My Leica Bag... A proof of concept...

ryan1938

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, so I'm a pretty big history dork. In fact, I work in "history" for a living... It's just part of me. And so when it was time to figure a bag for my new (to me) M8, I decided to look towards WWII.

My requirements for a bag were simple. I wanted something small that would carry my camera with a lens attached as well as another lens and some accessories - spare battery, lens cleaning stuff, etc... I also didn't want anything that looked like a camera bag. Security I guess...

The biggest thing though was size and weight. I wanted this thing to get out of the way when I wasn't using it.

I had two bags that fit the bill. The first is an officer's map case that was issued in 1941. The second was general purpose ammunition bag issued in '44. The map case is ideal because the size is perfect and it has a few accessory pockets for pens, filters, etc... However, it needs to be modified a bit to work. The armor needs to be removed and dividers need to be taken out of the main compartment.

Rather than tear into my mint map case, I decided to test my concept on the relatively common ammo bag. The first step was to get a bag insert. I looked at all available on the market, but none were of the size I wanted - 8"w x 8"h x 4"d. So, I had a buddy make one for me.

Once done, I put it into the 70 year old ammo bag and realized I was onto something. It's perfect - light, small, protective, and looks nothing like a camera bag to me.

The Map case is about to get cut up and made into my final M8 carry bag... But I figured I would show you guys my proof of concept.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This looks like a novel concept; however it looks surprisingly deep for its purpose. I prefer a bag which allows an M camera to be inserted end-on so that I can withdraw it, grip-end first without having to remove anything above it. Likewise with lenses, although I have had to resort to using the old Leica coupler to combine two lenses, again end-on. My requirement was met perfectly by one of the A &A bags, so popular among other members of the forum.

This looks like a novel concept; however it looks surprisingly deep for its purpose. I prefer a bag which allows an M camera to be inserted end-on so that I can withdraw it, grip-end first without having to remove anything above it. Likewise with lenses, although I have had to resort to using the old Leica coupler to combine two lenses, again end-on. My requirement was met perfectly by one of the A &A bags, so popular among other members of the forum.

That's exactly how this works. The bag insert has two compartments. the camera goes in one with the grip end up... It's a quick draw.

I didn't want a new camera bag. The idea just didn't appeal to me... nor the price... This just seems more me I guess.

Ryan - I have used similar cotton canvas bags for some time.

The issue I had mainly with this form factor is, that you are fighting with the bag, to get a camera in and out due to it's immense depth.

The depth of course has one advantage - making a secure flap almost unnecessary, as the gear gets lost less easy.

Have a look at how long you wear your shoulder strap - I wear mine more on the short side, where it is very awkward, to get into the deep bag for a camera.

I use not again messenger bags of around 2/3 the height and more length, so I can carry 2 bodies with lens and 2 spare lenses comfortably.

The best bags I have had were made to replicate the Vietnam Medic's bag (M3 pack), but with more robust materials. The late Eddie Adams had some made in Vietnam of leather and heavy-duty zippers. At that time it was famously known simply as The Bag. A more recent copy is made of rugged nylon.

eq17.jpg

Here is a photo of one original pack. Thanks to Spooky Nored for the photo.

Or surf for a variant called the MOLLE M-3 pack.

I can post pics of my own black nylon version later. The virtue of these is that the pack folds up to be compact, then using just one hand the front folds down to two zippered sections, and one large section.

Edited by pico

I have one of the "Eddie Adams" bags. I bought it new from Eddie. It came packed with Vietnamese newspapers to pad it for shipping. I still have it. I never knew, however, that it was derived from a medic's bag. In addition to being called "The Bag" it was also just called the "Eddie Adams' Bag". Nicole was right-on about the gas mask bag. It was very popular in the 1960's. It's odd to think that in the 60's there weren't a lot of bags for "working" photographers. There were these monster-huge bags that were no good. Bensor made these fussy hard cases with all these compartments and built-in boxes for lenses. National Geographic photographers used a bag they called the "Traveler". But it was a hard sided case. Hard enough you could stand on them. Until Jim Domke designed his bag in mid-70's there just wasn't a good bag for working photographers. He really popularized the great 'working' bag. Photojournalists of that era usually solved the problem by just wearing all their cameras. Two Leicas around the neck with different length straps and a Nikon F on each shoulder. That'd usually 'cover' you pretty well. All of this is in reference to USA.

