What is this? And is this real?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Firstly what is the large item in the small picture? Something to do with microscopes?

secondly is this Luffwaffen IIIc likely to be genuine WW2 luffwaffen issue? Any one know of a list of genuine serial numbers?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 partial quick answers :

1) The first item is an adapter for photo plates on microscopes : is well known and published on books (Laney, by sure)... I haven't one at the moment, so can't detail you the code.

2) Almost impossible to say if the Military engraving is an original one : definite figures on s/n assigned to military contracts are not available.

Firstly what is the large item in the small picture? Something to do with microscopes?

secondly is this Luffwaffen IIIc likely to be genuine WW2 luffwaffen issue? Any one know of a list of genuine serial numbers?

The Leitz rigid microscope camera is a MAKAM (you can read this code name on the body).

The engraving on the IIIc nº 385733 (produced in 1941-42) looks genuine : the Fl number (38079) is right and the engraving is neat. But you should look for other characteristics like a "Luftwaffen Eigentum" engraving (or defacing!) on the back, a red curtain...

thanks for the replies and info.

Is the MAKAM piece sought after?

The iiic has the engraving on the back- not defaced. Not sure about the shutter curtains. Are they always red on these military issue cameras?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thanks for the replies and info.

Is the MAKAM piece sought after?

Not so much, I think... is for passionate of very special items (consider also it is not strictly related to the Leica camera in itself) : but surely is a very fine item, and there are collectors who like and specialize on this field

definite figures on s/n assigned to military contracts are not available.

I have the complete list of them with type of cameras, lenses, dates, nr of contracts and address of consignement....

but not with me at this moment

if there is no urge I will tell you next month.

I have the complete list of them with type of cameras, lenses, dates, nr of contracts and address of consignement....

but not with me at this moment

if there is no urge I will tell you next month.

Do you refer to Cane list or do you have a better/different source ?

kind regards

The Leitz rigid microscope camera is a MAKAM (you can read this code name on the body).

The engraving on the IIIc nº 385733 (produced in 1941-42) looks genuine : the Fl number (38079) is right and the engraving is neat. But you should look for other characteristics like a "Luftwaffen Eigentum" engraving (or defacing!) on the back, a red curtain...

These MAKAM adapters were produced into the 1970's.

assuming the iiic pictured above is a genuine item- is anyone willing to hazard a guess as to its value?

I am fairly sure it is genuine- and interestingly enough I notice that the serial number is just 30 odd cameras before the iiic pictured on Mr Gandy's cameraquest site. Leica German Luftwaffe

Same production run?

assuming the iiic pictured above is a genuine item- is anyone willing to hazard a guess as to its value?

I am fairly sure it is genuine- and interestingly enough I notice that the serial number is just 30 odd cameras before the iiic pictured on Mr Gandy's cameraquest site. Leica German Luftwaffe

Same production run?

The photo certainly shows evidence of defacement of the rear of the top cover just where the Luftwaffen eigentum engraving should be.

That is the camera from the Gandy cameraquest site. The camera I am talking about has the engraving intact.

I would appreciate even ballpark guesstimates- but I will post a few pictures of the camera here once I have it in my hands later this week.

does anyone know which email address for Leica would be the best one to use to send a question about this camera to? Is it likely that leica will respond and have the information pertaining to the camera?

Also out of interest: at the auction where the camera was purchased there was a Mont en Sarre IIIc (though I thik it was actually a IIIa) It's condition was described as better than the Luffwaffen camera- yet it sold for a little less. However it seems that the Switzerland assembled Sarre cameras are the more rare- and possibly more valuable? If so then I think the one at auction sold for a very good price...

Along with the camera I am also expecting an unusual little OLEYO camera- and evaluations of it as well would be welcome. This is how it was described at auction:

"comprising metal-body camera with focusing screen and a Leitz Elmar 5cm. f/3.5 lens no. 501654 and a SBOOI 5cm. optical finder. condition 5"

and here it is:

Edited by jaques

OLEYO is quite rare afaik. It is a single-shot camera of the late 1930-ies. This one looks fairly complete, although from the picture the viewfinder seems to be sourced elsewhere. It should be there, but it looks quite clean in comparison.

Monté in Sarre - Sarre (or Saarland) is located between France and Germany - France not Switzerland. ;) I'll not bother you with a rundown on European history that caused a number of Leica cameras to be asembled there...:rolleyes: