DAG Camera repair

LDHaber

• 1 year later...

Interesting to read this thread after searching for delays concerning DAG camera service. Communication was fine before I sent my camera then nothing since. The repair quote called out 4 weeks...it’s going on 7 weeks now with no response to emails and I didn’t send emails until the 6 week point. I should have checked on the reality for his turnaround time, wasted 7 weeks now. Don’t care if the repair is good if a honest estimate regarding repair time isn’t provided or a response that it may take longer.

Edited by JSFCHRIS

1 hour ago, JSFCHRIS said:

Interesting to read this thread after searching for delays concerning DAG camera service. Communication was fine before I sent my camera then nothing since. The repair quote called out 4 weeks...it’s going on 7 weeks now with no response to emails and I didn’t send emails until the 6 week point. I should have checked on the reality for his turnaround time, wasted 7 weeks now. Don’t care if the repair is good if a honest estimate regarding repair time isn’t provided or a response that it may take longer.

Eleven year old thread, with many positive comments about Don in the forum over that period. I call him before any service to determine repair ability, cost estimate and turnaround time.  Always a cordial interaction, and he has always met or exceeded expectations.  I would simply call him, not email.

Jeff

• 3 months later...

I called Don last week to enquire about a broken M6 I sent him 2 weeks prior. We spent more than 30 minutes chatting on the phone about our respective experiences living in Germany. Nice guy but just very busy. The expected turn-around time for my repair is expected to be 5 weeks so I should get it back in 3 more weeks or so.

4 hours ago, egrossman said:

We spent more than 30 minutes chatting on the phone about our respective experiences living in Germany. Nice guy but just very busy.

If he's that busy, maybe he should consider not chatting to every customer for half an hour.

3 hours ago, andybarton said:

If he's that busy, maybe he should consider not chatting to every customer for half an hour.

Hello Andy,

I am always busy. I am never done with my work. I have time for people's questions & I encourage even more questions. And I even have time for the Leica Forum, on occasion, as do some other people.

A person's interrelationship with the people & the World around everybody is part of doing things.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 2

Gee, because of all the good words about DAG and Don, I have a 90mm Summicron lens that works like new again.  Before I bought it 50 or 60 years ago, someone dropped it and damaged the mount.  A camera technician in Michigan was going to fix it for me, but I never got around to it - it worked fine on my M3, so I was happy.

Then I got my M8.2 and while the lens started to fit onto the camera, it didn't go all the way.  I had no idea what to do with it, other than put it back in my drawer thinking some day I would find a suitable technician.  That led me to contacting Don, which led to discussions, which led to my sending him photos of the damage, which led to him fixing the lens for MUCH less than I expected it would cost.  I felt guilty, so I packed up a lot of my old Leica gear, including a "frozen" M3 and sent it all to him as a present.  I had no need for any of it, and didn't see the point in selling it when I could do something nice for Don, as a "thank you".  I've still got my photo of all the bits and pieces I sent him.  I kept the leather case, the camera strap, and the screw-mount adapter, but I've never yet used them for anything.

I don't doubt that he is very busy, and is doing what he enjoys doing.  I felt good about doing something nice for him, and by the way, the 90mm now works perfectly on both my M8.2 and my M10.  It went from being a paperweight to being something very useful for me.

It's been a year now.  I just sent him another thank-you note.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, I sent Don an email recently asking a question about the serviceability of the shutter brake on DS M3s because I'd read on this forum that they are unrepairable as no parts remain. I received a very odd, seemingly sarcastic response.  Maybe he was having a bad day and was tired of receiving what he considers 'dumb' questions, but it seemed unprofessional and I have to say it was a real turn-off.  

58 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

I think. you should take it as a compliment that he chose to write you describing what he was thinking.  Yeah, better not to share it out in the open, but I think you should be smiling, not frowning!

It's possible that I took it the wrong way. Given his excellent reputation I should probably give him the benefit of the doubt.  

I’ve just been in contact with him for the first time ever now I’m in the US  (after many forum recommendations) and sent him a new (to me) chrome 90 MEM that’s badly mis-focussing to sort before sending a 50 Lux ASPH with a dickey aperture ring.
All email replies rapid and to the point. I know from UK workshops that dealing with emails can be a bind/delay actual work if there’s only limited backoffice help.