Is DMR still worth to get?

azfaz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all

I would like to hear from you on my thoughts of getting DMR.

Perhaps some bground. I had experience with Nikon F5, D2H and R9.

At the moment still have the R9 and 3 lenses (21-35, 35-70 and 80-200 - not fast lenses though, F4 except 21-35).

I sold my D2H few years back and using P&S. Recently the feel of getting DSLR strike me again.

I've been looking at Nikon D700 but since I still have the R9 (mutual sharing between me and brother) I'm thinking of getting a used DMR (no more new).

So what is you opinions? Is it still worth to go? How much is normally the average price?

Btw, i dont have any specific shooting but most of the time family, sometimes macro, maybe once a year for MotoGP :), and family / office unofficial events.

Hope to hear more from experienced users here.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

It is of course "old"technology. It has a moderate ISO performance (up t 400 excellent, 800 OK, push -hohum) It is 1.3 crop. It is a heavy and hefty machine. It can be temperamental. It has just 10 Mp.

But - the sensor is a part of a medium-format one - it has no AA filter - the image quality is still sensational- it produces arguably the best colors out there- IQ can easily keep up with or surpass any DSLR on the market - the ergonomics are the best I've ever seen on an DSLR- It is built to last forever - Leica supports and repairs it - Personally I very much doubt if I will feel the need to upgrade if Leica ever comes with an "R solution". Mine is not for sale and will not be for the forseeable future. Prices are not low and I have a feeling they are rising - there are too many users out there that have similar ideas.

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...get a competent film scanner and save yourself a whole lot of angst, azfaz. Unless you feel you *must* have one.
Without wanting to start that particular hare running again, I make no absolute "quality"statement on the matter, - there is no way a scanned film image will ever look like a DMR shot.

Not true, James - Leica does support the camera, will keep on doing so, and there is a solution for the batteries - they can be reconditioned by a Leica-approved firm. (and some other firms as well).

Agree on this. Just called up Leica dealer here and they just sent a DMR unit to Leica for repair. Leica still supports it. Just that we don't know for how long.

On the film scanner i have a thought but still looking at digital output for now.

TIA

A possible solution to the battery problem: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/137075-dmr-battery-solution-michael-bass-designs.html

... there is no way a scanned film image will ever look like a DMR shot.

My film scanner started collecting dust as soon as I began working with the DMR's raw files.

Edited by wildlightphoto

Apart from the DMR you could use a Canon body to go digital but one has to like it (I don't like the handling). The handling of the DMR is just great in my opinion, esp. with the 80-200, my mainly used combination. You need a handful of batteries though.

I would not sell my DMR, also because the prices which I have seen (I don't follow them) seem to be around 2000 Euro, sometimes incl. camera. And I have also just discovered what Capture One does to portraits (compared to LR)... :)

Stuart: Yup....1st time i started browse Doug's website was in year 2004 / 2005 :)

Btw, care to share how much it cost you to change the mother board?

Viele: 2000 EUR including of the camera? That is really a good deal. So far i only came across Digital Back around that figure.

Thanks all. really appreciate your feedbacks :)

Dear all

I would like to hear from you on my thoughts of getting DMR.

Perhaps some bground. I had experience with Nikon F5, D2H and R9.

At the moment still have the R9 and 3 lenses (21-35, 35-70 and 80-200 - not fast lenses though, F4 except 21-35).

I sold my D2H few years back and using P&S. Recently the feel of getting DSLR strike me again.

I've been looking at Nikon D700 but since I still have the R9 (mutual sharing between me and brother) I'm thinking of getting a used DMR (no more new).

So what is you opinions? Is it still worth to go? How much is normally the average price?

Btw, i dont have any specific shooting but most of the time family, sometimes macro, maybe once a year for MotoGP :), and family / office unofficial events.

Hope to hear more from experienced users here.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

I saled my complete Leica R equipment und buyed a Nikon D700. I am happy and I have no troubles.

Greetings

KDB

It is worth it. It's a very confident system to use for high quality "sure photos."

Comparing the files to the M9, the M9 files have more information, and the M9 is a more compact camera that invites to experiments. The R9 is more the camera you set up to make shots - and get correct shots accordingly.

If I part with my R9/DMR it will be to focus solely on M9 style, or if I still need that quality, it would be the S2.

But if you look at what the R9/DMR does, it's an inexpensive edition of the S2. Provided that you already have the lenses. I'm not sure I would invest in an R system and add lenses all over again. It's a dead-end, but as long as it works, it works extremely well.

Usually DMR and camera are sold together. It's my experience that DMR alone usually cost the same as a set. So buy a set and sell one body.

• Like 2

azfaz,

I quite second all written advices about acquiring a DMR for your R9. It makes OUTSTANDING pictures within its limits.

As for comparing DMR pictures to scanned pictures, here is an example:

They are parts of two pictures made in Alarcon Parador, Spain, with the same lens (a 28-90 mm Vario-Elmarit) on the same R9, one year before I got the DMR for the film side, and the following year with the DMR. No other manipulation has been done except for assembling the two parts in Photoshop and cropping for the forum.

The scanner is a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED and the film was a Fuji. I think there is no comment to add...

Cheers

Gérard

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2