M8 doubts

Mark_L

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you, I'll keep the 35 mm in mind. Just a question already, I was formatting an SD HC card on my M8 to then update the firmware to 2.005. It does not work, when selecting yes on the question Do you want to format the SD-card, the red light keeps blinking and I can't get out of it? Any idea?

Hi Mark.

It sounds as though your M8 has quite an early firmware version at present. (Probably 1. something.)

Do you have a non-SDHC card? You'll need to use a standard SD card (Most cards up to 2GB are standard SD.) to load the firmware in this case. Most of us tend to keep at least one small card especially for firmware updates. Although once you've upgraded to a recent version this isn't meant to be necessary anymore.

.....Unless you have a specific need for a 50mm lens, you may well find that the 35mm Summarit (Or other 35mm) is a better match for a first lens with an M8....

I second this. I have a 35mm Summarit, and on the M8, it is very close to a "normal" focal length, almost exactly equivalent to a 50mm on a film camera or FF digital. Of course, I can also use it as a wide angle on my M6 as well. Plus, it's probably one of the most affordable 35mm lenses in the Leica family.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a 4GB SD HC integral Ultima Pro, I use it without problem on my D-Lux 4.

Hi. The problem is, if your M8 has an early firmware version, it can't recognise SDHC cards. Once you've updated the firmware to the current. (Or a recent.) version, it will work with SDHC cards, but you'll need a small SD card for the first update. If your M8 had been in the shop for some time, it's quite possible that it will have an early firmware. When I bought my M8 last year, it had the 1.201 version when purchased.

• Like 1

On the lens size, I support the above conclusions, with a few adjustments:

typical film lens with the M series was always a 35 mm, and thus I chose the 28 to go with the M8. It is my standard go-to lens.

Have fallen in love with the 50 'cron on the M8. The modest tele range (like a 65) is something new, and the short DOF with f 2, small size, and rendition is quite nice.

Not recommended for a first or only lens, rather a lovely second lens.

Thank you for all the information: choice will probably fall on the 35 mm Summarit, 2.5 perhaps 2.0:

this is because lower than 35 gets more expensive

50 mm lens is not really fit for head shoulder portraits, but I will then compare it with the 75 mm after the experience of shooting with a 35 mm, see if I need the 'small' increase.

later on, when I don't suffer anymore from being only body and no lens, I'll save up for the wide angle 21 or 24 mm for landscape or perhaps a Voigtlander for landscape. Thanks for all the replies.

Mark, congratulations! Regarding the ensuing lens choice debate, think as clearly as possible what you most want to shoot with your M8. You mention portraits in which case do consider the 75mm Summarit which has several enthusiastic owners represented on the forum. It is much more affordable than the 75mm Summicron but is a very fine performer.

If you can settle your mind on the 75mm lens, which should come second in your purchase queue, next consider which of the 28, 35 or 50 lenses make the ideal pair. I would narrow it down to a 35 or 28, the best you can afford of either one. Remember that the 28 is equivalent to about 37mm and the 35 equates to 47mm, quite near to a 50mm on film. If you settle on the 35mm, try and buy a current new/mint used Summicron because it will make your camera really useful in low-light situations. It is a highly popular lens.

Thank you David,

your advice reflects the direction I was thinking of and I might just skip the 50 mm. I think I shall have everything I need with a 75 and a 28 mm. I don’t want more than two lenses, to limit the choices when taking pictures. A 75 and a 28 have distinctive purposes, so it makes the correct choice easy. I am just in doubt of the aperture. I like low apertures but these are more expensive. I might take your advice and go for a Summicron (I am used to F2.0 on my D-lux), Summilux is much to expensive and people just don’t seem to sell them, they are right of course.

But here is a question, I read somewhere that if you have a larger sensor you can have more bokeh (I always doubt that word, correctly spelled isn’t it, wonder how you pronounce it) at the same aperture than a camera with a smaller sensor. So Summarit 2.5 may have a better bokeh than the smaller sensored D-lux 4 at 2.0. Is that correct, if so, how come?

Thanks

Mark (M8 owner without a lens)

... I don’t want more than two lenses, to limit the choices when taking pictures. ...

Mark,

I hope you won't mind me gently teasing you about this aspiration in the future.:D (Many have aspired but few have succeeded owing to the narcotic effect of the Leica lens.:rolleyes:)

I hope the 75-28 combination works for you (100-37 on the M8); you may find after a while that you'd prefer a focal length in the middle to complement your selection.

Pete.

Mark,

you may find after a while that you'd prefer a focal length in the middle to complement your selection.

Pete.

Probably yes :) but I noticed that with my Leica D-Lux 4 kept at 24 mm I was much more creative than ever when I had a Nikon D40 and 3 lenses. But I am sensitive to the Leica narcotic effect, so I am very likely to spend my money on it.

3000 euro is close to USD 4000, the money needed to buy two excellent used M8s. Thus, I'd rather take my chances an buy an excellent used one for USD 2000. It might well last as long as a new one and cost 50-60% only.

Yes and no, warranty is a big deal and worth double price, even more, especially for three years.

Mark (M8 owner without a lens)

Mark - I was recently in a similar situation as yours, my M8 came in before the lenses. Depending on how picky you are about assessing the condition of the sensor, there are tests you can perform without a lens. A simple test consisting of capturing a 32 s exposure with the cap on at ISO 1250 will show whether there are hot pixels in the sensor. I was relieved to find no really 'hot' pixels in my camera (these would be pegged at 255). Below is the resulting (boring) image and a surface profile plot of the data from the raw DNG file.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Bert,

Presuming that the Y-axis is luminance, the surface profile plot appears to show much higher average values of luminance than I'd expect to see. For example there seem to be a lot of values approaching 100 or so, which is clearly not 'black' in luminance terms. Is there a positive bias value included perhaps?

Pete.