X1 first compact approved by Getty

h00ligan

Guest badbob
I get approached about mine in NYC often as well... usually by creepy guys, not snobs.

The creepy guys are the most interesting people in town. Just don't take any of their drugs or drink the punch when you go to the parties.

• Like 1

The creepy guys are the most interesting people in town. Just don't take any of their drugs or drink the punch when you go to the parties.

Yeah, I think I'd rather be approached by creep-jobs than snobs... at least they are interesting.

Oh, ok - well while some will say that Getty approval is not a good thing, or that it's irrelevant, it certainly backs up the iq claim.

...I have always assumed (not unreasonably) that the resultant image was the sole objective measure through which these things were judged. For me, the brands of oils, brushes or canvases employed by my favourite painter are irrelevant. Ditto the equipment used by my favourite photographer. It is all about the final image - the tool(s) will always remain the conduit through which the real art emerges.

Therefore, camera manufacturer IQ claim(s) notwithstanding, I am at a total loss as to why any credence is being given to Getty's "approval" of camera X, Y or Z. I note that Getty sensibly admit that the list *not* exhaustive, so what exactly is the point of the list? It has very little to do with photography per se, and a lot more to do with making pennies. And before anyone asks - no, the two are not the same.

Personally, I would be much happier viewing powerful, critically-acclaimed, award-winning images shot with Leica equipment (incidentally, they are becoming rarer). Enough of the nonsense.

• Like 1

Guest badbob

To me the X1 makes the most sense as a Getty approval. A small, unobtrusive, quiet, yet high quality camera that's less likely to disturb their other customers at Getty functions.

Will be interesting to see if the nex gets to the list, meanwhile, the exclusion of mft is obvious?

while I don't know the criteria Getty uses to approve a camera or not, I don't think so. If sensor size is one then the Ricoh and Samsung would have to be on the list too.

while I don't know the criteria Getty uses to approve a camera or not, I don't think so. If sensor size is one then the Ricoh and Samsung would have to be on the list too.

Who does this approval for the list, anyone knows? I heard from a friend when someone sends in an image and it gets accepted, that camera goes on the list?

The list is only relevant if you are an accepted Getty contributor. Getty does it´s own camera testing for their commercial purposes and will only accept images if you work with a camera from the list.

Most accepted photographers will have one from the list, so this is not much of an issue.

Images will of course undergo individual editing for noise, artifacts, overfiltering, sensor spots and other aspects of image quality as well as copyright and general image composition. You send them a submission and they pick what they like.

The X1 is an interesting option, I will take a closer look at the camera on Photokina. The images will still have to be upsized to about 18MP, but if that works with the other cameras it shouldn´t be problem for the X1.