The next Lecia M film camera

Nikkor AIS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you know what? At 00:15 after a couple of decent Macallans, things look different...

Please, don't post gratuitous photos in non photo threads. It makes the whole experience worse for those of us (including me, now) who access via iPhones and other "restricted" devices.

If you open a non-photo thread, and suddenly find yourself confronted by non-relevant photos, downloading via your monthly mobile allowance, you get a bit pissed-off.

Thanks.

Gregory, PLEASE get out of the habit of sticking a random picture or five in your EVERY post. It is BLOODY IRRITATING for those of us accessing the Forum on Smartphones.

Thank you!

Regards,

Bill

Bill

Please do not quote gratuitous photo threads with external links ;)

Somtimes I get the feeling there is an inside joke in this place and Im not in on the funny:rolleyes: At any rate I"ll go along to get along. But I must say I Im confussed why this issue of posting shots the lecia M7/MP which have been mentioned several times in this thread are now deemed non- relevant? Is that because you say they are. I guess the shot of the next generation Leica shooter wasnt relevant. Or is it because you cant go out of the house without you little devices.

Has anyone considered that there are new members joining this forum who have never seen a Leica M7/MP before. And like I said since these are the only two film cameras that Leica is presently making it seems relative enough for me. Especailly when we might hope for the next Leica film camera to be better. And after all we having a dicussion about the next Leica film camera and if so its seems logical to start with with is already availible. And what could be improved on in the next model. (Yes/no?) Secondly, I dont remenber saying this was a non photo thread? Or do we have be carefull to not make are points more lucid by inserting photo examples because of some members little devices? Thirdly why didnt someone say something with first post/photo.

So I was going to post a shot the Lecia M7 with a motor drive but would like further clarification so I dont post a non relevant (deemed by some) unless of course I first mentioned that I would like to see the next film M moter drive be a little bigger with a faster FPS.

Im sorry if Im sounding cheeky. Im just try to get my bearings in this strange land.

Instead of a photo,

( just imagine a Leica M7 with Leica Motor Drive atttached and a 50 1.0 Noctilux attached on a wood table.) The plane of focus is tilted to accenuate the motor and the M7 logo. :)

Gregory

"Never get in a fight with a pig. You will just end up getting dirty and pig likes it.

Read the forum rules.....Please keep the sections on topic. For example, photos go to the photo forum please. The M8 forum stays for technical topics please.

It's generally accepted that a photo which is necessary to illustrate a point, eg photo of damage to a lens say for repair advice, but otherwise post the photos in the photo forum and include a link in threads.

I too access the forum from my phone, as do a number of other members I know of so yes, it's a very valid point.

In my opinion the photo rule should be handled loosely as a photo could well add to the discusion. Even if it is for fun only. For the guys using mobile connections I recommend proper data flate rates.

Back to the original discussion I think Leica indeed shoot think about how to celebrate the 100 year Barnack anniversary. In my pov there are two options

a) an improved film rf camera

B) a MF rangefinder based on S2

Regards

Steve

PS: actually I suggested option b to S. Daniel but he left me alone with a laugh ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Peter I think that there simply isn't sufficient demand for Leica (or anyone else) to introduce a new dedicated film scanner. Other manufacturers have pulled out of the market for the same reason (Nikon for example).
Geoff I understand all this. Unfortunately I missed out on a Hasselblad Imacon a couple days ago. :( But if Leica are selling those digital Pradovits at $15000 or so I think they could sell a quality multi-format scanner too. It can be 3rd party but the emphasis is on the word quality. Looks like Hasselblad will be the answer.

In my opinion the photo rule should be handled loosely as a photo could well add to the discusion. Even if it is for fun only. For the guys using mobile connections I recommend proper data flate rates.

Even if you have unlimited data it still means that it takes ages to get into the thread whilst the images download. No need or point in adding images unless they are essential to the thread IMHO. Links work much better.

Even if you have unlimited data it still means that it takes ages to get into the thread whilst the images download

Providers in the UK at least are switching from unlimited data contracts to limited ones. O2 for example are moving from unlimited data with an iPhone to 500 meg a month. Most of the other Telecoms people seem to be doing the same.

