Sign in to follow this  
Mark_L

M8 doubts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Umm... wouldn't the hot pixels be mapped out by the standard black frame that the camera produces at long exposures?

I don't think that this is true for the raw file. That's why the surface profile shows a large variation in signal intensity between the different pixels while the (corrected) jpg image is a uniform black frame. The correction is basically subtracting a dark frame of the same exposure time as the image frame which happens to be a dark frame in my test.

Bert,

Presuming that the Y-axis is luminance, the surface profile plot appears to show much higher average values of luminance than I'd expect to see. For example there seem to be a lot of values approaching 100 or so, which is clearly not 'black' in luminance terms. Is there a positive bias value included perhaps?

Pete.

Pete - The signal level of each pixel is shown in the y-axis, since the DNG conversion was 8 bits per channel, the levels range from 0 - 255. The average value looks normal to me since there is always signal due to dark current in a sensor (charge that is thermally generated in the silicon and subsequently captured in each pixel). There is also leakage current in the sensor that also contribute to the dark signal.

Pete - The signal level of each pixel is shown in the y-axis, since the DNG conversion was 8 bits per channel, the levels range from 0 - 255. The average value looks normal to me since there is always signal due to dark current in a sensor (charge that is thermally generated in the silicon and subsequently captured in each pixel). There is also leakage current in the sensor that also contribute to the dark signal.

Thanks for the explanation, Bert. I idly thought that since it is a black screen the values would approach zero so it didn't look right.

Pete.

I'd reconsider the 35 Summarit choice, as a new lens is about the price range of nice second hand 35 Cron or (if you like the look) a pre ASPH 35 Summilux.

Even a second hand 35 Summarit is not much cheaper and I would really consider other manufacturers, when looking for sole budged - the nice little CV 35 f2.5 pancake comes to mind with prices of around 200,- EUR used!

Or even a new CV 35 f1.4 MC, which fairs in at around 400 − 440,- EUR with the slight soft look of the older Summilux.

May the Summarit lens range be good as it is - price wise it does not compete, only, when it comes to the "it must be a Leica, it must be new and it must be affordable" credo.

I considered a second hand 50 Summarit, while my 50 Lux is in Solms as a stop gap lens, it does do nice pictures, is sharp, compact and light, is coded for convenience, … it does still cost more than 500,- EUR though and say what you want - the sample I tried was feeling not as my other Leica lenses.

It was smooth, yes, but at the same time felt slightly rough - hard, to pack in words.

I don't think that this is true for the raw file. That's why the surface profile shows a large variation in signal intensity between the different pixels while the (corrected) jpg image is a uniform black frame. The correction is basically subtracting a dark frame of the same exposure time as the image frame which happens to be a dark frame in my test.

No - the M8/ M9 takes a second "black" exposure to cancel out the hot pixels prior to the writing of the RAW on long exposures.

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No - the M8/ M9 takes a second "black" exposure to cancel out the hot pixels prior to the writing of the RAW on long exposures.

Where is this documented? I see a big difference between the jpg image and the raw frame. Below is a pixel level view of the raw image and a surface profile plot of the jpg image. There is a huge difference between the 2 files. Sorry Mark, for hijacking your thread, I won't say anymore on this subject...

You don't need to document it - shoot DNG only and you will see that it is noisefree... You can see the change happening on your LCD too.

Get a 40mm Summicron C - you can pick one up for about £250 and it's a great little lens - also it makes the most compact M8 you can get, which is reason enough to own one!

Just bought a superb used M8 only 2 days ago. Already absolutely in love with it.

I thought it it be a steep learning curve to switch from an 'ordinary' SLR, but it is the best switch I ever made!!

I know it's early days but I would really really recommend getting a well cared for used M8.

If you go for new, you'd better save up and get the M9.

For me the M8 is my camera for life!

Get a 40mm Summicron C - you can pick one up for about £250 and it's a great little lens - also it makes the most compact M8 you can get, which is reason enough to own one!

Yes, but the framelines are just too damn inaccurate...unless you're a serial cropper.

Hi,

I have ordered an M8, a new one, and would go this afternoon to fetch it. The price for a new one is 3000 Euro. After registration I'll have 3 years warranty, two free filters and of course the complete package.

I like and dislike this forum; you get so confused by it. There seem to be so many issues with the M8 apart from the known issues with the UV and IR. It makes me doubt, 3000 Euro for the body is still a lot of money.

Is it still a sensible thing to buy an M8 today?

Please hit me with confirmation.

I purchased a "new" M8.2 weeks ago, close to the 3,000 EUR you quote. One of the happiest days I have had in years. Filters have arrived, camera is flawless and the Billingham case protects it in transit and other lens/flash. M8/28mm spends most of the time over my neck or shoulder. Had a chance to shot hundreds of photos of old classmates over the weekend (Class of 1965), very happy with results even the interiior dance photos with SF-24d - does a nice natural TTL job.

Glad you are happy too!!!!

Yes, but the framelines are just too damn inaccurate...unless you're a serial cropper.
Or gain the experience to judge the focussing shift they have....

I've not found it a problem - you quickly learn how far from the displayed framelines the actual image is. It's not ideal but certainly a nice little lens for the money - don't be put off!

Or gain the experience to judge the focussing shift they have....

Yes, we all do that... but the original M8 is just stupidly inaccurate even on lenses that are matched to its framelines. The M8.2 is so much easier to deal with since it has only normal rangefinder inaccuracy.

Edited by jsrockit

Yes, we all do that... but the original M8 is just stupidly inaccurate even on lenses that are matched to its framelines. The M8.2 is so much easier to deal with since it has only normal rangefinder inaccuracy.

I actually don't have any issues with the M8 focus or framing accuracy, at least for now...

Are you saying the M8 framelines are inaccurate, or that the M8 rangefinder is inaccurate?