To Sell or Not to Sell, That is the Question

wilfredo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am buying all of the Ms I can get my hands on. I have no idea if they will be valuable or not down the line, but they are valuable to ME, and that is all that matters. Plus, they are available at great prices now. This is where great collections come from - passion, not calculation.

Regards,

Ira

Jarle,

You will get many suggestions for film here. To start off you may want to go with Fuji Provia which is a color slide film that scans really well, and desaturates very well for B&W work. It also gives you very nice skin tones. It's a great general purpose film.

I'm still holding on to my M7 if anyone is wondering :-)

Cheers,

Wilfredo+

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jarle,

You will get many suggestions for film here. To start off you may want to go with Fuji Provia which is a color slide film that scans really well, and desaturates very well for B&W work. It also gives you very nice skin tones. It's a great general purpose film.

Good choice! With all the talk over at the digital forum about M8s going dead within a few weeks (count' em! it's alarming), that M7 is really a reliable backup body.

And I agree with the poster who says, after the initial excitement of digital has worn off for the first time digital convert, you may find yourself hankering to shoot film again!

Jarle,

Cheers,

Wilfredo+

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Thank you, Wilfredo

Same question I ask myself.

I have a M6 (have used it for years) , a M7 (one yearold and it just has been used for 1 film) and the M8 (used a lot right now)

I did several attemps to use film again. In the end I scanned and processed only very few film images because it takes so much time, hard disk space etc.

I will keep the M6 because its a part of me, but I might sell the M7.

I dont need the money urgently, but I try to reduce gear because I think less gear is better for a free mind.

my thoughts, Tom

....I always amazed by the way those leicas are used. one film in a year....wow, even with other cams in addition. my M7 has 2 years at the end of febuary and it did more then 300 films now and I also use several mf cams.....it must be me who is weird :) .....btw, I'm just a passionated amateur

Same question I ask myself.

I have a M6 (have used it for years) , a M7 (one yearold and it just has been used for 1 film) and the M8 (used a lot right now)

I did several attemps to use film again. In the end I scanned and processed only very few film images because it takes so much time, hard disk space etc.

Tom

Tom,

a friendly post.

an interesting confession that invites questions.

The M7 is easier to use than the M6, but you didn't take advantage of it yet, when ultra-convenience comes along in the form of the M8 you do take advantage of that. Why didn't the M7 get used much more ?

If you are doing your travelling and shooting more with the M8, what difference does it make to you over film ? Surely, if you're in the Alps, as you are, the pic was worth capturing on film if it's now worth capturing digitally, or are you pressing the shutter more on the off chance the image will be worth it? Doing more 'snapping' ? I do understand that one will explore a scene more with digi and consequently shoot more frames; but more scenes?

If it was purely convenience, why didn't you buy a quality digicam before the M8 was released ? It's your M7 ownership that's puzzling me.

My thoughts are, the more an image is worth capturing, the more effort ususally needs to go into it, not less effort, but that is only from my experience and I'm not suggesting I'm right.