Leica X1 Photos

davidhunternyc

Yesterday afternoon, San Francisco, X1 - 1/8sec - 16 - iso100

Regards,

Ralf

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Posted this shot in the main People forum...but here's one for the X1 photo forum.

Comments?

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

my Jenny:)

• Like 5

I know that this has been said many times before but the photos above really look like film, not digital. There is an analog, smooth quality to them that is just beautiful. You can also really feel the different textures in the clothing and the fuzziness of the purple hat. The floor feels hard. The cardboard feels like cardboard and the pens feel like plastic. I want to dust those cheeks with sugar too and eat them for dessert. : )

Edited by davidhunternyc
  • Like 4

A day at Seneca Lake in upstate NY.

F5.6, auto everything else.

• Like 3

This was shot at a fish farm a little off the coast of Singapore. The traditional name in the colloquial language for such a place is "Kelong".

Edited by phancj
  • Like 10

Hey Harry,

Your photos with the X1 are superb, sharpness, tonality, colors, everything is spot on and perfect.

As for the perceived "shutter lag" here are my thoughts with the X1:

- The AF though a tad slow is superbly accurate, I find its AF much better than even my Nikon D300 coz the % of perfectly sharply focused shots are actually HIGHER with the X1, so i guess what is loses in speed it gains in accuracy;

- The X1 is not really like a P&S in the sense that you just press the trigger, it is a more "considered" photographic method not unlike the Ms which I tried but do not own (I think I need AF:)). Though not a rangefinder, the operation of the X1 requires one to really think and compose before shooting. Therefore it is not a lightning fast DSLR so may not be suitable for action/sports, but to me even the M is not really for that. These are cameras which are for that leisurely shots with the best IQ around, and the X1 being the tiniest of the large sensors is kind of that crop.

You are coming from an M user, and me being a DSLR user if anything I should be more bothered with the relatively slow speed of the X1 since Nikon 3D predictively active matrix blah blah is lightning fast and all but I am not impressed with the IQ. But I love the pictures I get from this little gem, and I like those pictures you took, as I think you do too.

At the end of the day, one needs to examine what one wants in a camera but in your case,

I suspect you are not used to the X1 yet, with so many years with the Ms you probably have some fixation with it. Don't.

Compare the two cams based on their sole merits, and spend a little more time with your X1. I think you won't be disappointed. I have never enjoyed a camera as much as with the X1, it's the smallest and best camera I have had, and I do not miss any of my other cameras at all(I use them for macro only). I still believe it's the best travel camera BAR NONE, except for shooting of birds.

:)CJ

• Like 1

Another panned shot attempt, this time f16 at 1/30 sec, ISO 100.

Personally, i like the other one posted earlier better because of the light and overall

composition. Well, hard to predict composition with those panned shots anyway :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

Ralf

• Like 7

Another panned shot attempt, this time f16 at 1/30 sec, ISO 100.

Personally, i like the other one posted earlier better because of the light and overall

composition. Well, hard to predict composition with those panned shots anyway :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

Ralf

Hey Ralf,

looking at the picture and comparing with the one earlier I like this much better, it has more sense of motion and I like the tilted shot gives a sense of being there.

I havent tried any panned shots, ought to try seeing your shot so nice!:D

• Like 1

Taken at midnight in a 24-hour fruit stall in Singapore.

This is dedicated to Richard, who missed the durians whilst holidaying and taking great photos in Bangkok, another great city for durians!

So enjoy, Richard!

Cheers,

CJ:D

Edited by phancj
  • Like 5

Hey Ralf,

looking at the picture and comparing with the one earlier I like this much better, it has more sense of motion and I like the tilted shot gives a sense of being there.

I havent tried any panned shots, ought to try seeing your shot so nice!:D

Hi CJ,

I was experimenting with the new View Finder i got for the X1. It works quite well, i took

a total of five shots to get this one and the other one. I really like this little camera, its

so much fun to go out with it and start shooting.

Cheers,

Ralf

Hi CJ,

I was experimenting with the new View Finder i got for the X1. It works quite well, i took

a total of five shots to get this one and the other one. I really like this little camera, its

so much fun to go out with it and start shooting.

Cheers,

Ralf

Hey Ralf,

I thoroughly enjoyed this camera too, since Feb when it started shipping to Asia.

I do not use the VF, for me the LCD is just fine. But I know for so many others the VF seems indispensable.

I look forward to more great shots posted by you. You might want to post on the main forum threads too, coz there you get more comments & critique which in my case has been valuable in helping me improve and harness this little gem more.

happy Shooting, and welcome to this great community!!

Cheers,

CJ

Hi Everyone!

This is my very first post here. Bought the X1 in August. I would like to contribute my share of some images taken with this wonderful camera.

• Like 4

Hey Ralf,

I thoroughly enjoyed this camera too, since Feb when it started shipping to Asia.

I do not use the VF, for me the LCD is just fine. But I know for so many others the VF seems indispensable.

I look forward to more great shots posted by you. You might want to post on the main forum threads too, coz there you get more comments & critique which in my case has been valuable in helping me improve and harness this little gem more.

happy Shooting, and welcome to this great community!!

Cheers,

CJ

Hi CJ,

Thanks for the kind words. I must admit i don't use the VF that often. It comes with certain

usability issues also. For example, you can't really switch off the display completely since then you don't see the exposure value reading (i use aperture priority primarily) for a subject.

Of course with enough light that is not an issue. I also set AF to use the middle AF point, then focus on the subject and recompose. Works ok in most cases.

Anyway, i probably wouldn't buy it again.

Cheers,

Ralf