2.005 has arrived.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hold on to your seats folks. Firmware 2.005 is now available for download in the owners area. I expect it will also be on the main download page shortly. :D:D

The only disclosed difference is the "Shutter Fault" fix, but that alone should save a lot of grief and worry. So smile and be happy, Leica still loves us. :D

Edit: It's now also showing in the main download area too.

Mod Edit: Link here:- http://us.leica-camera.com/assets/file/download.php?filename=file_4928.zip

Edited by andybarton

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool! Any other things that it does? I guess I'll need to learn how to download and install it. Have never need to do that yet.

Just follow the instructions exactly, although if you have a Mac, it will extract automatically into your downloads folder. Use an SD card if possible, and be sure to follow step 6. ;)

It's great that we have new firmware for the M8 but can someone please tell me what the instructions mean when they say to "extract" the firmware. I have downloaded it but then the computer asks me what file to save it to. I get lostafter that. Any help would be appreciatedd.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's great that we have new firmware for the M8 but can someone please tell me what the instructions mean when they say to "extract" the firmware. I have downloaded it but then the computer asks me what file to save it to. I get lostafter that. Any help would be appreciatedd.

Create a temporary folder and save the firmware into the folder, double click the file after it's been d/l'ed and the zipped file will be 'unzipped' (extracted). Simply copy the extracted file "m8-2_005.upd" into the root directory of your SD card and follow the rest of the instructions. Hope this helps.

Paul

And I still don't believe they charged me $500+ to fix their own fault. I am to blame partly because I did not want to parsue.

I better hurry and upload before I cause another shutter fault.

Thanks for the news.

It seems there is nothing more than fixing the old firmware bug after one year.

:confused:

What were you expecting ........... woops, shouldn't have asked that question .......... opens up another 'can of old worms'.

Regards, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

Not here you're not. No doubt there'll be a stream of "why didn't they add..." messages though.

Know what you mean Steve.

"Why didn't they add" a message on start-up to the effect that this is a great camera so why not go out and be creative with it? That's just what I'm going to do this weekend.

Cheers, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

Just out of interest, has anybody else noticed the 'Created date' and file size of the firmware in the Leica instructions? It doesn't seem to match reality, as the downloaded file gives a date of June 24th 2010, and a size of 5MB. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Anyone managed to load it via a MAC yet ?

Whilst it downloads into the download manager, it doesn't extract. It keeps telling me there isn't an Application it recognises. Neither will it let me drag and drop the download into the card reader showing on the desktop.

Help please.

They didn't charge you $500. It's free.

Andy - I assume that trs had a broken shutter from the problem that this firmware fixed. I think it's probably that expense that is being referred to here.

I'm afraid I'm sad to see the hair-trigger responses to this general issue of M8 updates again. Any chance we can all stay calm?