2.005 has arrived.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone managed to load it via a MAC yet ?

Whilst it downloads into the download manager, it doesn't extract. It keeps telling me there isn't an Application it recognises. Neither will it let me drag and drop the download into the card reader showing on the desktop.

Help please.

Installs, as normal, without any issues on a Mac

Download to wherever, double click on it, it extracts and creates an m8-2_005.upd file.

copy this file to the root of the sd card, pop card into camera, turn it on and do the update, simples.

The Installation pdf file also on the leica site tells how to do it and even has pictures to guide you.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone managed to load it via a MAC yet ?

Whilst it downloads into the download manager, it doesn't extract. It keeps telling me there isn't an Application it recognises. Neither will it let me drag and drop the download into the card reader showing on the desktop.

Help please.

Hi,

On a Mac, it should have already extracted itself during the download. If your Mac is set as standard, the file m8-2_005.upd should now be in your 'downloads' folder. Open the 'downloads' folder in the finder, and also open the SD card in the finder. You should now be able to drag and drop the m8-2_005.upd file from 'downloads' to the root directory of the SD card. :)

It's good that Leica fix bugs and to be honest that's all that I ever expected from this firmware. I own a D2x and once the D3 came out Nikon never offered any further firmware for the D2x at all - it's normal practice.

I work for a software company and we continue to fix bugs in old versions of software as long as we have users in support for maybe 2 or 3 years after it's replaced by a new version. We have looked at offering 'latest' functionality porting to the last previous version where possible but this is always a chargeable item.

I'd suggest the only way we'd get anything extra from Leica would be to start a campaign and suggest we'd pay for an upgrade. If enough people are interested then maybe Leica would do something though I somehow doubt there'd be enough take-up at a high enough price to make it viable. I also doubt we'd get consensus from would-be upgraders either, then of course there's those who don't have an M8 but who would have a view too :D

It's good that Leica fix bugs and to be honest that's all that I ever expected from this firmware. I own a D2x and once the D3 came out Nikon never offered any further firmware for the D2x at all - it's normal practice.

I work for a software company and we continue to fix bugs in old versions of software as long as we have users in support for maybe 2 or 3 years after it's replaced by a new version. We have looked at offering 'latest' functionality porting to the last previous version where possible but this is always a chargeable item.

I'm guessing this whole issue is going to blow-up into acrimony, so before it does, I'll just nip-in and say a couple of things. (I'll just preface my comments by saying I'm quite happy with my M8, and have had no malfunctions, whatsoever. I'm also almost exclusively shooting film again, so I don't really personally care about upgrades to the digital cameras).

1. Applying "normal practice" isn't necessarily wise, if you want your brand to stand out as special (a very good idea for a niche manufacturer)

2. If your company makes software, then updates are changes to your core product. The core product in this case is the camera. Only the delusional are someday expecting a full-frame upgrade for the M8, but other functionality (such as lens input) might reasonably have been expected by now (especially considering it was conceived as a means by which M8 users could be fleeced for what was essentially a design flaw inherent in the product).

The question really is this: what is the company's attitude towards its loyal customers? Do only the minimum, or stretch a little and offer them more? I would personally advise a niche operator to always do the latter. In my view, they would reap the benefits in the long-term.

As said, I'm pretty happy with the M8. But I can understand the feelings of those that hoped for more.

Mani

Andy - I assume that trs had a broken shutter from the problem that this firmware fixed. I think it's probably that expense that is being referred to here.

I'm afraid I'm sad to see the hair-trigger responses to this general issue of M8 updates again. Any chance we can all stay calm?

Apologies - no hair trigger here, just lack of sleep. I just thought that the implication was that Leica were charging $500 for the firmware

Now managed to load the update. Strange thing though, had to use my backup MAC which is a mirror image of my main machine, and this time no problems at all.

So out of interest tried again on the main machine, still the same problem !

Will have to do a bit of head scratching and call on the services of OZ MacMan (son in Australia).

FWIW - I've been pretty happy with the M8 and software. AWB is solid, the camera works well, exposure and color balance is now good. Other than upgrading it (gee, who wouldn't want that for free?), not much is needed. Sure, I'd like lens selection, a new shutter, better back glass.... etc. .

But its now a fine functional product. Its issues are part of buying into the new domain (digital range finder) early on, bleeding edge. I've had mine for a few years, since the beginning, and sent it back for some elec repairs, but since then, it just works.

Now managed to load the update. Strange thing though, had to use my backup MAC which is a mirror image of my main machine, and this time no problems at all.

Will have to do a bit of head scratching and call on the services of OZ MacMan (son in Australia).

Maybe the default application for opening zip files of your Mac has been changed (or erased) by accident. Just right-click the zip file in your Downloads folder, click "Open with" and select the application. That should work...

Which browser are you using? If it's Safari, then check in the general tab of the Safari preferences that you have ticked the 'Open safe files after downloading.' box. If this is ticked, the Mac will automatically unzip the downloaded file for you. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Nicoleica

Or $800 that my repairs came in at with shipping and taxes. More than half the price I paid for the camera, and even THEN my budget was stretched. I could have had a 8.2 with the quiet shutter and some warranty at that price. And not been without a camera for 2,5 months.

But glad I can now finally set the camera to Discreet Advance when needed.

Nicole,

The Safari preference panal is a mirror image of the one shown on your posting. Having looked in the Download Manage and checked out what is there, it seems to think the update is a Unix file !

What is also slightly odd, is during the download process it does not show the zipped icon at all, just a small dark grey rectangle with Unix written in it.

Hi Parigby.

Being a Unix based machine, the Mac tends to identify many non-Mac file type as Unix files. The .upd file will be identified as such. Rather than look in Download Manager, just look in the folder called Downloads using the finder. You should find the .upd file in there, and be able to drag it onto your SD card from that folder. :)

Normally the .zip file will be disposed of after the Mac has automatically unzipped it during the download. The one with the dark grey rectangle is the .upd file, and is the one you need.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What were you expecting ........... woops, shouldn't have asked that question .......... opens up another 'can of old worms'.

Regards, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

Lens selection manually. So I don't have to pay extra money to do 6 bit coding.

Or keep using sharpie every now and then.

Well I just took a bad fall and bashed my M9. RF out of whack. Off to Solms I guess. The point is, I am really glad I have two M8's in the kit that I know work reliably as I have the biggest assignment for the year about to descend on me next month. No way I will have the M9 back by then.

Damn! I just got used to working without those IR filters and the job is theatrical with tungsten lights so I will have to live with some reflections.

Rather than complain about my luck, I am glad to have two M8's as backup. They do a good job, but I do prefer the FF use of focal lengths on the M9.

Oh yes, my M8 firmware upgrades went smoothly.