Sign in to follow this  
frank_filippone

Would you pay for a FW update with some added Features?

Actually I think that the next firmware update will need a 'hindsight feature' which will allow it to be user programmed via the SDHC card so that it can be made to do things for which it was not originally designed but that might be considered essential in future. I would pay for this, of course;).

Does that mean we won't need to invest in viewfinder correction lenses any more?

Can't we hire Paul the octopus to help us work out what new features the M10 will have that can't be retro-fitted to the M9?

How come those same buyers were stupid enough to buy a camera that was missing something so vital?

your question obviously shows that yourself is excluded from the rest of us "the stupid " crowd.Congrats, what a great level of cultivation and cleverness........................Well, sorry you have to tolerate us the"'stupid" buyers.....................

can you elaborate who's mistake is that there is not enough memory.Is it a mistake of the loyal Leica photographers & buyers that spend 10ths of thousands quite frequently towards the company.How come a camera of that initial price to miss something so vital??????

Sorry Andy this is definitely not an adequate excuse .

I'm not making excuses for anything.

Who said it's a mistake?

The camera was designed 5 years ago. The camera does what it did when you bought it (and more). What's the problem?

This is just completely irrational, IMHO.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not making excuses for anything.

Who said it's a mistake?

The camera was designed 5 years ago. The camera does what it did when you bought it (and more). What's the problem?

This is just completely irrational, IMHO.

you are right Andy ,it just slept me that 5 years have passed from early 2007.IMHO

The camera went on sale in 2006, didn't it? Which means that it was designed in 2005/6. Which is around 5 years ago.

The camera went on sale in 2006, didn't it? Which means that it was designed in 2005/6. Which is around 5 years ago.

of course Andy, as Fellow Members JAAP and MJH wrote-few posts earlier- is because of "stupidity" of the "stupid"

buyer.Now my "stupidity" is more bearable -right Michael (mjh).........................................????????????????

I promise i will vigorously keep reading the posts of the non "stupid" -judging- members and hopefully in the future i will become more clever ,like them.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

of course as Fellow Members JAAP and MJH wrote-few posts earlier- is because of "stupidity" of the "stupid"

buyer.Now my "stupidity" is more bearable -right Michael (mjh).........................................????????????????

I think Jaap was being sarcastic there. Easily misunderstood on the internet, as we've seen elsewhere. Don't take it seriously.

Doug

Guest jarski
Now my "stupidity" is more bearable -right

Stupid is as stupid does.

Guest Chris M

Like I said, this AIN'T and up date, its a design flaw that finally got fixed, a day late and a dollar short. I'm happy after reading this thread that people are realizing that there are no free lunches here at Leica. 99% of rangefinder users don't even use the © shots anyways, making this bug fix mute:eek: Andy you make a very week argument, you have seemed to change your thoughts drastically from 18 months ago till now in reguards to how this "update" would unfold. Oh well, you should have taken the bet;)

Now whats your take on the X1's update? maybe a little passive?

cm

Oh do give it a rest, Chris.

The firmware was updated and the longer you claim that it wasn't the more ridiculous you appear to be.

I have far more important things to worry about than whether the X1 will get a firmware update tomorrow, next week, or next month, given that I don't own one.

M8 was announced sept.or oct 2006 and was available if not early 2007 then very late 2006.

Was widely available the first half of 2007 and has a commercial life 3 & half years now.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

your question obviously shows that yourself is excluded from the rest of us "the stupid " crowd.Congrats, what a great level of cultivation and cleverness........................Well, sorry you have to tolerate us the"'stupid" buyers.....................
Well, it is a bit hard to exclude myself, owning two M8s since day one. You might conclude, and this time rightly, that the word " vital" seems a bit, ummmm... overcharged?

I really can't see any real advantage in this lens selection menu. I have it on the M9 and only used it once, to figure out the correct coding for a ZM 21 Biogon. It is one of those menu items that one forgets to reset during use, screwing up all shots with coded lenses. The lenses that could benefit from the menu by not being suitable to be physically coded, the rare Summicron 35 aspherical springs to mind, are lenses that don't get any significant corrections in firmware, so coding/selection is superfluous anyway. Hardly a matter to start a major Internet campaign over. It is something a large number of users wouldn't miss if it were deleted from the M9.

I would direct you to the thread by Michiel from this afternoon, who decompiled both the M8 and M9 software. Unfortunately the thread seems to have disappeared. It turns out that this is not something that is compatible with M8 firmware in any way, so it has probably very little to nothing to do with memory. It is simply not a feature of the M8. The camera has been discontinued so there will be no features added, certainly no features that neccesitate a complete rewrite of the firmware. Leica will keep firmware up to date with bug fixes and adding new lenses (supposedly). End of story.

Edited by jaapv

M8 was announced sept.or oct 2006 and was available if not early 2007 then very late 2006.

Was widely available the first half of 2007 and has a commercial life 3 & half years now.

Bought my first M8 on November 9th 2006 in Vancouver, Canada. A number of people world-wide had them by that point in time. I got a second M8 in early December 2006. Not all that hard to get really. Still using both bodies frequently.

Best regards, Terry

It's amazing how quickly this thread just degraded...

Let's just put things into perspective. The Canon 30D was released in the same year as the M8. To say that it was Leica's problem that they didn't put enough processing power in the M8 to allow for more future functionality is like blaming Canon for not putting enough processing power in the 30D to allow live view or HD video recording. It's all rather silly.

Recall Moore's law for a moment which says that every 2 years, semiconductor technology will double in processing power. With the M8 nearing 4 years old, to say that it should perform like the most current generation of digital cameras is the equivalent of expecting 4 times the processing power from what would have been the best compromise between processing power, energy consumption for what the technology of the day could offer.

I say optimal because there's always a trade off between processing power and energy consumption. Sure Leica could have thrown in an Intel Core Duo processor into the M8 with money being no object but would you rather have a car battery attached to your M8 or have a battery life of 24 shots for that little Li-ion battery that comes with the M8 just so you can 'future proof' your multi-thousand dollar camera?