Leica X1 Photos

davidhunternyc

More learning how to use the camera today, with some flower shots inspired by some great shots in the Vario thread.

1/320, F/2.8, ISO 100, Lightroom.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Calum7
  • Like 3

Calum, welcome to the forum and X1 ownership. It is good to read of your decision to start with an X1 camera, a class leader in its day. I have owned one since it was launched and still use it nowadays. Your flower picture shows how versatile a camera it is. I wish you many happy shooting sessions with yours.

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

Hi,

I've got my X1 back. Now I want to share, and make, images. These are called "currants", black and red and white. We call them "Johannisbeeren".

Black:

• Like 1

Red:

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

White:

• Like 2

...and red again:

...and black&white:

• Like 1

Calum, welcome to the forum and X1 ownership. It is good to read of your decision to start with an X1 camera, a class leader in its day. I have owned one since it was launched and still use it nowadays. Your flower picture shows how versatile a camera it is. I wish you many happy shooting sessions with yours.

Many thanks David, I really love learning how to use the camera and I really like the images I am getting from it. I've seen some stunning shots from the camera from other users, which is the main reason I went for the X1. The camera has a great following still!

• Like 1

Going for some mono shots today...

• Like 10

Becoming overcast this evening.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well, it's 2018 and I just purchased the third X1 I've ever owned. There's no rig I've had that challenges and rewards like this one. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

• Like 7

2012 I got my first X1.
I was young and ski guiding from a boat in Norway. I left my backpack on the shore to help my guests get a shore. Waves picked up and tide rose, and before I knew it water had gotten to my back. I had a Sigma DP2 at the time, which got soaked. The guests collected money for me, so I could buy a new camera...and I could finally get my first Leica. During the summer I had the X1 with me on Ushba, a difficult peak in the Georgian Caucasus. During the rescue of a young climber I lost the X1. We had to lift him into a Mil-Mi 8 and all jump aboard. The X1 stayed behind.
A year later, in August 2013, an Armenian climber found the camera and brought the SD card down. I picked the card up two weeks ago in Tbilisi and found this image.

L1063010-Bearbeitet_o.jpg

I bought another X1 after this, which I still use.
A few month after this I was in Georgia again, and had an M7 and the X1. On short-notice I had the opportunity to go to Armenia to do a photo project about refugees from the Karabakh War with the UNHCR. Bought some Kentmere film (at the time all there was available in Tbilisi, now they have Kodak and Ilford) and, well, the only digital was the X1. OK. Turned out well.

L1050623-Edit-2_o.jpg

They are fantastic, underappreciated cameras. There are more stories of images produced by the combination Leica X1 and Contax T3.

Edited by Peter_S
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Peter, that is a wonderful story of your working life with the assitance of your trusted cameras. Well done! Sadly Leica seem to have forgotten the appeal of a high quality simple digital camera which is fairly pocketable and more likely to be availaible when needed . I wish Leica would read your account of life in a story-telling role with an X1.

Thank you, David. Now we have to turn to Fuji and Sigma to have cameras that are small, have high IQ, and are (largely) built in the country where the company sits.
My father uses a Fuji 100something, and I have to applaud Fuji for updating their small-camera line sensibly, without major changes to the original concept, with frequent firmware updates for the older models (and why Leica had AA-filters in the X1 and X2 was beyond me).

Edited by Peter_S
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Strong photos and strong story Peter, thanks for sharing.

I still use the X1 I bought in december 2010 for my short hiking due to size and weight. I keep under my wind jacket. Unfortunately there is some dust on sensor now... 😞

robert

Edited by robert blu

A few days ago my wife were on the motorway, weather was better than a few days before but still...not good yet.

When traveling (and driving) it happens I see something interesting and ask my wife to take a photo under my direction (safety first!).

Sometimes she manages to make it as I desire 😀

The small 8 years old X1 is a good companion when photography is not the main reason for  the trip!

Edited by robert blu
  • Like 5

On 10/1/2018 at 10:26 AM, Peter_S said:

2012 I got my first X1.
I was young and ski guiding from a boat in Norway. I left my backpack on the shore to help my guests get a shore. Waves picked up and tide rose, and before I knew it water had gotten to my back. I had a Sigma DP2 at the time, which got soaked. The guests collected money for me, so I could buy a new camera...and I could finally get my first Leica. During the summer I had the X1 with me on Ushba, a difficult peak in the Georgian Caucasus. During the rescue of a young climber I lost the X1. We had to lift him into a Mil-Mi 8 and all jump aboard. The X1 stayed behind.
A year later, in August 2013, an Armenian climber found the camera and brought the SD card down. I picked the card up two weeks ago in Tbilisi and found this image.

L1063010-Bearbeitet_o.jpg

I bought another X1 after this, which I still use.
A few month after this I was in Georgia again, and had an M7 and the X1. On short-notice I had the opportunity to go to Armenia to do a photo project about refugees from the Karabakh War with the UNHCR. Bought some Kentmere film (at the time all there was available in Tbilisi, now they have Kodak and Ilford) and, well, the only digital was the X1. OK. Turned out well.

L1050623-Edit-2_o.jpg

They are fantastic, underappreciated cameras. There are more stories of images produced by the combination Leica X1 and Contax T3.

I love this post - such great stories brought to life by your camera and experiences.

Do you generally shoot black and white with the X1?