How to resize photos for posting on the forum

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hesitate to get involved in the discussion, as I'm not a big poster of photos, but as someone who enjoys looking at other people's images, I just want to put a word in to encourage posting directly to the forum rather than linking to external sources. I find LUF is much better than most forums in this respect (in spite of the loss of earlier images when the forum software was updated), where browsing image threads is often defaced by post after post with empty boxes pointing to no longer existent links on Flickr, Smugmug or elsewhere.

Pop's forgotten link referenced above is this one I think:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/243529-leica-forum-faq-frequently-asked-questions/?p=2796992

Hi there,

good point - I added the linking bit just to make it easier for forum resources. IMHO, size concerns (and therefore size limitations) for linked photos don't make much sense, since there is no load to the forum imposed by linked images, at least as far as I am aware; the only point I see for limiting size for linked photos is to make it easier for viewers, since photos overspilling and forcing you to scroll (sideways especially) are annoying, hence my request now that most monitor are higher rez than two years ago. My personal reasons for that are twofold: first, larger images are better to look at, second since I prepare my jpg to post them on many forums, and since every other has much higher limitation than this, this limitation limits me (sorry about the pun) to post smaller files everywhere due to the limitations here, or forces me to add a step in my workflow just for the LUF - both steps that I'd rather avoid.

Best regards,

Vieri

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have put together a simple video to show how to resize your photos so that they are within the image and file size constraints of the forum.   Please ask here is anything is unclear.   I will also do a similar thing to show how to upload photographs to a thread.   I hope that this helps   http://www.andybarton.com/resize.mov

This is extremely easy to do in Lightroom if you wish. From the Library module you export a version of the photo in the form that you want. Simplifying tasks like this is part of its strength.   Part screen shot with example settings   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

But certainly nowhere near the quality I get when resizing properly. This one is uncropped.     Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

Just chiming in. In my experience, I don't try to post pictures where resolution and sharpness is high in .psd ou .tiff originals, because no matter what I'm trying, conversion is too lossy, Jpeg don't retain these crisp details and those pics lose much of their interest. I rather post more "atmospheric" shots where sharpness is not paramount. 

Edited by JHAG

I've written this countless times already... but of course not everyone reads every thread ;-)

So... to get the best results and really small files, do not ever compress your jpegs. Instead export them with the lowest compression possible (in general there will always be some compression but it's best to minimize it) from Photoshop, Lightroom, or whatever you use. Then optimize the files using an online service (such as https://tinypng.com/ or https://compressor.io/, etc.) or standalone software (such as https://imageoptim.com/mac or https://www.jpegmini.com/)

These tools optimize the files by removing all the unnecessary data and then "adjusts compression parameters for each image" (quoted from the imageoptim site).

In most cases the compression is lossless in the sense that they "significantly reduces the size of photographs without affecting their perceptual quality (quoted from the JPEGmini site).

Of course the result will still be a .jpg file and should not subsequently be used for editing, but the quality will be significantly improved over "normally" produced jpegs and with a smaller file size.

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2015 at 3:50 PM, Peter H said:

Before I start to load it says " You can upload up to 1000KB of files (Max. single file size: 1000KB)"

Once I've tried chosen the file and clicked the upload button, after a ten seconds or so I get a message in red saying "Error: this file was too big to upload."

I've followed the instructions in Andy's video, and until a while ago all was working fine. I haven't posted a photo for a while though, and whether the last time was before the forum change or not, I can't remember, but i have posted many before without difficulty.

Odd, or am I doing something daft?

I've had this problem as well. Reloading the page, then recreating the post and reattaching the image seems to allow the image file to be uploaded. Recent posts on the CL image thread have been (I think) my first posts since the new website launched.

I saved my images from LR CC (not LR Classic CC) with the only option chosen being setting the maximum side length to 1280 pixels. In all cases the image ended up less than the size limit.

When uploaded, I find that my images have been compressed anyway (looking at the My Attachments section of my profile), which is annoying,

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I save my files to post from Photoshop CC, “save for web” , about 480. Then checking the size on my IMac, it always shows about 20 more!...  therefore, I always save them around 480 to avoid passing 500.

But if you post a shot with a “link” from another site, you can post as large as that site allows you and the quality of the image in LUF is much better, without loading the shot directly in LUF.

13 minutes ago, Louis said:

I save my files to post from Photoshop CC, “save for web” , about 480. Then checking the size on my IMac, it always shows about 20 more!

Size can differ depending how the upload works. Calculating side x side pixels does give the image size, but not the size on disc. If an image is uploaded & stored and then the file size is read, it is usually larger (due to disc cluster factor). Of course that's an unfortunate way to determine size. I know because I've made the mistake in my own program. Once.

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, firoze said:

Can the software for this forum not be updated to automatically resize images, like almost all other photography websites do?

No thank you.  I prefer to keep control of image quality and some of the resizing algorithms in software used by photography websites leaves a lot to be desired.

Pete.

10 hours ago, firoze said:

Can the software for this forum not be updated to automatically resize images, like almost all other photography websites do?

It is not rocket science. In Photoshop use "image size" and keep an eye on your sharpening, in LR just set the parameters in "export as", other programs work similarly.

7 hours ago, farnz said:

No thank you.  I prefer to keep control of image quality and some of the resizing algorithms in software used by photography websites leaves a lot to be desired.

Pete.

I don’t think that is true. Most serious photography websites do a good job of resizing. Case in point are the DP Review forums. It certainly is possible to do it right.

I must agee with Pete. After resizing, no matter how well executed automatically, images often need some finishing.

However, from time to time I  see resizing disasters on our forum. Maybe automatic resizing should be available with the option to bypass with a properly resized image.

9 minutes ago, jaapv said:

..... Maybe automatic resizing should be available with the option to bypass with a properly resized image.

I think that is a very good idea Jaap! The option of automatic resizing would make it convenient to post from mobile devices. From reading other threads here (eg. the Tapatalk thread) I know a lot of members are frustrated (myself included) with not being able to post from mobile. 

48 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It is quite possible to post from a mobile device. I do so from time to time using an app called "image size" on my iPhone

I tried the App, it works very well indeed. Thank you for recommending it!

• jaapv unpinned this topic