photokina - Your Questions To Leica

LUF Admin

Question 1) Do you think there are still improvements to be made in CCD technology where we could get lower noise especially at high isos without the need for noise reduction in the software? Is there a possibility Leica M cameras will eventually adopt CMOS sensors?

Question 2) We all know the demand for Leica M9 cameras are high, but is there a possibility of a price decrease soon so the camera is within reach of larger audiance?

Question 3) Would be be possible to redesign the M cameras so that the larger lenses will not be visible (or less visible) in the view finder?

Question 4) Is it technically possible to have in camera image stabilization in a future M camera, or is this not possible with manual focus only lenses?

1) Yes.

2) Leica will decide this in the light of future circumstances.

3) Yes, though it would mean a total redesign of the range/viewfinder and make the camera much bigger.

4) Yes, though it would mean a total redesign of the body and make the camera much bigger.

Let's only ask questions to which we don't already know the answers.:)

• Like 2

[schmal]photokina - Your Questions To Leica

Next month in Cologne the photokina will take place - again a great opportunity to get in contact with Leica and other manufacturers.

Together with Leica I'll organize a meeting (most probably on Saturday) with forum members and some Leica product managers to give you the chance to talk to Leica directly.

Do you mean Saturday 25th September?

I live just a few km away and would love to join.

Teddy

Whatever happened to the perpetual upgrade program?

The company realised that it was - from an engineering point of view - an extremely stupid idea, sacked the man responsible, and dropped it.

Actually there is a perpetual upgrade program, you take your M8 to your dealer and part exchange it for an M9. Probably cheaper that any factory upgrade could have been.

...snipped......

Actually there is a perpetual upgrade program, you take your M8 to your dealer and part exchange it for an M9. Probably cheaper that any factory upgrade could have been.

........... and the result is a distinctly better camera to boot.

...for the immediate through firmware update...

1) some improvement at high ISO.

2) option in the menus for auto-reset of compensation in A mode.

The following are outside the firmware.....but possible without big problems....

3) more informations in the viewfinder also in M mode (at least shutterspeed an ISO).

3) lower cover with openings for SD and battery.....also like accessory.

5) update resolution of LCD screen....

The lasts improvements maybe modify the camera body and then Leica offer un low cost upgrade for existing M9 users. :)

For the next DRF (M10?) time will tell.:D

Given the fact, that most competitors are heavily invesing in EVIL cameras - ther must me a demand on this gear. Leica once had "MD"-versions of thier M-caneras whithout a viewfinder, why not reviving this: Instead of no, put a electronic one into the body... ist there anythink like this currentyl developed, or thought about?

Cheers; Arndt

Before I raise my questions, I would like to first congratulate Leica on how they have been able to deal with the vary difficult market over the last years. I also understand that the market is still extremely difficult, but the focus on quality has proven to be a successfull one. Let us all support our beloved camera brand to make sure that it will thrive in the still very difficult waters.

My questions for the Photokina:

1. Would Leica consider a square sensor format for a future M camera?

2. Does Leica consider improving high-iso support on their M cameras as important?

3. Does Leica consider further improving dynamic range for their cameras to be important?

4. Does Leica consider a separate iso dial on the M cameras?

5. Does Leica consider sensor-cleaning functionality for M cameras?

6. Does Leica consider EVIL to be a possible strategy for future M cameras?

7. What is the Leica strategy to bind the latest generation of photographers?

8. Does Leica have plans to come with native applications on iPad or iPad like devices?

9. Does Leica consider partnering with e.g. PocketWizard to have wireless E-TTL support?

With kind regards,

Barend Jan de Jong

http://infocast.nl

1) Will I be able, to order a fully clean top decked, no "M9", no Leica logo, black paint M9 with a x0.85 viewfinder soon?

Yesterday I vistited the Leica factory at Solms. They told us that they "stopped" a possible "M9- a la carte" programme because of the limited assembling capacity . I believe this explanation - when I saw the assambling line (M9, MP,M7, X1 and S2) in a really tiny hall.

It will change when Leica moves to Wetzlar (Leitz-Park, not before 2011/2)

• Like 2

Andreas,

My two questions are:

1) Is further work being done on red edges and vignetting for wider lenses on M9 firmware, e.g WATE?

2) Can we look forward to a 28mm Summilux-M at some time in the near future?

Wilson

My questions to Leica include:

1. Will Leica produce a focus comfirmation light/sensor for the M9 camera? Or even better for a R-solution,

btw: I guess there are x-thousend or R-lens holders waiting for a prof. system which show the quality of the lenses they bought ! X14

A focus comfirmation light will be great for low light and people who wear glasses. Many 50 year olds and older have vision problems and have a difficult time with the precision focus of Leica's lenses. Many seniors would really like to own a Leica for travel photography.

My5cent

M-Series like it is: old-fashioned rangefinder concept!

But please with a outstanding 920k display,

higher fps (2-3fps),

better sd card access,

better viewfinder (esp. for tele),

internal dust cleaning system and much better firmware...

Leica spend so much time for a new summilux-line between 21-24-35 and other wide-angle lenses

My question here: what is with lens >=90mm?

And did someone mention before: what is with a digital R-System? ;)

Regards

C+

Hi all,

I just acquired the X1. I think adding a Hyperfocal mode to the 3 existing AF mode would allow better street photography without wondering too much about AF focusing speed.

Would Leica consider such option in a future firmware upgrade ?

Regards,

F. Lepage

+1

• Like 2

Hi all,

I just acquired the X1. I think adding a Hyperfocal mode to the 3 existing AF mode would allow better street photography without wondering too much about AF focusing speed.

Would Leica consider such option in a future firmware upgrade ?

Regards,

F. Lepage

Excellent suggestion! And hoping it's in the works.