Scanner or projector ??

jimblob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I have started using slide film and am using a plustek 7400 scanner to get images onto a pc for edinting and ciruclation.

I am still in the trial period for the scanner and may well take it back as i am not too happy with the results....soft images that have lost the 'leica' effect i am striving for in my images. :p

Does anyone have any experience of using a slide projector and photographing the projected images using a digital camera. In my head it makes sense. The leica provides the quality of capture I am looking for and my Canon 20D could be used to capture the projected images.

Surely this would give me equal or better images than a scanner....plus i can return the scanner and save time too.

Thoughts and ponderations?

cheers.

Jim

The new Plus Tech 7600 is a far better scanner. The 7400 is two generations back. Quality and affordable home scanning is no longer possible with new scanners as they are no longer made. Buying used is possible

Slide films have inherently more contrast which is exactly what you do not want for scanning. C41 color neg films are better.

I would not recommend copying a projected image and expect Leica quality. For one thing you probably don`t have a leica projector & lens and you need to glass mount the slides to get corner to corner resolution. No other projectors are as good. Secondly you are putting the image thru another step with inherent quality loss.

You have put a lot of stones in the path that you can not overcome.

Use some Kodak Portra 160 VC and have a PRO LAB scan it to high rez files and you can see what is possible. Walmart or the drug store will not make it for you.

I can make prints up to 8x10 from scanned film that come close to digital after which digital is the winner IF you have a quality digi camera.

I no longer use color in my film Leicas. I use a D3 Nikon.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, this leaves me in a quandry! Get rid of the 7400 scanner and get the labs to scan my pictures (pricey)....or keep it and use it for sub quality scans. Getting a pro-lab to scan the negs/slides when i actually take a keeper!

Some websites say you can take a macro photo using a lightbox to good effect.

Following your point regarding film....i have had some excellent results using B&W ilford 125. lovely.

Have had some AWFULL reuslts usinf Fuji 400....shot two rolls of this, perhaps processing was off but the colours/blown highlights/contrast are absolutely terrible. :mad:

Years back I used to copy slides on an opal glass plate. Depending on how much light I let around the mount, I could control the contrast. Honeywell repronar has an interior flash that raised shadow detail also.

You will need a good copy stand and back light the glass.

The contrast of the slide is probably too high for digital capture in a single exposure.

The best method is a double scan as I explained above. Sorry no free lunch.

Jim, I'm new to scanning too. It seems agreed that unsharp mask is required for scans. I just wondered if you'd tried this.

Pete

It depends on what you do with the image after you scan it. If you are not intending to use software such as Adobe Lightroom to make final adjustments then you will need to sharpen as it is scanned. If you are going to import the scan into third party image processing software then it can be done then.

I would recommend Lightroom to you if you are not already using it. Not only can you catalogue your photos into collections, print from it and create galleries for the web but it will make many of the adjustments that can be made in Photoshop. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Appreicate all your thoughts.

As a new experiment i have just purchaed a slide copier. It has a direct attachment to my Canon 20D, a series of integrated zoom lenses should allow me to photograph my slides/negs.

All the forum posts I have read lead me to believe this will either be an unmitigated disaster or a total success....time will tell. :confused:

As much as i appreciate using my leica glass and film combo.....its necessary to transfer images to a pc. Not for printing but for circulation to friends and familly.

I intend to get proper drum scans made if ever a print is warranted.

thoughts/experiences????

:)

Sometimes you need to turn down the brightness in the scan and then bring it back up in your editing software.

I have found with some scanners and some media, the internal light is too strong and blows out the details.

For an experiment you might try it.

Photographing screen image from a project sounds like a good idea but results are terrible.

See: Comparing Methods to Transfer Slides to Digital

Old scanners have almost certainly been surpassed. The new flatbed Canon scanners get a good review. See: Scanner Review: CanoScan 8800F

I also get slide films scanned by a pro lab, but DIY is not a bad idea. I'd get a new scanner.