M8 doubts

Mark_L

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have ordered an M8, a new one, and would go this afternoon to fetch it. The price for a new one is 3000 Euro. After registration I'll have 3 years warranty, two free filters and of course the complete package.

I like and dislike this forum; you get so confused by it. There seem to be so many issues with the M8 apart from the known issues with the UV and IR. It makes me doubt, 3000 Euro for the body is still a lot of money.

Is it still a sensible thing to buy an M8 today?

Please hit me with confirmation.

Its a great Camera with only a minority of people experiencing problems. I bought an M8 when they came out and then an 8.2 . Not a single problem with mine.

BUT I wouldn't buy a "New" M8 now. They are not "new" anymore. I would either buy a used one from a reliable source or consider an M9.

Whilst I fully understand Keith's point of view, I would say that a three year warranty is well worth having ON ANY DIGITAL camera. Not because its likely to go wrong, but because if it does then repairs outside warranty might well be expensive. Buying a used camera from a reliable source will give up to a 12 month warranty, and the camera will be older and have had a history (which might be good or bad depending on the previous owner). It really depends on whether you think the price is worth the extra warranty/peace of mind. Its a great camera BTW.

I have to second cocker's statement about a new M8, although three years warranty is indeed tempting. But considering an M9 is about twice the price, and you DO get an UNUSED camera (even though it might be two or three years old) AND are safe that if anything should malfunction you'll have it fixed during the next three years - I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. It's a great camera. Expensive, but FUUUUN to use and outputs SUPERB files with a great latitude for processing. Add to that the possibility to use it with the best lenses in the world ... If you can spare the money, do it, and enjoy it. I'm sure you will!

Many of the discussed issues are problems of older firmware versions. I bought my M8 new last year with version 2.0.4 and have uptated to 2.0.5 now, what solved the shutter lock bug in discrete mode. I did encounter banding artifacts in 2 oder 3 of more than 2500 pictures. No problems besides this. On the good side - I have taken many great pictures with this camera. The technical quality of the images is impressive and mostly exceeds that of my 12 MPix DSLR. I is a joy to carry the light weight of my complete Leica equipment and it is a joy to use the camera.

So I hope you will have much fun with your M8.

Ulrich

Welcome to the forum and to being a new M8 owner.

There have been many times that a sizable purchase generates doubt but only cash flow second thoughts are associated to Leica purchases, not quality or usability. May seem like a lot of funds, and it is but if you use it, you will most likely come to love it. I think this is very true if you have had M experience before and have some lenses available to you. (Althought life was wonderful when I only had one lens, I never had to think about what lens to use)

I use this forum to ask questions. My 8.2 has been a blessing in my life. It has slowed down my shooting, gotten better results because of it. It draws my intuition forward into my views of life, art and composition. It also eliminated my motor drive spray and pray with endless chimping. I wait for and sense the moment, like I have and do with my M2.

One other great thing about this forum is you can exhibit some of your works. I love the thread Old Glass its nice to see older lenses mounted up on newer M digital cameras.

Enjoy the camera.

Lee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can look at it the other way around: the only reasons to buy an M9 instead of an M8 are the need for 18 megapixels and full-frame. If you are happy with 10 megapixels, and you are new to the Leica system so you aren't married to the idea that you should use the full imaging circle of the lenses, go for the M8. Otherwise, see if those two needs are worth the price difference.

I've had the M8 for two years, and I've never been happier, photographically speaking.

3000 euro is close to USD 4000, the money needed to buy two excellent used M8s. Thus, I'd rather take my chances an buy an excellent used one for USD 2000. It might well last as long as a new one and cost 50-60% only.

I ditto the last two posts. Also an updated M8 with the new shutter and framelines at least. Likely to cost much less than an M8.2 yet offer it's most significant improvements. I (personally speaking) would get a certified Leica demo in terms of a used one. Those will come with a one year warranty. If you pay $4000 for an original M8, you're paying $2000 just for the warranty.

I purchased a used M8 from a dealer earlier this year. 2000+ images later, I absolutely love it! It is the small, lightweight, high image quality camera that I have been looking for many years. The M8 image quality is second to none in the 10-12MP range. Add some of the incredible lenses available for this camera and it just keeps getting better. Just wait until you see some of the images that your new M8 will produce!

No worries about the IR cut filters, just mount them to your lenses and you'll forget about them. I also would not worry about reliability, if you get a good one out of the box, it should perform well for many years. And you have the 3 year warranty, so no risk at all.

Personally, I have zero issues about the M8's 10MP in a digicam world that now has 18-24MP sensors. I look at my images on a 30 inch monitor and see extraordinarily sharp images, when my photographic skills were up to the task. I've seen some of my images on a 50 inch HD display and they still look excellent. So for my purposes and my needs only, I will be quite happy with my M8 for many years to come. These days, I am very interested in acquiring a wider selection of lenses for my M8 than in contemplating its successor.

Best Wishes on your new M8. I think that any doubts that you may have about your purchase will be fleeting memories the first time that you review your images on a good monitor!

Rick

My thoughts:

Regardless of what you decide, a "real" warranty from the manufacturer is highly desirable.

I'd think hard about whether I needed the FF M9. I can think of only two likely reasons. First, you make your living selling photographs and the agencies require a specific MP count. Second, you won't be able to deal with the effective loss of FOV when using your current WA lenses (though there's still an argument for buying an M8 and a new, wider WA in my opinion).

I don't think the M8.2 is clearly a better camera at all. For my uses, for example, the M8 framelines are significantly better. The only consideration is whether the 1/4k shutter in the M8.2 is more reliable. I've been reading posts here since the M8 was introduced and I haven't come to that conclusion. Many of the shutter-related M8 glitches appear to have causes other than the actual shutter mechanism.

The untouched M8 also offers 1/8000s, whereas the M8.u and M8.2 have "upgraded" shutters. Quieter maybe, but the max speed drops to 1/4000s. Something to think about if you like fast glass - and shooting it at/near wide open.

Something to keep in mind... The M8 might be "old news" these days, but it still takes fantastic pictures. Always has. Depending on your output needs, 10.3MP isn't bad at all. You're good for 8x10" prints as-is and can easily do 11x14" with scaling. Of course, for Web-sized stuff, a 3MP camera would do. ;)

Well, I just went to the store, took me a major traffic jam, but now I am the proud owner of an M8. It will have to stay in the box until I gathered enough for my first lens. That will be the Summarit 2.5 50mm for a good start. I am happy with the M8, I've seen many pictures that are great, so the camera will not be the limiting factor. It can only be me. I took all your comments in mind, the 1/8000 is an important one, when there is very bright sun and still I want to take pictures at aperture 2.5 the 1/8000 may be just what I need. Apart from that I see in fact no other benefits with the M8.2, at least I will not get used to them, so it should not be a problem. Oh I wish I would have the lens today as well but I need to spend my money wisely over time. Then I will post those pictures that make me happy. Thanks again for the comments. By the way, I still have the D-Lux 4 which makes me happy as well.

Hi. Congratulations on getting your M8. I too know the exquisite torture of having to wait for a lens to adorn it.

Might I make one suggestion though? Unless you have a specific need for a 50mm lens, you may well find that the 35mm Summarit (Or other 35mm) is a better match for a first lens with an M8. This is almost the equivalent of a 50mm on a film of full-frame digital camera due to the 'crop factor'. You might find a 50mm is a little long for general use. (The 50mm Summarit is a beautiful lens too though.) :)