Filters and TTL Metering

Leicanomad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I've ordered a couple of Heliopan filters for my recently aquired M6 TTL and am hoping to get some advice on their application - the filters are yellow/orange to help darken the sky when shooting B&W;

When using the filters, is it best to meter the subject with the filter off, fit the filter then manually adjust down a couple of stops or simply screw the filter into place and carry on as normal, letting the meter measure with the filter in place. As most of my subjects have a yellow/bright background, I currently tend to meter off the back of my hand then open up one stop.

Most of my photography is in the desert which I'm guessing means I won't be able to darken the sky too much, an extreme yellow filter will also lighten the sand dunes/rock faces. Any suggestions on how to darken the sky when the foreground is predominently yellow? I'm awaiting the delivery of an adaptor ring for the 'universal' polariser I purchased at the same time as the camera. A wildly expensive filter that I can't use on my 28mm lens until I receive the correct size adaptor ring...(doh!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Jim

Hi,

I've ordered a couple of Heliopan filters for my recently aquired M6 TTL and am hoping to get some advice on their application - the filters are yellow/orange to help darken the sky when shooting B&W;

When using the filters, is it best to meter the subject with the filter off, fit the filter then manually adjust down a couple of stops or simply screw the filter into place and carry on as normal, letting the meter measure with the filter in place. As most of my subjects have a yellow/bright background, I currently tend to meter off the back of my hand then open up one stop.

Most of my photography is in the desert which I'm guessing means I won't be able to darken the sky too much, an extreme yellow filter will also lighten the sand dunes/rock faces. Any suggestions on how to darken the sky when the foreground is predominently yellow? I'm awaiting the delivery of an adaptor ring for the 'universal' polariser I purchased at the same time as the camera. A wildly expensive filter that I can't use on my 28mm lens until I receive the correct size adaptor ring...(doh!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Jim

TTL means through the lens, that is metering light that goes through lens. So, it is logical if you want to meter light affected with filter, you put filter on lens, and meter will take care of metering filter affecting light.

Next, every filter lighten its colour and darken oposite. that is green filter will make foliage lighter, orange and red filter darken blue sky.

So, if yellow filter would lighten sand too much, try graduate filter, which I don't know how to use on rangefinder.

Other solution is to shoot without filter and to try to darken the sky in lab during printing, that is burn in the sky.

I cant remember other solutions.

Good luck

It may seem logical, but it does not work.

Meter, add filter, aply filter correction, expose.

Shoot a grey card, add the filter, then bracket around the manufactures filter factor using aperture only. Find the frame where density matches and that is the correction factor.

I have had some sucess with using exposure compentation settings that are different for each filter, then meter thru the lens and filter. Some results are off more than one stop and the denser the filter, the more off they can be.

Thanks for getting back to me, the filters should be here in around 2 weeks so I'll write back then and let you know how I get on. I'll shoot a few test rolls using either method. The reason for my asking was that I was wondering how accurate the internal meter was when looking at scenes that are predominatly yellow/orange/red due to the presence of the filter.

- Jim