Preventing accidental shutter release

BennehBoy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apologies if this is an age old question that re-occurs with regularity, my searches did not turn up an answer....

Is there a simple way to prevent accidental shutter release on M series film cameras? I'm pretty much conditioned to automatically wind on after taking a shot, do I just need to break this habit and wind _before_ shooting?

I'd be interested to hear how others have worked around this - I frequently fire the shutter in my pocket/bag/by way of small children.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But, he mis-fires when the camera is in his bag or pocket...so he's not really 'ready' anyway. The wind on, however, could be done quickly as the camera is pulled out. I agree, though, that the camera should stay wound when in shooting mode, which isn't when the camera is tucked away.

Jeff

I have no apetite to know if he mis-fires when the camera is in his pocket, but I understand some people do think of Leica's in that way.

Steve

So, you don't care to address his question as originally posted? Saves a lot of time, too, to just read thread titles and respond. A lot of Leica users apparently do that also.

Jeff

I always wind the camera on its way up to my eye. I've never missed a shot yet. :) If my memory serves me correctly, I was taught to never leave a camera with the shutter wound, as this can cause the springs to loose tension over time. But that was a long time ago.

I haven't shot with a film M for a while, but I always wound on after taking the shot. I can't say that I remember the shutter firing when the camera was in the bad - and that was using a soft release. I'd look at how you're putting the camera in the bag.

I'm with Steve and the always wind on crew, I push the camera into bag vertically, tight slot, with hood & Uv, no softie. If you invert the open bag the camera wont normally fall out...

Rare to get an accidental exposure in bag. But M6 will flatten its batteries on repeated 1st pressure...

Get lots of inadvertent release with camera in hand as I ride the 1st pressure most of time, this also flattens the M6 batteries too.

Noel

I don't have any garments with pockets big enough to put an M camera in with lens...honestly.

so 'pocket release' is something I have no experience with.

Do use a bag occasionally but also dont have any experience with 'bag release'.

Maybe consider just wearing it around your neck or don't worry if you 'release' accidentally...film is cheap (ish)

good luck

andy

In M cameras with meter, often the problem is not just about the accidental shutter release, but the real problem could be the over consuming the batteries. Because often when the shutter is even slightly touched inside a bag, it triggers the meter to come on, if it gone on often enough, batteries got burn out. (of course, in the case of M7, it is easy enough to turn the switch off to lock the shutter.)

In use of Ms, I often just pay attention to it whether the shutter was wound or not, e.g. around the strap on the camera so that the shutter will be kept away from being touch the wall inside the bag, or configured in such way each time the M is put in there is enough room just over the shutter area. And never had that problem, even when carrying two Ms.

When carrying R and M both systems on a Billingham 335, I have custom configured spot for M, and it is a such a way the shutter will not be touched. When just carrying Ms with a smaller Fogg Forte bag, it is also configured and arranged in ways the M shutters are not being touched. Whether the Ms are winded or not.