2.005 has arrived.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't been using Discrete Mode very often, but when I do, I keep checking the drive switch to be sure I didn't accidentally knock it from "S" to "C" for fear of croakng the shutter. Now with the bug fixed I can concentrate more on the photography and less on the camera. That's enough for me to call it worthwhile. I'm sorry for the folks who would really have used a lens menu, but lenses <35mm don't benefit from coding, and I coded my wides long ago.

Personally I'm pleased that there is a firmware update, any firmware update. To eliminate a major bug is no small deal.

That said I hope for some firmware goodies at another time, with any luck :)

Discrete shutter in continuous mode bug was fixed. You may need to reset your own settings in the menus after the update.

This is interesting. Leica say profiles will be lost. From reports here and in my camera they were not. One ? report says they were. Why the differences surely all should behave in the same way ? Did Leica cut and paste the instructions, previously settings were lost, or is this behaviour unexpected ?

For the same reason that people who update their computer OSs have different experiences, I expect.

"Just one of those things"

Yes but :)

They are all running other interacting programs and have "used" ie customised the software even if only adding a password or a user name. The camera firmware is fixed in that no user changes are possible, mine should behave exactly as yours does in operation, good grief how many coded lines is it ? I keep the current version on a 32MB card either that or three shots :)

BTW I am delighted Leica have supported a discontinued model, sure more would have been nice but look how long Canon took to even admit a problem in a new camera release. Given the memory constraints and cost of programming/testing I'm afraid that's it. Although we could have support for new lens releases I suppose, are there any missing ? I don't keep up as the price is not in my league.

Installed new firmware.

So far the chrome started peeling off the camera to reveal some grayish worn and chipped painting. The 8 in the "M8" front engraving partly erased in the bottom left side. The pic counter/battery level indicator went fubar. At first sight the sensor seems a bit swollen. There's a blinking caption on the rear screen telling me that in order to finalize the upgrade I have to issue a bank payment order in favour of Leitz and enter relevant SWIFT code in the camera menu. Anyone else?

Bruno

my profiles went AWOL

interstingly I seem to have forgotten what profiles I had as I was not using them

What to do?

1 make new profiles & not use them

2 forget about profiles altogether

While we're all updating...just wanted to mention something I've always done with digital cameras. I keep the latest firmware update on a small-capacity card in my camera bag in case I should ever need to re-load it away from home. In the case of my M8 I happen to have a genuine Leica-branded 64MB SD card leftover from (I think) a D-Lux-2 :D (With the M8 you need to flip the write-protect tab/switch to the locked position, otherwise the camera will delete the file off the card when it's done updating).

my profiles went AWOL

interestingly I seem to have forgotten what profiles I had as I was not using them

What to do?

1 make new profiles & not use them

2 forget about profiles altogether

I'd go for the 2nd option. Although I made some profiles myself, I stick to the same settings as I'm happy with them all the time. So I'd just recreate my main settings and wouldn't bother with other ones.

BTW my settings were left untouched.

Cheers,

Bruno