Is the M9 a good travel camera?

rkopecky

Guest Overview

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh boy, I wish I could walk... but being disabled limits my range. My Cannon gear

needed wheels to pull around .... really a pain... literally. So, the little bag and the

M9 and a few lenses made life so much easier. Admitted, I have to take more time

to take a shot, but I feel it's worth it. Yes, professional quality as long as I remember to remove the lens cap.

M film cameras were my travel gear for years, and the digitals are just as well-suited

Just returned from 10 days in Europe with M9, M8 (which remained locked up in the hotel as a backup), and 4 lenses. 35 Summicron IV, 50 Summicron 11819 (tab), and 90 "thin" Tele-Elmarit are all small and light. At the last moment I decided to bring my 21 Elmarit instead of the CV 21 Skopar, but in retrospect the Skopar would have been a better choice considering I took all of half a dozen shots with the 21. I had everything plus an SF24D flash in a Domke J5XB.

In a perfect world (one where I would revert to my physical fitness of 20 years ago) I would prefer a 5D and 20-35, 28-135-IS and 70-300-IS zooms, but since that's not likely to happen, I'll gladly take the trade-offs of the M system. For me the point of travel isn't just to take pictures, it's to enjoy taking them.

M film cameras were my travel gear for years, and the digitals are just as well-suited

Just returned from 10 days in Europe with M9, M8 (which remained locked up in the hotel as a backup), and 4 lenses. 35 Summicron IV, 50 Summicron 11819 (tab), and 90 "thin" Tele-Elmarit are all small and light. At the last moment I decided to bring my 21 Elmarit instead of the CV 21 Skopar, but in retrospect the Skopar would have been a better choice considering I took all of half a dozen shots with the 21. I had everything plus an SF24D flash in a Domke J5XB.

In a perfect world (one where I would revert to my physical fitness of 20 years ago) I would prefer a 5D and 20-35, 28-135-IS and 70-300-IS zooms, but since that's not likely to happen, I'll gladly take the trade-offs of the M system. For me the point of travel isn't just to take pictures, it's to enjoy taking them.

I did more or less the same thing a few times with my kit; I could have left the 4/18 at home and possibly even the 2,8/90 some times. But they're small lenses so it was hardly an issue.

I used to travel with a 1D Mark IIn, 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 zooms, plus a fast prime and a flash. Insanity. Good coverage, but insanity.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just returned from my trip down south and found that the M9 is not a good travel camera... It is a GREAT travel camera! I took my DSLR kit too but it stayed in the SUV most of the time. The M9 was always with me and I got some shots that would have been missed by not carrying my DSLR. I used the 35 pre-A lux most of the time but found use for the 18 Zeiss and 90 cron. Two batteries were enough and I only got the "Low battery switch off camera" one time when I left my other battery behind. Anyway I switched off the camera for 5 minutes then switched it back on and was able to get at least 20 shots. Yes there are things that I miss from the DSLR kit but if I had to choose only one camera to travel with, it would be the M9...

Pete

I am sick and tiered of leaving my heavy Nikon D700 at hotel rooms when I travel, I just can't think of the many photo opportunities I have missed. That is exactly why I am thinking of investing in an M9, a couple of lenses all in an Artisan & Artist small leather bag! Go ahead Rob I am sure you will not regret it.

Edited by Humood

my wife complained about a nikon d90 being too bulky. i've never used an m9, but i travel with m6, and my wife wants a digital m. m8 is not an option, so i guess that leaves me with 1 option. a costly one.

if it's size you're questioning, then you can't beat an m leica can you? it's great.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use to carry a d3s, 12-24, 35 f2 for travel. Decided it was too heavy for me. so the m9 came in, now i carry a sling bag for a m9, 35 cron, 50 noc and a 21 lux, no regrets!!! Being a landscape shooter, the filters takes up more space than the camera...how's that for size and the ultimate travel camera? :) Go for it....but it does take some time to get use to manual focusing and that cheap LCD screen!!!

I have used my M8 and now M9 as travel camera for over 3 years for photographing people, landscapes and mouments and am pleased with the results. Some techniques such as use of polarizing filters are different from their use with a SLR, but a review on discussions on this forum with provide an introductions to best practices. One of the most marvelous features of the camera and selected lenses is the ability to make images in settings other systems and their complex zoom lenses are plagued by lens flare. Not all the Leica lenses are flare resisitant but a but of research with identify the ones that meet your needs. The framelines in the M9 viewfinder are a best only guides and using auxilliary viewfinders with wider lenses takes getting used to. Again these subjects are discussed at length in this forum, but the best techniques take practice as they are so different from using a SLR viewfinder.

Post-processing of Leica generated dng's is dramatically different from the images from my Canon 1D's Mark IIn or 5D Mark II. Sharpening seems less needed with the Leica images but the Leica Auto White Balance sometimes gets totally fooled; I find myself taking images of a grey card a lot.

