http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/122387-broken-m8.html

Quote:

I just got a reply from Leica (via the local shop) what they did to my M8:

- clean display

- adjust range finder

- clean range finder

- adjustment of all parts

- cleaning and end control

Just a CLA but nothing to fix the shutter fault error.

BUT,... a small paragraph about the upcoming firmware update:

"Attn.:

Shutter fault in C-Mode" this is a bug inside the firmware and should be gone with the next firmware update.

New firmware is being tested now and as soon as we have the ok, it will be available for download on our homepage."

Looks like us M8:ers have something to look forward to, that is if the firmware includes other improvements than just the shutter issue.

Edited by steinzeug

@steinzeug: ahhh you just beat me to it! I was just about to open an new thread on Solms's reply :-)

The shop owner was enthusiastic about the news aswell. He used about ten !-marks in one email:-)

We will just have to wait and see when it will be available for download.

I'm excited, also.

Updated firmware that's smooth running, well-tested, contains bugfixes, and *maybe* has enhancements, will be excellent.

Thanks,

Will

Edited by wstotler

What to say about this?

(read to the end...)

"Attn.:

Shutter fault in C-Mode" this is a bug inside the firmware and should be gone with the next firmware update.

New firmware is being tested now and as soon as we have the ok, it will be available for download on our homepage."

If that is a firmware fault...I could still live without any further firmware improvements...other than this one.

Guest Chris M

don't hold your breath for to long, my guess is what I said all along, maybe by the end of this year?;)

the end, chris m.

don't hold your breath for to long, my guess is what I said all along, maybe by the end of this year?

I do hope you're wrong and that the OP's E-mail was correct. But, I'm not holding my breath, so no worries. :D

Originally Posted by Chris M viewpost.gif

And anybody who even bothers to read this far into this post should have the message by now, it is unfortunately not going to happen, I would love to wager a far bet on that , lets say how about a $1,000.00?? ---- As I mention, My source in NJ has stated to me that " THERE WILL BE NO M8 FIRMWARE UPDATE IN THE NEAR OR FORCEABLE FUTURE AT THIS POINT"

chris m.

don't hold your breath for to long, my guess is what I said all along, maybe by the end of this year?;)

the end, chris m.

And anybody who even bothers to read this far into this post should have the message by now, it is unfortunately not going to happen, I would love to wager a far bet on that , lets say how about a $1,000.00?? ---- As I mention, My source in NJ has stated to me that " THERE WILL BE NO M8 FIRMWARE UPDATE IN THE NEAR OR FORCEABLE FUTURE AT THIS POINT"

chris m.

LOL :D

C´mon folks, let´s not let this thread get infected with scwablings like the previous firmware threads, let us instead be happy that Leica are testing new firmware for the M8, and if anything get a discussion going on what we would (feasably) like to see in it.

chris m.

OK So the new firmware will not be made in the USA :rolleyes:

If that is a firmware fault...I could still live without any further firmware improvements...other than this one.

Here we go again ;)

The question is: could you live with any other firmware improvements? Because this whole "firmware war" made it seems like the Leica crowd is divided into two:

1. Those who could not live without any further improvement... (I found it curious, as most people find themselves capable of living without their beloved wives, if they are happened to be dumped by her for a younger, smarter guy who does not spend his days/nights on the Leica forum...)

2. Those who, for some reason, could not live with any firmware improvements- and are highly passionate about how much they are not waiting for such improvements...

chris m.

AFAIK the future cannot be FORCED, so I would just sit back and see what the future brings in terms of updates.

I predict...

1. The realists will be happy

2. The optimists will be disappointed

3. The pessimists will be pleasantly surprised

4. The fantasists will start defining the next firmware release

5. The barrack room lawyers will demand an apology

6. The armchair CEOs will demand an AGM

...and anyone with an ounce of commonsense will go out and take some pictures. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill