Sign in to follow this  
Ida

Noise with Leica DIgilux 3 - What to do?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone!

I own a Leica Digilux 3 and lately I have been noticing a noise even when shooting with only ISO 200, not to speak more ISO. I need the camera for work and with this amount of noise it's almost impossible to use it. Is this usual with this camera? I doubt that it was that bad when I bought it.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

A sample of a noisy image would possibly be useful. Take a small portion of the image (no more than - say - 500 pixels on a side) at a magnification of 100%.

The problem with this (partial) picture is not with noise. The picture is completely out of focus. I would suggest submitting a properly focused image.

yeah, out if focus, because the focus was on something else in the photo. this was the part of the photo where you can see the noise best.

Guest zoz

I don´t know the Digilux but other FT Cameras and think this is normal.

Noise is changing with different light situation and WB-Settings.

Use a tool like noise ninja or neat image and it will be gone...

Of course You must be careful because these tools are also able to cost You a lot of detail.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Ida,

I use the Dig 3 with kit lens which I guess you are doing. Obviously it is not possible for me to give you a definitive answer based on one image but:

The file looks immediately familiar noise wise, but I would not expect to see it show up so aggressively at ISO 200. This looks more like 800 or even 1600. You may also notice some banding of the noise from top to bottom and slightly slanted. If you really want to use the ISO function it helps a lot if you create a film 2 setting with maximum red suppression - and zero everything else off.

Personally I always stick with ISO 100 - mainly because of the banding. And I have just bought the Leica 25mm f1.4 for faster work.

Hope this helps

Johnny

A few tips to reduce noise: Make sure you don't underexpose your shots. Try bracketing or shooting in manual mode with an incident meter. Shoot in low-contrast mode. Set the white balance manually instead of automatic. Basically try to get the exposure/colors correct in camera rather that recover them in post.

I would recommend shooting RAW and using Nik's Dfine 2.0 to reduce chroma noise in the pictures. I use this with my Digilux 2 and Digilux 3 and I am pretty happy with the results!

I'd just split it in LAB obliterate A and B with Gaussian recombine and live with the result.

Since I dont know how big the original is I have no idea if the 'grain' is a problem or not. Depends I guess.

[ATTACH]217722[/ATTACH]

here you go:

Just a question. Your picture "example" has a format of 960 x 960 pixels. It is transported as jpg in 60 kb. In png it would take 830 kb.

Is the jpg-format (not loss free) the right choice for your problem?

Jan

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MrSWphoto
      Hi, I was sent here by Adam Miller,
      Attached are some photos of a Leica that I am struggling to Identify. Even with searching numbers.
      the number on the top of the camera is "Nr. 117679" and on the Lens is "Nr. 1394403" (lens I believe is mid 1950s)
      The Item came as part of a house clearance and was saved from going in a skip.
      Any help with getting a year or model for the camera body would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By BFMount
      I took a very underexposed shot and tried raising the exposure 3.4 stops, and I expect noise, but what are these horizontal lines? Is it normal? This was taken with my 'new' used LeicaQ. Is this expected? I've never seen this before, and I've definitely shot underexposed before. Should I return this camera? Is it defective? Thank you!

