M8 owners should buy new lenses NOT an M9?

Guest BigSplash

Guest BigSplash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M8 and think it is superb and I have a range of lenses most of which are of 1970 to 1980 vintage. I have had the chance to use some latest lenses from Leica such as 35mm new ASPH Summilux , 18mm ASPH and the 75mm ASPH Summicron. It seems to me that the new lenses are sharper and have higher contrast although the older lenses remain excellent with a bouket of their own.

The question is should one invest £5000 in an M9 or buy two new ASPH lenses...for me it is a no brainer, buy the lenses and use on the M8. Anyone agree or think that is wrong?

Isn't the answer obvious? It depends upon whether you want or need new lenses or a new body, doesn't it?

If you are satisfied with the rendition from your old lenses and you have £5,000 sitting there burning a hole in your pocket, then buy an M9. If you're not, and you already have an M8, then buy some lenses.

But, and this is only my opinion of course, if you want to get the best out of any of your lenses and not just crop out the sweet spot in the middle, new or old, then the M9 is really the only way to go if you want to remain in the land of digital.

The end result is the important thing, not what is newest, or "best". If I need sterile sharpness or have more money than sense I will buy the current 50 Asph. If I am more concerned with the image than my image then I will buy the lens or lenses that give me the best combination of performance, desired rendition, handling and weight.

Oh wait - that's what I've done.

And if I had £5000 burning a hole in my pocket I would divert at least some of it to buying a copy or two of the Leica Forum Book and doing something for charity.

Regards,

Bill

The question is should one invest £5000 in an M9 or buy two new ASPH lenses...for me it is a no brainer, buy the lenses and use on the M8. Anyone agree or think that is wrong?

Invest is not the right word when considering the purchase of an M9 or any digital camera body. Even with the new lenses at current prices you would have to wait some time before you could recoup your cost on the used market. And of course the lenses are different on the M9 compared to the M8.

If you can get the notion of 'invest' out of your mind and just go for 'purchase and enjoy' then maybe your choice will become clearer.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whatever works for the individual's needs, desires and discretionary income is the right choice for them of course.

More importantly those lenses old or new will still work just fine if you decide to change to the M9.

I can't agree with Bill's opinion on the Summilux 50 ASPH though. Each to his own, naturally.

Just don't look at what the M9 can produce from any of the high end modern designs such as that one and the APO Summicron 75 ASPH if you want to remain content and in control of that extra currency ;)

Well for me, buying lenses is still the priority. Increasing my lens selection has done much more for my creativity than just buying the next best thing with the latest technological improvements. When I first bought my M8 in 2007, I only had the 35mm Summicron and the 28mm Elmarit. Since then I have bought, all used, the Noctilux, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Tele Elmarit, 135mm Elmarit and the 280mm Telyt with the Visoflex 3. Now for the shock! The lenses that have impressed me the most are the Voigtlander 15mm Super Wide Heliar and the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 Nokton. Both lenses are tack sharp and have mind blowing performance for the cash. In fact, why not consider some of Voigtlanders offerings, and put your cash away for the M9 later in it's production run, or even get the M9.2 or M10. I am looking at another M8 as a spare to hold me over until the M9.2 or M10 comes out. The M9 is better than the M8, but not so much if you would rather have more lenses. I would rather expand my glass collection and then benifit from the improvements coming with the M9.2 or M10

Just take pictures.

Don't argue about firmware, just take pictures.

Don't argue about full frame, just take pictures.

Don't argue about ASPH vs. non-ASPH, just take pictures.

Don't argue about Leica vs. other, just take pictures.

Don't fret about coding, non-OEM batteries, or the phase of the Moon, just take pictures.

And remember, just take pictures. :D

• Like 1

I loved my M8 but yesterday i got the M9 and i am happier than i imagined i would be with the camera and 35 1.4 asph.

For me, the answer is to have the M9 and a fast 35mm. 35mm wasn't quite wide enough for me on the M8, and the image quality is fantastic, i've no regrets at all.:D

I have an M8 and think it is superb and I have a range of lenses most of which are of 1970 to 1980 vintage. I have had the chance to use some latest lenses from Leica such as 35mm new ASPH Summilux , 18mm ASPH and the 75mm ASPH Summicron. It seems to me that the new lenses are sharper and have higher contrast although the older lenses remain excellent with a bouket of their own.

You don't mention the third option, keep what you've got and enjoy it. I had almost all the ASPH lenses, now I have none. The prior generation lenses do just fine. I had a chance to use an M9 and while I liked it, it didn't leave me at all dissatisfied with the M8.

But if you have the desire and the money, do what you like regardless of what others say or do. Life is short.

I decided to just keep my M8 and the lenses I have, as I have the focal lengths I use covered with the M8 and I don't see enough of an improvement in the M9 to justify the new cost for me.

I will wait until either I see second-hand M9's at a price I like, or there is a new model with a substantially improved sensor.

The best advice I ever got regarding cameras (from a dealer) was "never be in a hurry to buy anything".

got my canon 35L on my 5d mark 2, it's a fantastic combination. Much better than my M8.2 with my 35lux. Tried the M9, not significantly better, but i enjoyed the ff with the 35 view.. I will wait 3 to 5 years for an M10 for better dynamic range and better iso performance..

It all depends on your needs as others have already pointed out. I decided to stay with the M8 and will consider the M10 when that happens. I just invested in a 50mm Summilux ASPH, and for me that was the better option. I'm just blown away by how well it performs wide open @ f/1.4 It replaced my 50mm Hexanon which was very similar to the Summicron. I could not be more happy. Here's a sample shot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wilfredo,

Glad you finally managed to get hold of a 50 Summilux asph and I suspected you might fall under its spell like many of us. :rolleyes: I look forward to seeing some more of your superb work with it.

Frank,

Just do what you want to do - you will anyway because you seem to take heed of very little of what is said to you here.

The third option is to send the £5,000 to me and I'll 'invest' it for you.

Pete.