To Sell or Not to Sell, That is the Question

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilfredo,

I am with a few others here, if you can fund the M8 without selling the M7, keep it. If you need the money urgently later on, then an M7 in the condition of yours will sell quickly.

I believe an M8 is not a direct replacement for any of the film M cameras anyhow, its not full frame etc etc. so the M7 still has its place.

I have an upcomming project in mind and I will "need" a 15mm lens and if I only had an M8 I'd have to go even wider with an M8 so a film M still has its place I think if for no other reason than sensor size!

Tim

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wilfredo:

Well I bought an M8 also. An early one to boot (i.e. with all the banding, ghosting etc...) I love the camera, but the shutter release just does not have the same feel of mechanical perfection as my M6, not to mention my M3, 3F or 3G. I can't imagine getting away with taking pictures in the Sistine Chapel with the M8, as I did with the M6 at my hip, without incurring the wrath of all the guards. Not with that loud and long shutter release...

I am keeping all my early Leicas, and Contax's, and Nikons, Rollei ... Cameras today are just not the same, not even the M8, but its close.

Pick up an M3 on eBay if you don't already have one. You'll love it...

Alan

Thomas,

To answer your question, I am interested in the Canon 5D for some of the shooting that I do, but that will have to wait now, I've maxed out my spending limit for a good while :-) and I don't want to go into debt. I would like the 5D to replace my 20D in time. Having said that, the thought doesn't excite me nearly as much as using the Leica. I used my 20D the other day with the 24-105mm L lens and it felt so big all of a sudden after playing with the M8 for a few days in a row. I have to admit that the M cameras have a charm of their own, they are discreet, lite, and just simply cool! I never really imagined I would own two M cameras, but it's happened. Like Mark, who has regretted it every time he has sold one of his M cameras, If I sell my M7, I know I'll regret it later, it is a beautiful camera and if I would try to replace it later I would have to spend big bucks on a new one because my current M7 is virtually brand new (only a year old, and it is the latest verison of the M7). Another one of my favorite photographers is Sebastiao Salgado, whose done a lot of his more recent work with the M7. His book on refugee children titled: "The Children" is one of my favorites. Here's another M7 shot taken last Summer I enjoy very much.

Cheers,

Wilfredo+

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thomas,

Although I've only been a Leica user for just over a year now, I've been an amateur photographer for over twenty years and have bought and sold a lot of gear in this time. There are several cameras that I really regret selling over the years, but no cameras have made me smile in the way the film M's have and I know I would come to deeply regret not keeping a film M-series around.

I think that photography, like any creative endeavour, is subject to tides and shifts in one's feelings over time, and while the M8 looks to be a superb camera worthy of a lot of attention and use, you never know when you'll hanker after the look, feel and process of shooting with film again, for a change.

My advice would be, if at all possible, hang onto your M7...

All the best,

Dan

Wilfredo, it does seem as though you had made up your mind already prior to posting. I suggest you do what you think is right; if you are not using your m7 and you are not a collector --- a haver for the sake of the having --- then sell it and use the money to show your love for something else. If you need the money, then sell it. If you don't need the money, consider the following thoughts. If you do use the m7, use it and be thankful you can afford to own 2 exceptional cameras. I think the key for you to determine is whether or not you will use your m8 and m7 for different purposes. If so, then by that fact you should keep the m7. If you answer 'no', and you are not a 'haver for its own sake', then I would sell it. Seriously, if you are not going to use film very much, then you could always purchase an old M or a barnack leica like James or I use and still get satisfying results every odd moment you shoot film.

Good cheer Wilfredo!

Excellent idea Thomas! I'd always recommend a Barnack Leica but the idea of an older M2/3 would net you some cash and still offer the film alternative with your M lenses when you need it.

As someone else has also pointed out, the film camera will give you the full effect of any wideangle lenses you have, which is an important point to remember.

One point, cameras need to be used - if you do keep the M7 use it or at the very least 'dry run' it once a month.

Guest flatfour

I'm going to have to confront a similar decision in due course with my M6 and R4s. The R4s takes superb pictures and is small and handy. the M6 is so close to the M8 I think I would not use it much so that is more likely to go than the R4 s. BUT don't sell till you are absolutely certain.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

....one of my favorite photographers is Sebastiao Salgado, whose done a lot of his more recent work with the M7. His book on refugee children titled: "The Children" is one of my favorites. Here's another M7 shot taken last Summer......

Wilfredo:>

1. I appreciate his work and the intention behind it, too.

2. I enjoy that m7 shot of yours. Is it a trap floor or roof? An interesting image where the lighting both reveals and conceals in subtle ways.

~based on that shot and the one of the kids by the wharf, don't lose the m7 :) thomas.

Thomas,

I know I'll regret it later, it is a beautiful camera and if I would try to replace it later I would have to spend big bucks on a new one because my current M7 is virtually brand new (only a year old, and it is the latest verison of the M7).

+

Great image Wilfredo. Best of yours I've seen. The M8 should produce even more of these for you.

The M7 is stil a substantial investment and well on the way to providing funds for a second M8. You can have one for colour and one for B&W. :-)

I think I've made my peace with this, the M7 stays. Thank you all for all your thoughtful comments.