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By onasj
      I obtained a customer-release—not pre-release/beta—M10-R and compared it side-by-side with the M10 Monochrom (hereafter referred to as the M10-M) on a test scene at high ISO values.  The firmware version for both was the latest firmware currently available to the public: 10.20.27.20 for the M10-R (upgraded from the initial released 10.20.23.49 firmware that was pre-installed in the new camera), and 2.12.8.0 for the M10-M. 
      Methodology: all shots were taken on a tripod with a 2-second delay to minimize vibration.  The same Leica 50 APO lens was used for all tests.  The aperture was set to f/5.6 for all tests, at which the resolving power of the 50 APO is about as high as possible among commercially available 35-mm format lenses.  The ISO value and shutter speeds were as follows:
      ISO 6400, 1/60 s
      ISO 12500, 1/125 s
      ISO 25000, 1/250 s
      ISO 50000, 1/500 s
      ISO 100000 (M10-M only), 1/1000 s
      To the best of my ability, the M10-R and the M10-M were treated equally.  The test shots were taken in one sitting, with the same tripod position 2.2 m from the target, and under the same lighting.  The images were focused by rangefinder and confirmed by live view for each camera.  The subject distance (2.2 m) was farther from the test scene than my earlier M10-R tests (1.3 m) because I anticipated that the M10-M might have no trouble resolving all the details of the scene from 1.3 m, even at absurdly high ISOs.
      To keep the test as pure as possible, all the test shots were taken as DNG files, then transferred and opened in Adobe Photoshop 2020 with Camera Raw 12.3 (which has native M10-R support) with no corrections or adjustments to the default image settings, other than clicking “B&W” to convert the M10-R images to monochrome.  Therefore, this test does not really answer the question of how the performance between the cameras compares if one were to bring the full power of modern post-processing, noise removal, AI-driven scaling and sharpening, etc. to bear on the images.  It also does not exploit the important ability of adjusting the levels of different colors when converting color files to monochrome files—arguably the largest advantage of using the M10-R to generate monochrome photos instead of the M10-M.  Instead, the purpose of this test is to compare the acuity and noise level of the two cameras at ISO 6400 to ISO 50000.
      Overall, both cameras take remarkably good monochrome photos, even at ISO levels such as 12500 that would previously be considered out-of-reach.  Here are 100% crops from a small portion of the center region of both cameras (M10-R on the left, M10-M on the right).  Click on the image below to view it at 100% to avoid scaling artifacts.  I would have no hesitation using ISO 12500 monochrome images from either camera for virtually any application.  But of course there are substantial performance differences.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Finding #1: The M10-M captures higher acuity levels than the M10-R across the ISO range tested (6400 to 50000).
      As expected, given the lack of a Bayer color filter array (CFA) and no need to de-mosaic the red-, green-, or blue-filtered pixels, the M10-M offers significantly higher acuity than the M10-R.  To my eye, the advantage persists even if you give the M10-R an advantage of one or two stops: compare the sharpness of the fine features of the scene as captured by the M10-M at ISO 25000 vs. the M10-R at ISO 6400, or the M10-R at ISO 25000 to the M10-M at ISO 100000—a remarkable testament to the M10-M’s ability to capture a scene down to the smallest details, even zooming in to 100%.  Notice also that at the same ISO level, aperture, and shutter speed (chosen by each camera’s auto-shutter speed setting to be the same at all ISO levels!), the M10-M images are only modestly brighter than the M10-R; I was surprised that the Bayer CFA didn’t dim the M10-R images more strongly.  Perhaps the M10-R firmware partially compensates for the loss of light due to the Bayer CFA.
      Finding #2: The M10-M offers about a 1- to 2-stop advantage in high-ISO noise levels over the M10-R.
      Compare the M10-M at ISO 50000 to the M10-R at ISO 12500, or the M10-M at ISO 25000 to the M10-R at ISO 6400. The M10-M continues to blow me away with its high-ISO performance.  Indeed, Bill Claff’s measurements at https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm rank the M10-M’s high ISO performance as fourth among all cameras tested to date, behind the Phase One IQ4, the Phase One IQ3, and the Fuji GFX-100—three current or recent top-of-the-line medium format cameras.
      Overall, Leica has created in the M10-M and the M10-R two current-generation sister cameras with outstanding overall performance.  If acuity or high-ISO performance is more important than color for your particular application, than the M10-M outperforms the M10-R and is among the very best cameras to my knowledge, even joining some medium-format monsters.  And if color is needed, either in the final image or to enable creative conversion to black and white images that allows easy sky darkening, face lightening, etc. during post-processing, the M10-R remains an option worthy of its current flagship status among Leica M cameras.
    • By kodachrome
      I'm looking for a battery for a Digilux 3. I can't seem to find one. Would anyone know of a place in the U.S. that might have one

I have this list of compatible model numbers, often leading to questionable websites

Leica
      BP-DC1, BP-DC3, BP-DC3 E, BP-DC3 J, BP-DC3 U
      Panasonic
      CGR-S602, CGR-S602A, CGR-S602A/1B, CGR-S602E/1B, CGR-S602SE, CGR-S603A/1B, DMW-BL14
    • By Yeedah
      Hi!
      I recently purchased a used Leica Q manufactured early 2018. 
      When I try shooting in night, both "low iso + long exposure", and "high iso + short exposure" captured in DNG file shows annoying banding, and even some unwanted color points, like the images shown below.
      Is this a native camera issue? Or this camera sensor is defected : (