New M Film Camera Due

Rolo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I heard today from a dealer that there is strong indication from Leica that a new M film camera is due for launch soon.

It's speculated that some technology will be added ~ focus confirmation etc. No facts, but some confidence. Too late to draw up another wish list.

Can anyone add to this ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolo,

Yes you could be right it was mentioned in AP when the M8 was previewed back in Sept'06 that they were working on a follow up M series film camera ,due to rumours that the M7/MP were the last in the line,which would be impossible to think of.

Cheers

Matthew.

It's speculated that some technology will be added ~ focus confirmation etc.

Would that be needed on an M camera? I can see the point on an AF camera where manual focusing aids are often lacking, but surely if a user can't tell if they have focus correct on a rangefinder, either they should be focusing on something with greater contrast at a similar distance, or be using a different camera.

Would that be needed on an M camera? I can see the point on an AF camera where manual focusing aids are often lacking, but surely if a user can't tell if they have focus correct on a rangefinder, either they should be focusing on something with greater contrast at a similar distance, or be using a different camera.

I hear what you say, but my dealer tells me that old, tired eyes are a significant reason for photographers giving up rangefinder photography.

Suppose the age distribution of M owners is weighted more towards lifes experienced end than some other model types, so this could be well founded.

Actually focus confirmation could work in a rangefinder camera without any of the negative points that it causes in SLRs - primarily a dimmer viewfinder - since we aren't looking directly through the lens. As long as it was switchable - and could fit into a standard sized M body - it would be ok. The only problem that I can see is that as the lens is stopped down on an M camera there is less light falling on any sensor so the system would get progressively less efficient at smaller apertures.

My money is still on an M7.? with the M8/R9 shutter - faster shutter speeds and faster flash sync.

IF (a big IF), there were another film M, it most likely would be a M7 with the M8 shutter mechanism in it. It's already been engineered, and it seems to work well.

At the current Leica prices, this would be the only reason to spring for a new film M IMHO.

I don't know about focus confirmation. The M lenses stop down when set to shooting aperture, so they aren't transmitting enough light beyond f/5.6 for it to work ... unless some computerized light enhancing technology were employed.

Those having difficulty focusing a M camera may need to explore fitting the correct Leica diopter. Few sets of eyes are as old or as crappy as mine, and I shoot with a 75/1.4 all the time. I currently use a 1.5X diopter.

IF (a big IF), there were another film M, it most likely would be a M7 with the M8 shutter mechanism in it. It's already been engineered, and it seems to work well.

Those having difficulty focusing a M camera may need to explore fitting the correct Leica diopter. Few sets of eyes are as old or as crappy as mine, and I shoot with a 75/1.4 all the time. I currently use a 1.5X diopter.

Marc,

I suspect a new M film camera is a really small 'if' for the following reasons:

1 - It's already been engineered. M7 with metal shutter, uprated speeds and better flash control. Already named M7-2.

2 - We all know what happens to a company that says "we are satisfied with our product".

3 - Leica need to offer a full frame M.

4 - They would sell it - You would buy two.

5 - They have said as much:

Michael Agel Leica Press & PR, 2006 was asked:

Question : The M7 is an analogue camera, the M8 a digital one. At the press conference it was clearly said that this doesn't mean that a new M camera won't be an analogue camera. So it is possible that if a M9 appears, it will be using film again?

Answer : It is the idea to have two series, one digital and one analogue. But what can we change on the M7? It is perfect and if the M7 will be modified it will probably be called M7-2 or so. With digital we will be changing more often. So I think with the current viewpoint, the Leica M9 will be a digital camera. But there is no policy on that; we like to keep our options open.

I don't read that he means one developing M8 series and one left for dead M7.

The focus confirmation is not a serious prediction on my part, but there are many 75+ year old Leica M owners that struggle a bit more than you do with eye sight that would welcome some form of focus assist.

Anti-shake as well ?? Ha !

One thing which might be of interest - with the lens coding thingy for the M8, would it be possible to use this to project electronic (or mechanical) "one frame at a time" lines into the viewfinder rather than the "two at a time" standard since the M4-P (and yes, to forestall those who may rush to point out the error, I'm fully aware that the M4 has both 35mm and 135mm lines simultaneously - not to mention the permanent 50mm lines on the M3. The reference is to two frames at all focal lengths).

with the lens coding thing for the M8, would it be possible to use this to project electronic (or mechanical) "one frame at a time" lines into the viewfinder rather than the "two at a time" standard since the M4-P ...

I agree with you, Tim ... that would be very interesting!