2.005 has arrived.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks to Nicole for posting the information. I was using an older version of firmware as I did not want to incur shutter problems as some have experienced with inadvertantly using descrete advance while in the continuous release mode. I've found that the M8 now turns on much faster, auto color balance is much improved and I can now use 4GB cards! Happy happy, joy joy! I still do not know how much use the Auto ISO mode will get, but will certainly play with it in some situations. However, I wish Leica had seen fit to include an Off position in the self timer menu. But thanks anyway Leica, I now feel like I have a new(er) camera.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dutifully updating my M8 - delighted to know something have been fixed.

Though I never actually had a single problem with that camera, and never really expected it to do anything more than taking pictures when I pressed the shutter.. guess im far behind the times.

I haven't been using Discrete Mode very often, but when I do, I keep checking the drive switch to be sure I didn't accidentally knock it from "S" to "C" for fear of croakng the shutter. Now with the bug fixed I can concentrate more on the photography and less on the camera. That's enough for me to call it worthwhile. I'm sorry for the folks who would really have used a lens menu, but lenses <35mm don't benefit from coding, and I coded my wides long ago.

I hope the "Lens Menu" is part of the next upgrade; I like it a lot on my M9, and don't see why it wouldn't be just as good a feature on the M8/M8.2. So, hear me Leica, we want even more firmware upgrades for M8/M8.2 ---- as were promised. :)

Try Heliopan IR filters. In the beginning I had a Leica filter on my E60 21 Elmarit and a B+W 486 on my E46 28 Elmarit because those were the 2 free ones I got with the M8, and they both gave me occasional reflections indoors with spot lights. Since I switched them over to the Heliopan brand, no more reflections. If you lay the 3 brands flat side by side under a light you'll see how much less the Heliopan reflects. I haven't found any overall color balance difference, but even if you're super critical it's still a lot easier than Photoshopping-out reflections.

Hi bocaburger

Very interresting your input

I like shooting candles and with the m8 and leica ir filtres, this is just impossible

Do you think that with HeLiopan filters, it would solve my issue?

What is your appraisal for hoya filters?

Thanks for your help

Best regards

K

Hi bocaburger

I like shooting candles and with the m8 and leica ir filtres, this is just impossible

Thanks for your help

Best regards

K

I also had the same experience as bocaburger. When I used the Leica brand UV/IR filters, reflections were a pretty big issue. I then sold them and bought B+W filters instead. And while I still do experience reflections here & there, they are much less prominent than the Leica brand filters. I have no experience with Heliopan, but I can recommend you give B+W a shot too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi bocaburger

Thanks for your help

Best regards

K

I'll assume you mean lit candles :D I can't recall a candle-lit image I've taken recently, but in other reflection-causing scenarios (like a bar with those little overhead spotlight track lighting, or outside at night with streetlights) I got far less ghost/reflections with Heliopans than Leica or B+W. It's similar to the change between Leica (and other single coated) UV filters and the B+W "MRC" type. Why B+W's 486 filters aren't MRC I have no idea, because Heliopan's seem to be multicoated.

I can't guarantee you won't get any reflections, but that's true even with no filter on the lens. From my experience the Heliopans are better than the others. They're also more expensive (at least at B&H where I got mine).

Hoya's multicoated filters are good, but TTBOMK they don't make an IR-cut filter.

Edited by bocaburger

Thanks to Nicole for posting the information. I was using an older version of firmware as I did not want to incur shutter problems as some have experienced with inadvertantly using descrete advance while in the continuous release mode. I've found that the M8 now turns on much faster, auto color balance is much improved and I can now use 4GB cards! Happy happy, joy joy! I still do not know how much use the Auto ISO mode will get, but will certainly play with it in some situations. However, I wish Leica had seen fit to include an Off position in the self timer menu. But thanks anyway Leica, I now feel like I have a new(er) camera.
That must have been very old firmware...

Or $800 that my repairs came in at with shipping and taxes. More than half the price I paid for the camera, and even THEN my budget was stretched. I could have had a 8.2 with the quiet shutter and some warranty at that price. And not been without a camera for 2,5 months.

But glad I can now finally set the camera to Discreet Advance when needed.

Welcome to the forum, Sheepdog!

I don't understand the point you are making and cannot seriously believe that you bought a good M8 camera for much less than $1600. What cost you $800?

@garygsandhu. Such language!:eek: As far as I am aware, you get new image processing hardware and software along with each roll of fresh full-frame sensors on the earlier M series. The M8/9 cameras are still awaiting this capability. :)

That must have been very old firmware...
My guess would be 1.201 or earlier. :)

Jaap and Nicole... yes it was. Good guess :). I put off installing a later version because I was afraid of messing up the installation, while the camera did work so why fool with it. In retrospect, I can see that I had nothing to worry about, but when people throw around terms such as, "Root File," my lack of computer literacy and terminology can make me feel a little insecure.