Could someone help me, please? Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH OR Summicron-m 35mm ASPH?

RUBENS EDUARDO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I´m Rubens, a M6 user, and I would like to buy a moderate wide angle, and I don´t know if I buy a Summicron-M 35mm ASPH or a Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH. I had an impression the Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH is a little darker on shadows and don´t get rich details in comparison with a Summicron-M 35mm ASPH. Also, I think the Summicron-M 35mm ASPH get a higher level of flare in comparison to Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH. How I only saw images done with these lenses on the net and by a computer´s screen, I don´t know if my comparison is compromissed by the screen, or if the imagens are different in printings. I´ll do my printings at home with elarger.

I would like someone tell me if my impression about this comparison is correct.

Thanks,

Rubens Eduardo

Edited by RUBENS EDUARDO
INCOMPLETE

No, no-one can help you with that question. Because first, you have come up with an answer of your own: Which lens(es) do you own now?

If you have a good 50mm lens, and use it, and like it, then an argument can be made that the step from 50 to 35mm is a bit small. Too small? Well, sorry, but that is another question that you have to answer yourself.

But cheer up, there is a way out. On the front of the camera, there is a spring-loaded lever. You can use it to swing in bright frames in the finder, even though you don't own the lenses. So you can see which fields of view a 35mm lens, or a 28mm lens, would give you. Use that lever, looking out at various possible subjects. That will make your thinking a bit more informed.

The old man from the Age Before the Frame Selection Lever

Home

Welcome to ReidReviews

These two sites can be very helpful. Sean Reid's site is not free but worth every cent!

Choice of focal length depends upon which lenses you already have. If I had a 50mm my first moderate wide angle would be a 28, otherwise I would take the 35 as the most universal standard. My preference would always be for a 2.0 rather than 2.8 if I could afford it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As others have said it is more a matter of your personal preferences regarding focal length.

Both lenses perform superbly so I dont think that comes into the equation. They are small lenses, very similar sizes, use the same lens hood, the 28 being slightly smaller.

The 28 is a little more contrasty than the 28 summicron, but here in the UK with the weather as it is today thats an advantage.

Personally I prefer the 28mm field of view the 35 being a little tight for general view street photography. You may find it a little too wide. On the other hand it can serve a similar purpose to the 24 mm lenses and is very attractive (for Leica) cost wise. And of course you can use 'f8 and be there' more confidently than with the 35. I noticed Stefan Daniels plugged it in one of the videos from photokina.

Every lens flares under certain conditions, I just dont worry about it, the photo is more important.

One thing that is for sure:- Leica is an expert at making these decisions difficult, which is why so many of us end up buying not one or the other but eventually both.

Jeff

Rubens, Welcome. As others have noted, you seem to be asking two different questions. One regarding the rendering of 35mm vs 28mm; and one regarding the perspective of the lenses. This thread -- which discusses the 35mm perspective from a number of different and well-informed directions may be of some use:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/141722-35mm-lens-people-pictures.html

And again as others have noted, you partially answer the question by saying that you want a "moderate" wide angle lens. That certainly describes the 35mm; many would argue about whether it describes the 28mm... It depends on what you shoot and how you work. Do you like the 28mm perspective? Does it suit the way you photograph?

Hi Rubens,

Consider a tri :)

The MATE = 28-35-50 is the all inclusive model, since you have the 50mm, too.

Drawbacks: you only have f:4 and it sets your bank account back a bit.

Just sold one for 3500,- € which is a crazy price even for a mint Vers. 2 with lens-hood, 6-bit and even full set of boxes etc. Still have two of them, both Vers. 2 with a tab, though not in such immaculate condition, and am not selling again, since the idea of not having a back-up tri is hard to bear.

I wonder why Leica does not come out with a new version, or a "bi" = 28/50mm only and/or a 35/75.

Serious: what about 28mm and dare to crop occasionally? Unless you don't have a M6 0.85 like one of mine. But you don't even bother to tell us anything about your present lens(-es). Can't go wrong neither with the 28 ElmaritA nor with the 35 CronA imo.

Cheers!