Nikon MF lens on Leica M6/MP

dw3645

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know this would be a strange question, like why would someone wanna use Nikon lens on a Leica M6/MP?!

Well...I am on a tight budget. I can probably afford to get a M6 second hand body, but maybe awhile till I have enough funds for a proper Leica lens. I have a Nikon FM2 with a few MF lenses. Can I use those on a M6 with the right adaptor?

Will your funds stretch to a Cosina / Voightlander lens, even second hand?

Well...I just thought I have 3 Nikon lenses here, 28/50/100mm. And if I can use them on the M6, then I don't have to buy other things for now and just save the money for a Leica lens.

I know the CV lenses are much cheaper than Leica or Zeiss lenses, but still forking out the funds is a bit hard for now.

Trouble us that you won't be able to focus properly (except by using the focus scale), your framelines will not be called up properly and you might not even be able to focus to infinity. Do a google search for Nikon to M mount adaptors.

The worry is that you will be so put off by the experience that you won't enjoy the M.

Buy an M2 and a CV 35mm instead of the M6

Trouble us that you won't be able to focus properly (except by using the focus scale), your framelines will not be called up properly and you might not even be able to focus to infinity. Do a google search for Nikon to M mount adaptors.

The worry is that you will be so put off by the experience that you won't enjoy the M.

Buy an M2 and a CV 35mm instead of the M6

hmmm.....that's probably not so viable! Maybe I should just save up for more.

I mean I thought about the M2, but it doesn't have internal Metering, so I'm a bit scared to go down that path.

A £50 Weston Meter will sort that out.

I started with an M2 and a 50 Summicron and an old Weston. I still use all three.

Don't be frightened of it... You will certainly learn more about using a Leica if you use one without a meter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I saw Voigtlander make one attach on the shoe. Do they just work like the one in-built the camera?

With the M2, it has that manual film counter. That doesn't mean I have to spin the wheel manual myself after every shot does it!?

Also, should I use a handheld Light meter or the one on top of a camera?

Edited by dw3645

The Voightlander meter sits in the shoe and will tell you what exposure you need.

If you use a Leica one, (a Leicameter) it will also set the shutter speed for you too (very clever - I use one and it's surprisingly accurate).

The exposure counter automatically adds one every time you take a shot.

I use both / either the Leicameter and a Weston (I use the Weston with my Hasselblad too and my wife's IIIf) and they both give excellent exposures.

Here's my M2, with a Leicameter, the 50 Summicron and an M grip. A great combination that still takes perfect photographs (subject to my skill...) 50 years after it was made.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by andybarton

Wow....the Leica one is heaps cool then!!

I have to do some searching to see if I can get a good deal on all those things.

It's hard to find one in good condition. The better one aren't that cheap either, that's why I thought I just go with M6.

How about the CL?

CLs are good cameras, but they are almost impossible to service if something major goes wrong, as they were made by Minolta, who have a different idea about long-term support ;). Any M, and indeed virtually any Leica rangefinder, can still be serviced by Solms or any number of independent people around the world. Worth considering...

Have a look at one of the sponsor adverts at the top of the page to see what's available in the M2 line. I'd be amazed if Red Dot didn't have several to choose from, for example.