Is the M9 a good travel camera?

rkopecky

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find it disconcerting to travel with a camera that is so expensive.
True it is a strange experience. But my car is worth more (some will disagree :confused:) my motorbike is worth more (some will disagree :mad:) my house is worth more (......:D) so what is the problem? At least with my house & car most people can guestimate how much it is worth. For the camera they would be off the mark by a factor 10. Am I concerned about the value of stuff when driving in my car or riding my bike? No not al all.

Ignore the camera and "the people" will ignore you. NO-ONE knows what a Leica looks like.

I find it disconcerting to travel with a camera that is so expensive.

All of my equipment is insured, no matter where I travel, for several hundred dollars a year- rider policy, just check to make sure it covers travel abroad. This allayed my fears, and never worried since. Seriously, you get to enjoy your equipment. Would you drive your car without insurance? My photo equipment - Nikon and Leica- is worth as much as a nice luxury car.

I do keep a photographic record of all equipment, with serial numbers and values, which my insurance agent has a copy, and I update at the annual renewal - rather easy.

• 11 years later...

I’ve tested the Leica M9 myself. Shooting with a Leica M9 was quite the experience as it was my first time really using a rangefinder. The build quality is amazing. I hope and aspire to buy one one day. I’ve almost bought the Leica CL many times but I simply can’t justify using film for professional work as everyone these days demands digital.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 6:08 AM, malaika. said:

I’ve tested the Leica M9 myself. Shooting with a Leica M9 was quite the experience as it was my first time really using a rangefinder. The build quality is amazing. I hope and aspire to buy one one day. I’ve almost bought the Leica CL many times but I simply can’t justify using film for professional work as everyone these days demands digital.

You were 15 years old when this discussion took place 12 years ago.  A few things have transpired in the interim, including the M9 sensor corrosion issues. 

Jeff

• Haha 2

On 8/18/2022 at 11:17 AM, Jeff S said:

You were 15 years old when this discussion took place 12 years ago.  A few things have transpired in the interim, including the M9 sensor corrosion issues. 

Jeff

It is still one from the most expensive cameras. ...

I took it on travels and despite its limits, it was pleasing. Stylish and simple. People are asking if it is a Leica.

And if camera was not in the bag in safe place or with me, I was always wearing it.

One or two tiny lenses, no more. No pic review, power off after one minute. It helps with battery life.

But I won't take it in freezing time of the year, if travel. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

It is still one from the most expensive cameras. ...

I took it on travels and despite its limits, it was pleasing. Stylish and simple. People are asking if it is a Leica.

And if camera was not in the bag in safe place or with me, I was always wearing it.

One or two tiny lenses, no more. No pic review, power off after one minute. It helps with battery life.

But I won't take it in freezing time of the year, if travel. 

I still use my M(9) Monochrom… even in freezing temps… but with SL2 just in case.

Jeff

My M9s are still running well and provide great image quality for me. I have Sony cameras which are more capable but they are mostly used in situations that the M9s can't handle (close focus, macro, underwater, longer lenses, etc..). I'm even contemplating another M9 or M9M at some point. Great camera which is becomming more affordable (or some are).

• Like 2