THE ORIGINAL FAQ THREAD

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

QUESTION: When I engage the focus aid's magnify feature nothing happens, why?

ANSWER: Assuming you have the function enabled in settings, there are three magnify modes (1x, 3x and 10x).

Chances are you are in 1x mode. Note the box in the lower left frame, this is a pictograph of the current zoom level. Use the thumb wheel to cycle thru 1x, 3x and 10x.

NOTE: Your last selection will be remembered and will appear next time you enable the magnify focus aid. For example if you prefer 3x, select it and the camera will always default to 3x mode when the feature is activated.

related questions;

QUESTION: Custom Wheel is set to EV compensation.  However, when i focus, I am not getting automatic magnification in LV, and the wheel is controlling magnification even though it is set to control EV compensation.

ANSWER: See 1st answer above. When focus magnification is enabled, the thumb wheel is temporarily assigned to focus aid magnification so the operator can select 1x, 3x or 10x magnification. To return to normal operation simply tap the shutter release and EV control will return to the thumb wheel. The last magnify mode selected will be the default mode next time you enable this feature.

an overview of the functionality:

USING FOCUS AID:

1- Enable Focus Aid in settings: Capture Assistants/Focus Aid (Manual or Automatic)

2- Engage focus aid by focusing the lens if in Auto or pushing the front button if in Manual

3- Select your preferred zoom level with the thumb wheel (1x or focus peaking only, 3x or 10x)

4- Focus the lens using the selected aids

5- Tap the shutter release to zoom out to normal view and shoot.

There is a visual aid to display which mode is selected in the bottom left of EVF or LV display.

Also you always have the option to instantly change the zoom level while shooting...its this flexibility that makes the feature extremely useful and adaptable to the scene.

QUESTION: Does the M10 support the newer UHS-II Cards?

ANSWER:  UHS-II cards will work in the M10, but the new UHS-II Pin Layout is not supported so you will see no speed advantage using these cards. As UHS-II cards support both pin configurations, they will work at UHS-I speeds.

UHS-I Cards support speeds up to 90MB/s which is sufficient to take advantage of maximum 5fps speed of the M10. Utilizing UHS-II cards could give you the advantage of faster transfer speeds to your computer or storage assuming you use an appropriate card reader, but offer no advantage in the camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

QUESTION: Does the M10 display the images date and time information in playback?

ANSWER: When in playback mode, you can hit the center button to bring up image information including;

WB, image type, exposure mode, lens, battery, histogram, image number exposure mode, ISO, EV, shutter speed and remaining frames.

To view the image date and time, use the thumbwheel to zoom out to thumbnail view. As you scroll thru the images the exposure number and time and date information are available for each image.

Question: I always get more on my image than I see in the framelines.

Answer:

There are a number of considerations:

1.On film, except for the school that prints including the perforations, there is always an edge lost, be it in the enlarger film carrier, the lab or the slide frame. In digital that is not the case.

2.On film there was a time lag between the taking of the picture and the viewing of the print.

3. The most important factor: A lens changes its angle of view when focussing. The easiest way to visualize this is to think that the lens gets longer (i.e. more tele) as you focus closer. So it will have a smaller field of view at the closest focussing distance. That can be up to 20% difference.
That means that the framelines can only be accurate at one focussing distance, in the case of the M10 at 2 meters. At all further focussing distances you will get more on the image than the framelines show.
For a 50 mm lens allow one frameline thickness outside the frame at 3 m and three frameline thicknesses outside the frame at infinity. Experience will teach you how to handle this phenomen.

Jaap, you struggled manfully with this and are quite correct - but even Leica is a bit technocratic in trying to describe this rather organic (variable, inherent in the materials) effect.

Sometimes pictures are worth 1000 words?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question:
Is it necessary to have previous firmware versions loaded in order to load the latest (2.4.5.0)?
I still have my original firmware from when I bought mine. Can I skip the previous updates?

Thank you for all help!!

Answer:
by Jaapv

There is no need to load intermediate updates. You can safely install the newest firmware update directly, it replaces the previous firmwares.

• jaapv featured this topic