• Like 2

I have one of the "Eddie Adams" bags. I bought it new from Eddie. [...]

My gosh, that's not only a great bag, but a historical wonder. I became familiar with it because I was a medic ('64-68), then a staff news photographer. Thanks for your post. It is very informative. Yes, we did just wear the cameras. I kept a military shoulder bag with a poncho and film. Indeed, Nikon F-36 for long lenses, a Leica or two. If we were lucky, Eddie's Bag. I still have the Leicas and boy are they beat up.

Do you think there would be a market for another Eddie Bag in leather? I don't think the design is proprietary because it is a copy of a US military item. If you do, then we could confirm dimensions with yours and go for it. I've an underemployed leather worker right up the road.

Edited by pico

The best bags I have had were made to replicate the Vietnam Medic's bag (M3 pack), but with more robust materials. The late Eddie Adams had some made in Vietnam of leather and heavy-duty zippers. At that time it was famously known simply as The Bag. A more recent copy is made of rugged nylon.

eq17.jpg

Here is a photo of one original pack. Thanks to Spooky Nored for the photo.

Or surf for a variant called the MOLLE M-3 pack.

I can post pics of my own black nylon version later. The virtue of these is that the pack folds up to be compact, then using just one hand the front folds down to two zippered sections, and one large section.

Yep... I love M3 packs. They are GREAT.

I finished my "Map Case Conversion" last night and took it shooting today. It's perfect. Everything I could want in a camera bag.

I've noticed a lot of comments about the depth of my bag. I think maybe you guys are missing the proportions of this thing. It's only 8" wide and just a hair over 10" tall. As far as reach depth, it is absolutely perfect.

In any case, here's some shots of the final product.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I also didn't want anything that looked like a camera bag. Security I guess...

Depends on where you are, the bag people in London hate bags with Nikon (e.g.) on them, cause they are unlikely to have cards, or cash in them, if they get one of yours they will inventory and drop in river/canal/trash intact PDQ.

Cash does not have a serial number...

In third world they will steal any bag...

Noel

Pico - I'll get some measurements for you on the "Eddie Adams Bag". Only problem with the bag was that the main compartment had no dividers. Today you'd want to slide in a divider or two. Part of the reason so many cameras from that era were beat to heck is that bags like this lacked the dividers. I remember turning a new 180mm f2.8 Nikkor into a battle-warn-looking lens within six months of that bag. (Actually, it might have only taken three months.)

• 9 years later...
On 8/14/2010 at 10:21 AM, steamboat said:

I have one of the "Eddie Adams" bags. I bought it new from Eddie. It came packed with Vietnamese newspapers to pad it for shipping. I still have it. I never knew, however, that it was derived from a medic's bag. In addition to being called "The Bag" it was also just called the "Eddie Adams' Bag". Nicole was right-on about the gas mask bag. It was very popular in the 1960's. It's odd to think that in the 60's there weren't a lot of bags for "working" photographers. There were these monster-huge bags that were no good. Bensor made these fussy hard cases with all these compartments and built-in boxes for lenses. National Geographic photographers used a bag they called the "Traveler". But it was a hard sided case. Hard enough you could stand on them. Until Jim Domke designed his bag in mid-70's there just wasn't a good bag for working photographers. He really popularized the great 'working' bag. Photojournalists of that era usually solved the problem by just wearing all their cameras. Two Leicas around the neck with different length straps and a Nikon F on each shoulder. That'd usually 'cover' you pretty well. All of this is in reference to USA.

This is so true --- it's exactly as I remember it.

That’s what happens when you stumble across an old thread. What I remember - when I come into that remembering part - is at the 70s - when Domke and his bags blew through Washington DC  -and all the shooters there —— those were fun days. And a great group of people at that time.