To Sell or Not to Sell, That is the Question

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After taking the plunge and purchasing the new Leica M8 the question remained for me: "To sell or not to sell the M7?" I have only owned the M8 for one week and I have done more shooting in one week than I normally do in a month, so obviously it has already become my most used camera. So why not sell the M7? I thought I would, but I realized that to do so, would be to say goodbye to an era, that of analogue photography. It was the likes of HCB and others that first attracted me to the Leica. All their work done on film with Leicas. When I was a 15 year old kid and first became enamored with photography it was all film and I could have never imagined what the future would hold. So being the sentimentalist that I am, I'm keeping my M7 just like many of you are holding on to your MP's. This may not be a fully mechanical camera, but it is still a Leica film camera, with all the stealth. I'll continue to shoot film for all times sake from time to time and for those ocassions when I really want the film look, 100%. Can't give it up :-)

Cheers,

Wilfredo+

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What're you talking about wilfredo, I still have my Nikon F3HP that I bought or rather my parents bought me. But that that's up to you if RGB is in your taste, I'm sure a lot will want to buy your M7. I have an M6 and M7 plus five other film cameras. But I admit that my most snaps are from my Pany LX1 and D2 but only in color. B&W, sorry but I'm a purist. Over-all both color and B&W "I want my grains". But it's a matter of taste. I can afford an M8 if I want one. But I'll wait for the full frame. But I can never tell if the price is right.

-Ron

Sell it if you need some money,

if not let the beauty where she is.

Did you took some great shots with the M7,

does she work perfect?

Then it's the best time to keep her,

in some weeks, month or may be a year you'll be happy not to have her sold.

My short story:

in Dezember 2005 I thought I should buy a Nikon D2H,

the local dealer had one at a absolut perfect price so I could not resist.

I gave him a Habla Xpan with two lenses because I thought I won't use it any more.

Now, some days before christmas I was in my darkroom and printet some Xpan negativs.

Such a wonderfull work, superbe prints, I'm very satisfied with them.

But the Xpan is sold, the D2H as well.

And now?

I hate my self,

fortunately I have MP so it's not too hard :-)

Give it some time. The M8 is new to you and like all new toys you'll be playing with it at every opportunity, which is just great and long may it continue for you.

In time perhaps, you will assess what you've done with it and compare it with what you achieved with your M7. If all you've done is shoots sharp snaps with the M8 you might find your work with film was more meaningful and satisfying and the only pics on your walls came from film, but somehow I doubt it.

I suspect you'll find that the M7 doesn't get used and you'll be shooting more great pics than ever before. The M7 will become your paper weight.

My personal battle was with M8 v MF. In the end MF won and it's staying for both B&W and colour. My challenge, when my M8 is available, is to decide between M8 v (MP + M3).

«but I realized that to do so, would be to say goodbye to an era, that of analogue photography».

When some are thinking of selling, others just buy!

That's what happened to me very recently!

To say goodbye to analogue photography

is an almost unthinkable decision!

So, Wilfredo, keep well you M7! :)

José

Sell it while you can.

In few years time there will be very low demand for it. It will be like trying to sell VHS video player.

Yes! Excellent idea! Film is dead, as we all know. BTW, welcome to the Forum! Nice to have you on board.

Wilfredo - I wouldn't sell it. One thing I know from personal experience is that I tend to go overboard when shooting digital as far as quantity. I tend to limit myself to lower volume storage cards so I shoot more like I have film in the camera. I'm much more selecitve when shooting film - and tend to slow down a bit more....which isn't such a bad thing in this day and age.

I won't be selling. I posted the thread mostly to share my process thinking others might be faced with the same dilema.. If I sell my M7, I suspect I will have a similar experience to Martin's, and then there will be no M7. I've gotten some great shots with this camera and I will find some use for it, even if I mostly use the M8. In the event that I don't give it much use, it will remain a jewel of a passing era. The value of things are not always measured by $$$$$. Besides, it came with a 3 year warranty that can be extended to five :-). This camera is barely getting started. I'm keeping this baby, and using it selectively. Here's one of my favorite shots taken with the M7. © Wilfredo Benitez.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well you have already answered the question yourself.

Wilfredo, it does seem as though you had made up your mind already prior to posting. I suggest you do what you think is right; if you are not using your m7 and you are not a collector --- a haver for the sake of the having --- then sell it and use the money to show your love for something else. If you need the money, then sell it. If you don't need the money, consider the following thoughts. If you do use the m7, use it and be thankful you can afford to own 2 exceptional cameras. I think the key for you to determine is whether or not you will use your m8 and m7 for different purposes. If so, then by that fact you should keep the m7. If you answer 'no', and you are not a 'haver for its own sake', then I would sell it. Seriously, if you are not going to use film very much, then you could always purchase an old M or a barnack leica like James or I use and still get satisfying results every odd moment you shoot film.

Good cheer Wilfredo!

Thought crossed my mind. I've used my M7 for both B&W and color. The M8 will probably take over the color duty, so the MP3 will become the B&W camera with some ocassional color neg work here and there. I have one too many Ms, so something may have to go.

But every single time I've done that I've regretted it.

I have 3 film Ms, and even though I just got the M8 and used it a lot, I won't be selling any of them. I just scanned some b&w film I shot during a trip to China, and they look fabulous. Yes the M8 produces excellent b&w, but it's still not quite the same as film. M8's color has the look of slides, but portra film is still one of a kind. So I would be using the M8 more, that's for sure, but there will be times I want to shoot film. On top of all that, one click of the MP shutter is all that takes to convince me it's a keeper. Nothing feels quite like it.

John, many of us on here feel similar as far as the subtleties between processes. I like to think it's possible to exist in both worlds and shoot what one likes...sometimes film really isn't so bad.

...sometimes film really isn't so bad.

And sometimes ( and I know Dan doesn't need me to tell him! ) it's actually quite to be preferred...one reason why your M7, MP, M6TTL etc. is not going to be relegated to the wastebin at all.

As the French say, "Vive la difference!"

:)

Thanks.

Allan

Here's one of my favorite shots taken with the M7. © Wilfredo Benitez.

If a man-camera-lense combination is able to take such a foto,

you don't need anything more.

Pin it at your livingroom wall,

sit down and say God thank you very much!

My M7 + 90mm 'Cron + 135mm Tele-Elmar went to the block to finance the M8. As a back-up to the M8, I elected to buy a Bessa R2M.

Ironically, both are being repaired: the M8 in Germany for a Leica-called re-fit and the Bessa in California nedding work (under warranty) because of uneven, even overlapping, film advance. I'm camera-less at the moment, save for a Sony digital point 'n shoot.

Given the money, I would not have sold the M7 but once the M8 was announced, I sprung.

-g

Lot's of good thoughts here, good food for thought. I'll hold off on selling, which means I'll have to wait to purchase the other camera I have my eye on, but, oh well :-)

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Wait for sure until your m8 is back clicking and snapping without some of those 'difficulties' you noted in a digital thread.

btw, are you interested in another camera system Wilfredo...or just some more lenses, etc., for your m8?