2.005 has arrived.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the heads-up, Nicole. Installed. Works great. Thankful. The new iTunes playlist features are great! I can easily access and use my playlists without any trouble and now I can see album artwork, too. Little small on the M8's display, but crisp. :p

Edited by wstotler

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far As I See, V2.005 Runs n my M8 without any Trouble. No Shutter-fault even when using the diskret-Mode in continous for 10 or more Pictures.

Lg

Dieter

Thank you, Dieter. If there were a little guinea pig icon, I'd insert it here! :D

I don't use C mode myself, but I had a rental M8 that went into shutter fault with discrete mode when I accidentally flipped the shutter into C mode (which is not that hard to do accidentally). With this bug fix, perhaps I will no longer worry about this at all. I know there will be howls, but something is better than nothing and personally if I had one thing I wanted, this would be it - having had the dreaded shutter fault problem with that rental camera.

Come on folks . . . .

It is an almost four year old model.Mine is anyway.

And it is working fine in the great majority of cases.

There was a problem and they fixed it.

Good show.

And, as noted above, we did not even had to re-set our profiles.

And, just for the record, Windows 7 extracted it automatically.

:)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They didn't charge you $500. It's free.

Sorry Andy, what I meant is that I did have the shutter fault problem due lack this this FW. Thus I had to send it in and they charged to fix it. As I said, except telling the how my camera got in that state, I did not push for getting fixed without charge.

I agree with Enrico. I don't get it. This bug has been known about since the last firmware update. Why now? Why bother? I suppose I should be more grateful but my reaction is pure puzzlement.

I wonder if they are worried about some kind of legal challenge or warranty infringement in the more litiginous markets they sell into.

LouisB

I just got used to working without those IR filters and the job is theatrical with tungsten lights so I will have to live with some reflections.

Try Heliopan IR filters. In the beginning I had a Leica filter on my E60 21 Elmarit and a B+W 486 on my E46 28 Elmarit because those were the 2 free ones I got with the M8, and they both gave me occasional reflections indoors with spot lights. Since I switched them over to the Heliopan brand, no more reflections. If you lay the 3 brands flat side by side under a light you'll see how much less the Heliopan reflects. I haven't found any overall color balance difference, but even if you're super critical it's still a lot easier than Photoshopping-out reflections.

Sounds like some folk here would rather Leica hadn't bothered.

Odd...

Andy, with the new firmware my camera is EXACTLY as it was before installing it.

I don't think Leica bothered all that much. With all the time it took to keep my M8 as it previously was, i think they could at least give me a little plus.

Not asking the moon, though, just a little thing to show me affiction ;)

Andy, with the new firmware my camera is EXACTLY as it was before installing it.

I don't think Leica bothered all that much. With all the time it took to keep my M8 as it previously was, i think they could at least give me a little plus.

One has to pay extra for affection..) For free you get something like 2.005 update.

Can not understand why leica can not develop a meaningful update ( M8 users expressed clearly what they want) and allow to download it for $300-$500. It would be an easy to execute and profitable project. It just requires a team of decent programers from India or Russia and several thousand (may be slightly more) dollars.

I understand that there are several leica owners who are not interested in a decent update... They'll stay with the old firmware.

Agreed, I could not care less about Leica producing new firmware for the M8 over all these months with many people complaining about no firmware update, happy to carry on taking photos with my digital box designed for just that which has worked just fine for the job it was intended.

However - Now Leica have produced a new firmware despite so many saying it may never happen I also feel it's a bit of a cop out on Leica's part to just offer this small fix, a fix that could of and should of been offered a long time ago as well and really wouldn't have taken much effort on Leica's part to have done back then either.

.................................. I haven't found any overall color balance difference, but even if you're super critical it's still a lot easier than Photoshopping-out reflections.

Or it's called "content aware fill" in Photoshop CS5. A most useful addition for removing unwanted items in an image. :).

Bob.

Guest tvleeskr

Install without any problem using my MacBook air, but what was fixed? I never use the silent shutter mode. The standard settings disappeared: no review, 2nd curtain flash and all that. But apart from that, no change??

Edited by tvleeskr

Guest tvleeskr
Discrete shutter in continuous mode bug was fixed. You may need to reset your own settings in the menus after the update.

Thanks Andy! I happen not to use the C mode, but keep up date to the most recent updates.