photokina - Your Questions To Leica

LUF Admin

X1 with active IR focus

When I read the reviews of the X1, the main complaint seems the (slow) focus.

I photographed last week with the Konica Hexar AF.

The X1 and Hexar AF have a lot in common:

- they share the same angle of view. (35mm in FF = 24mm at APS-C)

- both have AF

- both are capable of creating supurb pictures

But:

- the X1 is digital

- the ergonomics of the X1 is far superior (the buttons on the Hexar AF are much too smal)

However the AF of the Hexar is by far superior. It operates fast and acurate, even in darkness. (try to focus with a X1 on a dark dancefloor)

The technology exists. Perhaps IR-focus systems are not manufactured anymore, but that should not stop Leica. If they cannot buy it they could make it. It would set the X1 apart from all the other compact cameras with big sensors (and Evil)

So I ask Leica to rethink the X1 and incorporate IR focussing.

• Like 2

Guest BigSplash
Oneshot, that has to be a record. Straight to my ignore list on your first post. I guess the name fits. See ya.

Redbaron not sure that this is a very gracious welcome to someone who has just joined the forum. Still I am sure eventually they will put you into the appropriate basket.

Why would one limit the shortest shutter time menue for auto iso at 1/30 for the x1? And when will thig bug optimized via Firmware?

When will it be possible to have ae-lock seperate from af-lock in the x1?

Other than that I am pretty happy with both the M9 system and the x1.

• Like 1

Guest BigSplash

The biggest issues for me has to be:

• Outgoing Quality (including callibration) of the cameras.....This is not where it needs to be.
  • Reliability of M8 and M9 is not good enough
  • Turnaround time from client to dealer, to Solms and back is too long and too expensive.

What are Solms plans to address these issues? How? If as has been suggested to me that there is no reliability issue on the shutters (ie There are supposed to be very very few failures) then why not give a five year guarantee on the shutter?

I also would like M9 features to be made available for M8 at an additional price .....What is the Leica plan if any for this?

I'm an M6 M8 V-Lux 20 and now X1 owner. My question is really a comment on the X1, and leather case. The X1 was a great surprise. Great little camera, I have been looking for a small carry around emergency backup to my pro bodies that shoots quality for a long long time, the V-Lux 20 was a major disappointment after all the hype, and the X1 a pleasant surprise after all the bashing on the web.

I would suggest in the next version to have a lock on the pop up flash. No matter what bag you carry it in it always pops up on it's own.

The 18709 case is not well thought out. You cannot use the lens cap or the grip with it. If you do leave the lens cap attached to the camera it will go flying when you open the case. A lens cap re-design would fix this problem and a re-design on the 18709 would fix the grip situation.

All in all? Great job on the X1 shoots every bit as good as the M8, depending on what lens the M8 has on it.

Thanks,

Lee

• Like 1

With so much sales of new cameras eventually they will need servicing...... can we hope that Leica will open more service centres around the world for speedier service time. Example if I wish only to have my sensor clean by a train technician from Leica I would love to have my camera back in no time...... can that be someday possible?

Question 1) Do you think there are still improvements to be made in CCD technology where we could get lower noise especially at high isos without the need for noise reduction in the software? Is there a possibility Leica M cameras will eventually adopt CMOS sensors?

Question 2) We all know the demand for Leica M9 cameras are high, but is there a possibility of a price decrease soon so the camera is within reach of larger audiance?

Question 3) Would be be possible to redesign the M cameras so that the larger lenses will not be visible (or less visible) in the view finder?

Question 4) Is it technically possible to have in camera image stabilization in a future M camera, or is this not possible with manual focus only lenses?

I think this is one of the most important questions to many Leica fans.

The second important one (though #1 for me :cool:): Will there be a further development of the Digilux 2, i.e. a camera that really deserves to be named a successor?

The same for me!!! :)

I really want both a solution for R lenses AND a Digilux 2's technology refresh. Please not an Xy something.... a true Digilux 2 evolution, with a lens of that quality and the same compact package (and EVF, obviously).

Paolo

My questions to Leica

Will Leica produce a much needed ultra telephoto lens (700mm) greater than the planned 350mm and a 50mm wide angle lens for the Leica S2 camera?

Currently, a matched teleconverter will not deliver the same optical performance as a designed from scratch 700mm. Us professionals who use the S2 now, want and need both a 700mm AND a 50mm wide angle lens. The 35mm lens angle of view is too great and there is a definite gap between the current 35 and 70mm lens. We need and want both a 700mm and 50mm lens for our S2 cameras. Thanks Leica...Great optics and superior camera.

Maybe not for this forum, but what exactly CAN be updated with firmware? ISO noise sensitivity? Autofocus speed? Lens (back) focus correction? Shutter speeds? FPS?

I'm asking because I really don't know. I see minor updates as each firmware gets released but keep wondering why they don't go full stop on some of them.

Maybe if someone (who knows the features factually and has the time) can post a list of all of the items that CAN be updated with a firmware update we can create our own wishlist...get an answer as to when/why Leica has/can't achieve them.

1. Company Philosophy

-Will Leica remain relevant to contemporary photography or is it happy with its luxury brand status among loyal fans?

-Now that the company is in better financial health, will it improve its customer service in terms of body repair and lens coding turnaround time?

2. Target audience: past or future of photography?

(Choice of words intentionally provocative and caricatural, not meant as disrespect for customer forum users)

-Thought experiment: would a 21rst century Cartier Bresson be able to afford a Digital Leica M10 camera? or would he rather use a Canon or Nikon full-frame SLR based on excellent signal-to-noise ratio and affordability despite bulky form factor?

-Will Leica perpetually target upper-tier photographers, i.e. brand afficionados, collectors, rich amateurs and mechanical tourbillon watch collectors?

-Will Leica ever be affordable/used again by professional photojournalists?

-Will future M10 buyers travelling to remote areas be told by vendors that they "should purchase two bodies in case one fails because it is plagued by reliability issues"?

3. Technical excellence

-Distinguishing features of Leica M cameras are: silent operation, compact form factor, manual operation relying on judgment and proprioception rather than electronics, short lag time, fluid workflow, ruggedness, stealthiness and usability in politically unstable environments.

Specific questions:

a. What are the steps taken to preserve and improve these distinguishing features on the M10?

b. What dictates the necessity for a metallic rather than cloth shutter? are shutters even necessary with digital sensors and electronic gating?

c. Will processor speed improve to resolve buffer bottleneck issue?

d. Would it be possible to improve the bottom plate design and not require long nails?

e. Can you weather seal the body?

f. Can you restore the sapphire glass and protect it within recessed edges?

g. Can you make sure the camera is always usable handheld, i.e. high ISO with lower noise even at f2.0 since maximum summilux aperture is not always desirable.

h. Since aperture is already displayed in the viewer, why not add shutter speed and ISO?

Edited by Duotango
Clarification

When is production going to catch up with demand for the most popular M lenses, in particular the 90mm Summicron?

+3 on this one. I want a 50 'lux ASPH and can't find one. Hard to keep a loyal following of photographers when some of the most common lenses are back ordered for months at a time.