need some R4 info

bob w

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HI ALL im new to both this site and to taking pictures with that said i have recently got hold of my dads R3 R4 AND A SL OR SR i need the manual for the r4 is there a website i could look at one also with the cameras were the negatives of the pictures he took with these cameras i bought a epson 4490 scanner and a photo r380 printer knowing these are not on the pro level i cant wait to see these negatives also was told these cameras were not pro level i cant wait to learn how to use these a big differance from the canon powershot s80 were just learning to use also THANKS FOR THE LONG READ AND ANY HELP ANYONE CAN OFFER THANKS bob

Hi Bob,

Whoever told you that the R4 and other Leica cameras were not pro-level is a complete idiot. I used Nikon F3 with Nikkor lenses until I saw a slide show using Leica cameras and lenses. I saw a quality and sharpness on the screen that I was unable to get with my pro-level Nikkors (even when using my Leica projector). That's why I changed tio Leica in 1984.

Although there were reliability issues with the R4 (especially the R4 MOT), the lenses are the best in the world. Nevertheless, even Leica lenses can suffer from 'optical thrombosis' (i.e. a 'clot' behind the lens) and so Leicas can take the world's best pictures - or the worst! The point is, you can't get better lenses and a properly functioning R4 (et al) body will allow you to exploit the lenses capabilities to the full.

In your hands you have a magnificent photographic tool - it will be up to you to learn use it to its full potential.

We at the forum look forward to your future posts. Do your dad proud!

with best wishes,

Ian

THANK YOU IAN for the input and your time i think it is awesome to use the cameras my dad loved so much we will do our best at it i plan on posting some of our trys as well as some of my dads work THANKS AGAIN bob