Coffee ring cured by itself

Steve Ash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M8.2 suddenly developed a coffee ring at the beginning this year. After the first consternation I came to the conclusion that it does not really hurt me in my shooting and that I could utilize it instead to prolong the warranty by sending the camera to Leica CS at appropriate time.

Today I realized at my surprise that the coffee ring cured by itself somehow and disappeared. Has anybody seen this before or has a reasonable explanition? Moreover I am keen to know if I can take it for granted that it will not appear again.

Regards

Steve

• Like 2

I believe that the coffee ring is caused by condensation (water) entering thru a minute crack in the LCD cover... In the beginning the condensation may disappear completely leaving no ring... But I would bet over time with successive amounts of condensation entering with dust and pollution that the dust and pollution will remain even when the condensation evaporates leaving a permanent ring :(

• Like 1

I am just about to send an M8 to solms to have the screen replaced for the same reason...

it would be kind of embarrassing if the ring were to disappear in transit...

BTW my M8 has been modified with new leather and also has had the M8 engraving removed- I have heard that Solms sometimes repair such things as a matter of course- is something like this likely to happen- or even possible?

Be great if they replaced the top plate- it is a little worn...

also does anyone have any idea a repair like this takes?

Jaques rather than guess what might happen, it might be better to speak with CS first, either by email or telephone. Let them know what you want or ask as many questions as you like. Your covering would have to be removed for disassembly so you should establish what you want to happen there. Very likely it would not be able to be re-fitted without damage at least. A replacement top plate would not be cheap. If it is worn or modified that would not be a warranty issue.

It is not unknown for Leica Camera to perform additional work for people without always charging for it, but when you have custom modifications involved it gets more complicated.

I am just about to send an M8 to solms to have the screen replaced for the same reason...

BTW my M8 has been modified with new leather and also has had the M8 engraving removed- I have heard that Solms sometimes repair such things as a matter of course- is something like this likely to happen- or even possible?

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have sent my M8 to Solms for repair of the coffee-ring problem under warranty.

They were very nice and polite before I sent the camera in and they returned it repaired - sort of. I can no longer see the coffee ring on the display, but it seems the display was not replaced! The repair documents only mention general check and cleaning of the camera, no replacement parts. But most importantly - my own protecting screen cover foil is still there on the display! So I am pretty sure the display was not changed, yet the problem vanished somehow:-)

Andrej

Can a person get a M8 or M9 top plate without the M8 or M9 engraving?

Scott

The leather will be lost if the camera has to be opened and if you don't tell them to leave it they will repaint the M8 engraving. However, sometimes Leica will ask you whether you want Vulcanite instead of the standard covering if there is special leather on the camera.

• 2 weeks later...