Sign in to follow this  
fffaaazzz

Would like to have Leica M6 inspected and certified that it's in top condition

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I'm embarrassed to say that I have a Leica M6 with a 35mm aspeherical lens that I've used less than 10 times! I bought it about 10 years ago. It's in perfect condition and I'm thinking of selling it on eBay. Before I do, I want to get it inspected and certified that it's in perfect working order. Do you have any suggestions on how much this would cost? Also, where would be the best place to have this done? Leica USA Headquarters? Thanks in advance for your help. Reading this forum makes me want to keep the camera and start using it! If I decide to keep it, I still want to have it inspected.

You could send it to DAG for a CLA. You would have to e-mail him to ascertain the cost.

Chris

Edited by andybarton
Please do NOT place people's email addresses in posts. Thanks

Hi All,

I'm embarrassed to say that I have a Leica M6 with a 35mm aspeherical lens that I've used less than 10 times! I bought it about 10 years ago. It's in perfect condition and I'm thinking of selling it on eBay. Before I do, I want to get it inspected and certified that it's in perfect working order. Do you have any suggestions on how much this would cost? Also, where would be the best place to have this done? Leica USA Headquarters? Thanks in advance for your help. Reading this forum makes me want to keep the camera and start using it! If I decide to keep it, I still want to have it inspected.

If you do decide to sell the camera after having it serviced make sure to mention the recent service and include the invoice with the camera when you sell it.You could even include a photo of the service invoice in the listing.

Hello fffaaazzz,

Welcome.

If your 35mm lens is a 1.4 that actually says "Aspherical" as opposed to "Asph." on the lens mount itself then you have something which is more desirable from the point of view of a collector. There were not that many of the longer spelling version made (a somewhat different lens optically). In terms of a lens to actually use, the shorter spelling version is an exceptional lens by anyone's standard. Both are the photographic equal of each other.

BTW: Many people would say the combination you have (regardless of spelling) is as good as it gets for 90% of all of the photographs you might well take for the rest of your life.

Another thought: If you have the longer spelling you might check + see how the price differential between the two will effect your life, or not, before you begin cleaning or using it (Please don't even dust it until you decide. Original condition can sometimes be significant.).

Enjoy, whatever your decision is, that's what all this stuff is about, you know.

Best Regards,

Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

Fire it at 1/15 and if it makes a regular ping pongggg sound put a film in it and shoot away.

You would be unlucky to have it go wrong after ten years.

As suggested if the lens says 'Asph' on nameplate dont worry but if it says 'Aspherical' it is a low volume collectible, you can pop it on the forum classifieds, buy collection of lenses on proceeds, shoot lots more film in M6. The collector is probably better performer but not detectable so on film.

Noel