get M8 whilst waiting for M9?

newtoleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Having got a 75/2 and awaiting delivery of a 35/1.4 ASPH, it seems I can't get an M9 for 3-4 months in the UK. I'm toying with the idea of getting an M8 in the interim that I can then either sell on or keep as a spare body. They seem to go for 1500-1800 UKP. As I'm new to rangefinders, it might be a good idea.

Couple of questions:

1. Apart from the slightly lower MP, 1.3 crop and the need for a UV filter, any other 'issues' compared with the M9?

2. I use a Nikon D3 at present, and I'm not expecting that sort of lack of noise from either, but at say ISO 800, would there be much difference in shadow noise between the M8 and M9? If so how many stops, and what are the M8 files like if the shadows are pushed up say 2 EV in pp?

3. Anything I should look out for in a used model? (8.2 versions seem pretty scarce....)

Thanks!

Brendan

I'd suggest a film body. Full frame, no filters, etc. £1500 gets a very decent M film body.

Thought about it. Gave up film 10 years ago, no space for a darkroom, no time, fully digital workflow, and hate the appearance of scanned film. So that's a non starter.

Hi Brendan,

When the M8 was first released, I also made the switch from SLR's to a Rangefinder. The M8 is an awesome camera and the perfect learning tool when you are new to RF's. Apart from a few technical features and the full frame vs crop factor issues, the M8 is an excellent tool.

Aside from that is is does make an excellent backup body to the M9 - or you can use both when you shoot with different focal lengths without having to change lenses.

Go for it, at least that way by the time you get your M9, you will have gotten the hang of RF's.

Andreas

PS: The 75 Cron makes an excellent portrait lens on the M8

Edited by andit
Added the PS

To get into digital RF right now a used M8 would be a good idea. It would not lose much value in the few weeks before your M9 arrives, just like it hasn't in the few months since the M9 launch. To just use your lenses now you could consider a µ4/3 body + adapter - new even - that could also serve as a backup later.

To get into digital RF right now a used M8 would be a good idea. It would not lose much value in the few weeks before your M9 arrives, just like it hasn't in the few months since the M9 launch. To just use your lenses now you could consider a µ4/3 body + adapter - new even - that could also serve as a backup later.

Yes I know, but I used an E400 for a while and I consider the 4:3 sensor 'spawn of the devil' for chroma noise. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole......

A little bit of warning, after using the M8 you might decide that you really don't need a FF rangefinder, and you might just fall in love with the M8 IQ. The M8 has a different brush compared to the M9 IMHO. In that case if you get both you might want to use the M9 as your back-up for those times when you will really really need the extra pixels (noise is only slightly improved on the M9). :-) LOL.

I'm including here an environmental portrait shot of my Compadre Max done this week with my M8. Again, if you get one, you might not want to give it up. :-)

Edited by wilfredo

Who in the UK are you ordering your M9 through? I was originally told 6 months but then Leica store in Mayfair got one for me in less than 1!! They said the inaccuracy in delivery estimates is down to them never really knowing when and how many M9s they will get. Plus a lot of people on their waiting lists change their mind when faced when actually paying out £5k!! My advice is to give them a try.

Don't do it! I sold the M8 after two weeks (2000 USD lnib), cause the M9 is SOOOOO much more

Yes indeed, $5000 more, after selling your M8 :p

A little bit of warning, after using the M8 you might decide that you really don't need a FF rangefinder, and you might just fall in love with the M8 IQ. The M8 has a different brush compared to the M9 IMHO. In that case if you get both you might want to use the M9 as your back-up for those times when you will really really need the extra pixels (noise is only slightly improved on the M9).

The M9 has some nice improvements over the M8, but having used both, IMHO IQ is the least of them. That's not a slam against the M9, it's a testament to the capabilities of the M8. The M9 uses the same chip architecture as the M8 which already squeezes out very nearly all it has to offer.

Edited by bocaburger