Thomas,

The shot you ask about is a glass floor. I took this shot last Summer at the underground Apple Computer Store on 5th Ave. in New York. A friend was trying to convince me to buy a MAC but I'm happy with the PC I have, there is no need to make new investments in that regard :-)

Cheers,

Wilfredo+

Give to you sometimes!

You just start with Digital right?

If it is, you'll see digital is far to be the best solution everytime.

Digital can be real pain when traveling, in my last trip to Cachemire I had a electrical problem, by chance I had my M6 with me I use it every day.;)

And you will see after severall years of Digital shooting, that is really not a perfect world, and you will be glad to kept your M7.

Have a good one!

....I sold all my digital gear a couple of years ago to do some real photography and got an M7 with just one lens. Even the M8 wont take its place. The M8 is still just a digital tool and all I've seen till now, not only on computer screens, does not come close to a well done darkroom print.....This is of course my very personal sight and I wish Leica much much luck with this cam and much much fun to you guys who seem to love this cam :)

What're you talking about wilfredo, I still have my Nikon F3HP that I bought or rather my parents bought me. But that that's up to you if RGB is in your taste, I'm sure a lot will want to buy your M7. I have an M6 and M7 plus five other film cameras. But I admit that my most snaps are from my Pany LX1 and D2 but only in color. B&W, sorry but I'm a purist. Over-all both color and B&W "I want my grains". But it's a matter of taste. I can afford an M8 if I want one. But I'll wait for the full frame. But I can never tell if the price is right.

-Ron

You got it, Ron, ditto the Pana LX1 or D200. I've had some very successful B&W conversions from both digital cameras but I prefer my M4. However, lugging around a D200 w/70-200 + tele converter is starting to get to me. I'll probably bite the bullet before the year is out and get an M8. And yes, I'd probably ditch all my Nikon stuff because it's the only way I can afford an M8 as my wife keeps pretty close tabs on my photo expenditures. OTOH, even she agrees the M4 will always be in my kit!

I've had some very successful B&W conversions from both digital cameras but I prefer my M4!

Hi John,

Guess what...

As for the begining of 2007...

I bought an M3 German release "as old as I am". YES!!!

The release date was my birth year.

This M will be Kosher in Judism or Halal in Islam.

B&W and nothing else.

This disco generation M on his teens will have the first taste of my Delta 400 from the first roll of a 100 foot bulk.

I'm waiting for delivery.

Now who needs an internal meter. =)

Enjoy your M4...

-Ron

I realize I'm late chiming in here but wanted to comment because I'm in a similar situation and have made the same decision. I'm an M6 shooter and have just ordered an M8. I thought about selling my M6 and if it were any other camera I might have, but a Leica M of any sort is a valuable thing. I love my M6 and will probably continue to use it for its own unique film fingerprint that I don't think you can get anywhere else. I think we'll be able to get film and process it (somewhere) for a while at least, and even when we can't anymore I may hang on to mine for sentimental reasons. I love the idea of having my new state of the art digital M along with an all mechancial M. It just seems appropriate.

I realize I'm late chiming in here but wanted to comment because I'm in a similar situation and have made the same decision. I'm an M6 shooter and have just ordered an M8. I thought about selling my M6 and if it were any other camera I might have, but a Leica M of any sort is a valuable thing. I love my M6 and will probably continue to use it for its own unique film fingerprint that I don't think you can get anywhere else. I think we'll be able to get film and process it (somewhere) for a while at least, and even when we can't anymore I may hang on to mine for sentimental reasons. I love the idea of having my new state of the art digital M along with an all mechancial M. It just seems appropriate.

I also figure IF you are going to keep a film camera, it may as well be one of the best. No sense wasting expensive film on inferior optics. I'm keeping my Leica!

Tim

. Another one of my favorite photographers is Sebastiao Salgado, whose done a lot of his more recent work with the M7. His book on refugee children titled: "The Children" is one of my favorites. Here's another M7 shot taken last Summer I enjoy very much.

Actually there was a thread on photo.net Leica forum from someone who claimed to have met Salgado, and quoted him as saying though he helped Leica with the "hands" advertisement for the M7, he never actually used that model for his shooting.

Anyway when he was using 35mm, my understanding is that he uses his R6.2 quite a bit more and is rather fond of his R Elmarit 60mm macro lens :)

I bought an M3 German release "as old as I am". YES!!!

The release date was my birth year.

-Ron

There is something great about using a camera that is as old as you are.

My M2 came out of the factory exactly 9 months before I was born. :)

No matter what other kit I buy now, or in the future, how could I ever really consider selling it? (I did a couple of years ago, but resisted)

Wilfredo - keep taking shots like the Apple Store ans you will know why keeping the M7 is a good idea ;)

Hi Andy,

The M3 arrived today.

I'm older by 6 months with this new babe yet it looks prestine.

This is my first time to hold an M3 and look through the viewfinder and focus.

This mid 40's kicking 50's M3 smoked the viewfinder of my M6 and M7 brightline finder.

Awesome!!! I'll say, before anyone brag about his M's viewfinder, check-out the old M2 and M3.

I wear bifocals but without my glasses, it's like I had lazer eye surgery when I focus.

Sure is a forever keeper.

Enjoy your M2 Andy!

-Ron