Definitely! I just got back from three weeks in Croatia with an M9, 35/f2 and 90/f2.5, plus a DLux 4 as backup. The 35 is a great travel lens, small and lightweight. I seldom used the 90mm lens and only took out the DL4 when it was raining. After years of traveling with a Nikon DSLR and a few bulky heavy zoom lenses it was a pleasure to travel small and light. I also have a 50/f2 and 28/f2.8 but left them at home and don't regret it. At home I find that the 35 is on the M9 90% of the time.

What focal lengths do you usually end up using the most for your wedding photographs? Always with a flash? If you try the M9 with say a 35mm or 50mm lens for travel, I'm sure that you'll end up trying it for some of the natural light candids at you next wedding. If you do, speaking from experience, the bride and groom will want the ones you take with the Leica camera and lens. So, what do you have to lose? You may even be able to write if off as a business expense.

Any M camera is a brilliant travel camera. Compact, precise, unobtrusive. I use the 24 and 35 a lot, last big trip also took a 50 and a 90 -- it's easy to keep camera with one lens fitted around your neck, and the spare lenses in a leather waist pouch. Walk on the plane with carry-on luggage only.

Hope you enjoyed your time in NZ and Aus!

rkopecky, I have only spent a few hours in the company of an M9, but I found it extremely unobtrusive and useful -- once I got over the fear of shooting with someone else's expensive camera!

I kept finding that my framing was off, but this is something that takes a little bit of practice. I found it easy to get the focus I wanted, though I didn't always make the best choices.

One of these days, I'll post my "Day with the Leica Akademie" here once I figure out which forum it goes in -- this one, probably, since it was M9-specific.

My search for the M9 sounds like the search for the Holy Grail. I started with a D700 or D3, a back up, zooms lenses, etc. While traveling in Paris, with a poor back, I swore I would never lug all that gear around ever again (unless on safari!)- great pictures but took the fun out of it. The next year I visited Ireland I was going to be much smarter- I still took the D700, but with three or four primes- did not reduce the quality of the pictures, made my back happier, but still a significant weight and volume after all day on the road.

Then came the M9. I now tend to take a small backpack, with 4 or 5 lenses, then take 2 or 3 for the day in a jacket or small shoulder bag, depending on what I am shooting- in the city, or photographing landscapes, etc. My pictures have never been better, I dare say the quality is better, and I sure take my camera with me without a second thought- and I enjoy these trips much more. (And also are not as anxious when confronted with plane weight and size restrictions).

For the ultimate lightweight, I have a 28 Elmarit ASPH, a 50 cron, and a 90 TE (all 39mm). All three are tiny. I usually also have in reserve the WATE (landscape and buildings) and a 35 or 50 lux for low light. With these 5 lenses I can tackle about anything.

I do use the smaller flash (which often accompanies me for pleasure trips, but is rarely used), and I do have a SF58, which I use for business travel. The flashes work okay, satisfactory for my documenting buildings for as-builts (I'm an architect), but are not in the class of the Canon or Nikon systems.

Still use the use the Nikon gear for events and wildlife- maybe one day I will acquire the skills other on the forum have and use it for events, but not yet. But do note, as other have, Rangefinders are different and not for everyone.

I used to carry 6 or 7 lenses, M9, M7, and sf58. Use only two or three lenses. Now I am down to three lenses: 28mm Elmarit (current), 50mm Elmarit (Collapsible), Macro 90mm Elmar (also Collapsible), Macro-adapter, and my trusty m9, all in a very small Domke. I think this is small as it gets...

It's the best for me also. I used to carry and 1ds Mark iii with 5 lens. I now carry a M6 and M9 body. 28mm Elmarit, 35mm iV summicron, CV 35mm 1.2, 50 mm Summilux and 75mm Summarit. Billingham Bag, keep 2 lens on (usually the 35 cron on the M6 and 50mm on M9) with 3 lens in the bag plus a 24 Leica flash, extra battery, UV filters, and 8-10 rolls of film. Sounds like a lot but covers all the bases. I don't carry both cameras together while I'm shooting all the time. when I do this is what I do, It looks stupid but I make the neck strap longer on the M6 and shorter on the M9, carry them on my belly and chest with about a 2 inch gap between them. extras lens in my pockets.

I find it disconcerting to travel with a camera that is so expensive.

Actually I do too. A Dlux-4 would probably do everything that I really need but when I travel on vacation is when I want to enjoy my photography hobby. Most of my best photos are when I am on vacation. The M9 was a pleasure to have and use and enjoy on vacation.

Pete

I also find that I do my best photography when traveling, and I may have found a great travel companion for the cameral kit. I have resisted the iPad because of its limitations for photography and international travel. I wont repeat them here. I purchased the new (11") Macbook Air last week and have installed Adobe CS4 into it, and Photoshop runs quite well, allowing me to see both the JPEGs and RAW images. I am not interested in doing extensive post-processing on the road, but the small screen is perfectly adequate to do image reviewing and basic editing. Also, I can back up my work on the built in memory or use the computer as a device to back up the camera's SD card onto a compact, external hard drive or thumb drives.