Somtimes I get the feeling there is an inside joke in this place and Im not in on the funny:rolleyes: At any rate I"ll go along to get along.

It's very simple. We are all guests here. We follow the house rules. We do not smoke in the kitchen. We do not crap in the plant pots. We do not card-dump in threads. Above all we are not thoughtless and selfish, using every thread as an excuse to publicise our own photography, no matter how tenuous the connection to the subject matter or how much it may irritate and cost our fellow members.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Bill

Absolutely. And of course they cost you nothing, take no time to load and can be easily ignored by the disinterested, unlike misplaced family snaps dumped in a thread that slap you in the eye for no good reason.

Oh, and please do not forget the most important link of all in my signature - the one to the ordering page for the Leica Forum Charity Book - do you have yours yet?

Regards,

Bill

Edited by bill

I too am disappointed that data is being capped. But, in my experience, the data service provided by Orange is so diabolical that the point being made is moot.

I will most definitely not be renewing my contract with them in 18 months time. (And I thought O2 were bad... At least they provide visual voice mail and 3G in central Manchester)

Perhaps you guys should start another thread about your little devices:rolleyes:

And Bill, the fact that I included some personal pictures is totally relevant in the fact that the future of the next film camera and film use it self is in the next generation. So feel free to leave the thread at your leisure as clearly you have nothing of substance to offer in this thread.

The next Lecia Film camera is the discussion.

Gregory

"to understand the new you first must study the old"

Not taking sides here, but is it reasonable for desktop/laptop users here to conform to the needs of mobile web browsers, or should the mobile users conform to the standards of desktop/laptop users?

When I browse the web with an iPod Touch I expect to have a less complete experience than I have with my MacBook Pro. That's the way it is. I don't tell everyone to descend to my level. I love your curmudgeonliness, Bill, but in this case I would say you should look at the forum when you get home rather than chastise those who post images.

Chris

OK, I did take a side!

Not taking sides here, but is it reasonable for desktop/laptop users here to conform to the needs of mobile web browsers, or should the mobile users conform to the standards of desktop/laptop users?

What's reasonable is for users to conform to the (few) rules of the forum. Quite how a thread about the next Leica camera is enhanced by showing three of the old ones is beyond me. Personally I saw that as someone saying "hey guys, I have three Leicas, here they are". Perhaps that's my problem.

Well, if it's true that the end of Leica's analog M range is nigh, I'm pleased to have invested in a mint M7 and mint++ a la carte MP this month. As her tears fall on the bank statement, my wife is telling me to care for it all lovingly - because it's going to fund her round the world trip fling when I'm dead and gone (mmm, she is joking, isn't she?):confused:.

If the rumours are true, those two Leica bodies are going to be one hell of an investment, because I can't see the growing enthusiasm for film and mechanical excellence dying any day soon.

Call me a Luddite if you like, but as one who has been around cameras and serious photography for 50 plus years - and who after 40 years of SLR and 12 years of using digital, has enthusiastically re-embraced film and rangefinders - I just can't see the end of film occurring over the next couple of decades or more. Wasn't it B&H who recently reported that in the past 6 months, its sales of B&W film had risen considerably? Ilford for one, is clearly fully committed to continuing production of pro-quality film.

Peter no Hasselblad product will ever appear with a Red dot on it though. You may know that they are direct competitors now of course.

Looking at the prices of those scanners, you would REALLY have to want one! I can Locally one I looked up cost 2 M9s and the other an S2.

Hmm.

Geoff I understand all this. Unfortunately I missed out on a Hasselblad Imacon a couple days ago. :( But if Leica are selling those digital Pradovits at $15000 or so I think they could sell a quality multi-format scanner too. It can be 3rd party but the emphasis is on the word quality. Looks like Hasselblad will be the answer.

...I would say you should look at the forum when you get home rather than chastise those who post images.

Last time I looked we are in the 21st century now... :rolleyes: Like it or not mobile browsing is a fact, and a rapidly growing one.

I also suspect, Chris, that you have a 9-5 job that gets you home at a reasonable time every evening. ;)

Be honest - how hard is it to refrain from putting happy snaps into a factual thread, and thereby not causing inconvenience and cost to others? Let's have a go...

