flight of stairs, landing on a stone floor, with this selfsame lens and M9. A heartstopping incident, but it did not stop my gear – or me. Exposure ISO800, f/1.4–2 and 1/24 in desperate lighting from an energy-saving bulb hanging under the ceiling of the terrace. I have no complaints about either sharpness or bokeh (my own bokeh was not terribly good, b.t.w.) WB with the aid of an ExpoDisc™.

This is now my standard lens. 'This lens rocks.'

The old man from the Brass Age