--o-0-o--

Now, Gregory, let me offer you something "of substance".

I am a heavy film user; probably 70+% of my photography is done on silver halide. I am committed to using film for as long as I can, and I freely expect some of my cameras to outlive me, as they have outlived their previous owners, and to be used by generations to come.

What I don't do is live in a fantasy world where I expect there to be any serious investment in new film cameras by any manufacturer who wishes to remain in business in today's world.

Your original question was "...what is what is the next Leica film camera.

Is there room to improve over the M7/MP?", un-necessarily punctuated by a packshot to prove that you have four nice shiny Leicas - I fail to see the value in that.

I predict that the next Leica film camera will be a "special edition" using up the old parts that are otherwise going to waste. It will contain no new functionality, no radical changes to form, function or capability.

Let's leave the wishlists to the digital bloatware bunnies, eh?

--o-0-o--

There you go. I managed to write a whole post without uploading a single image. It can be done.

Regards,

Bill

I also suspect, Chris, that you have a 9-5 job that gets you home at a reasonable time every evening. ;)

Bill

Oh, I wish. How I wish. I get up at 5am and go do paperwork in the office, then rounds and procedures at the hospital, and then the office to see patients and then back to the hospital. I get home around 7pm barring problems, but I may have to go out again as I'm on call for my inpatients 24/7 and have managed to take a week off once in the last ten years (the first Ring Cycle in Canada required a special effort). There are two days each year when I don't do rounds, which are when I am at the obligatory refresher course. Strange how nearly all my photos are of immediate family and the view off my back deck (which I shall refrain from inserting here in deference to you!) I carry my MBP with me all day, and have wireless access at office and home. No mobile browsing for me in your sense as cellular service has only recently come to this part of rural Nova Scotia, and hasn't impressed me so far. 25 years ago I needed to find a working phonebox in north London to answer my pager and couldn't begin to afford a cell phone in a bag. Now all the kids use cellphones all day long and I hate the way they keep me connected to work!

To return to the issue, I accept that mobile browsing is a reality for some. But wouldn't it be just a bit annoying if all websites had to 'dumb down' to suit the average mobile browser's needs? I can see that the owner of LUF wouldn't want to go to the effort of making a simplified site for mobile users, and I can see also that mobile software writers don't want to admit there are limitations to the mobile browsing experience by including a pref such as "Don't download images unless requested". What to do? Well, if as Steve says the forum rules say no photos, we have no debate. But the only rules I have found say only this: The maximum image size is 960 x 640 pixels and with a file size not exceeding 240 Kb. As a sign of respect towards users having no broadband internet access a single post should not contain more than three photos.

Hmm. The actual forum rules don't say no images outside the photo forums. Now I have gathered over the years that the mods tend to frown on promiscuity in image posting, and I respect that they must have their reasons. Perhaps there should be a clarification in the rules. Being the admin of another forum (not photographic, but devoted to wetshaving since I love straight razors) I understand there are sometimes unwritten rules that have yet to make it into the published version. So much as I appreciate a well-fermented eruption of ripe curmudgeonliness, I still can't see why the forum has to conform to the needs of a Blackberry/iPhone-type browser, unless or until such users become the majority. I am open to persuasion in case there is some aspect of this that I am missing....

We have wandered far off topic here and perhaps this had best be continued in another thread in the Customer Forum or something?

To get us back on topic I suggest that the final Leica analogue camera, the M7P (also available as the MP7 for true dinosaurs), will be a selection of existing features of each.

Black paint or chrome

0.58, 0.72, 0.85 finders available

MP style rewind knob

MP style film advance lever

M7 electronic shutter with 1/2000 available

M7 electronics for metering, including aperture priority automatic and TTL flash (:()

No DX ISO detection

Traditional engraving on the top plate. Lots.

Vulcanite covering (no crocodilians, flightless birds or anorexic models harmed during the making of)

Leicavit available as an option

Dedicated film scanner available as a separate purchase (rebadged KM 5400, Coolscan 5000 will do nicely)

Chris